Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This weekend's smoke Pulled Chicken and Babybacks for 40 people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This weekend's smoke Pulled Chicken and Babybacks for 40 people...

So, as I've mentioned before, my daughter is getting baptised on Sunday, and we're serving dinner to 40-45 friends and family. I'll be cooking all day tomorrow. We'll be doing 4 whole chickens for pulled chicken, and 18 racks of babyback ribs. I just went to Sam's, and got 20 lbs of chicken for about $15, and grabbed a case of babybacks, which they sold to me at the case price of $2.88/lb. I paid $169 for the 18 racks. The chickens are about to take a mad hunky brine bath overnight, and the ribs will all be rubbed with MH, and cooked fully on Saturday. Sunday I'll throw the pans of the pulled chicken and liquid gold in the oven, and will heat the ribs up and sauce them on my inlaw's gas grill. I'm lucky enough to have a buddy coming over tomorrow to assist in getting all the smoking done. We'll be using the MES, and my Traeger Texas Grill. We're also lucky enough to have all of our in laws providing sides (potato salad, pasta salad, mac and cheese, coleslaw, corn casserole, napa salad) and dessert. Here's a shot of all the meat we're doing tomorrow stacked on the counter. More to come!

Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Wow... I REALLY gotta say..THANK YOU for trusting your meat to the Mad Hunky! In SPADES!

No doubt all will go well. What time can I slip in for a rib anna wing??
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That's gonna be a feast
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
        Wow... I REALLY gotta say..THANK YOU for trusting your meat to the Mad Hunky! In SPADES!

No doubt all will go well. What time can I slip in for a rib anna wing??
        I do think my buddy and I will at least be eating a rack tomorrow... I'll make the 17 racks and 10 lbs of pulled chicken get thru 40 people.

Glad I ordered 1.5 lb of rub! It's looking like I'm going to be placing a new order soon! Can't get enough of your products! They've all been spectacular and have saved me money from having to make my own rub. Love it!
        Don

Humphrey's Pint
        Anova One Sous Vide
        AMPS
        Purple Thermapen
        Maverick ET-733
        DigIQ DX2
        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Well Jesus, what a day... Gone through 2 cases of blue light (of course a few buddies stopped over to see how the big smoke was going). I'm exhausted... Here's what I have so far. A pic of the entire grouping together should be taken tomorrow!

Today's Setup, my buddy who came to assist pictured:

First, birds out of the MH brine, rubbed:

Birds on the Traeger:

Birds, in foil pans, about ready to come off:

Birds, before pulling:

A HUGE pan of pulled chicken, should make about 30 sandwiches:

Ribs, being rubbed in MH:

Ribs on the MES (6 racks and kept the temp at 225, although it was "heating" the entire time:

Ribs, on the Traeger, we flipped them often:

2 of the 5 pans of 1/2 racks of ribs, no sauce, just rubbed with MH and cooked:

Figured, what the hell, I'll do a pan of homemade beans too:

Beans, off the MES:

With the last 2 racks (we had to eat some) my buddy and I had a cookoff. I had run out of MH, so I used Cowtown Sweet Spot on my rack, foiled with coca cola. He used his homemade rub and sauced his after coming out of foil. My wife (the judge) was torn. She liked my rub taste and how moist mine were since I put coke in the foil. She loved his sauce cooked on. In the end, a tie:

Ok, enough pics until I can put the whole pile together tomorrow. 1/2 are in the garage fridge, 1/2 in the house.. I'm beat!!!!

Thanks for looking!!!!!
          Last edited by tadowdaddy; 11-12-2011, 10:08 PM.
          Don

Humphrey's Pint
          Anova One Sous Vide
          AMPS
          Purple Thermapen
          Maverick ET-733
          DigIQ DX2
          Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Wow, everything looks great!

for a big, good lookin's smoke.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

P freakin HEW! I am impressed, grasshopper! That's a cook!

!

Too bad ya run outta Hunky tho...mighta won that one
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Man that looks good, I wonder how long it would take to drive there.
                Chargriller Pro w. sfb
                Ducane 4100 propane grill
                Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

P freakin HEW! I am impressed, grasshopper! That's a cook!

!

Too bad ya run outta Hunky tho...mighta won that one
                  Thanks guys! Rich, I didn't run out of hunky until the last 3 racks.. 15 of 18 ain't bad! I actually sent a rack home with my buddy, and we ate a rack and some pulled chicken nachos thru the day. There's only one of the 16 racks I'm taking over that have a commercial rub on them as opposed to MH! I'll be promoting your products all day tomorrow as I serve these!
                  Don

Humphrey's Pint
                  Anova One Sous Vide
                  AMPS
                  Purple Thermapen
                  Maverick ET-733
                  DigIQ DX2
                  Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                    Thanks guys! Rich, I didn't run out of hunky until the last 3 racks.. 15 of 18 ain't bad! I actually sent a rack home with my buddy, and we ate a rack and some pulled chicken nachos thru the day. There's only one of the 16 racks I'm taking over that have a commercial rub on them as opposed to MH! I'll be promoting your products all day tomorrow as I serve these!
                    OK that's it. Free pound next order

Comment

OK that's it. Free pound next order
                      You don't have to do that, but I'll tell ya, I'll surely appreciate it! My buddy, also from KC living in Michigan, is sold on the MH rub and brine after tasting the chicken and ribs we did! I'm sure he'll be ordering soon! My biggest fear is that my family/friends won't appreciate everything tomorrow. None of them are smokers, nor do they typically eat good BBQ. I know they'll never understand what went into this, but I hope they realize it's probably the best bbq they've ever had when they're eating it! A LOT of that is attributed to the MH products!
                      Don

Humphrey's Pint
                      Anova One Sous Vide
                      AMPS
                      Purple Thermapen
                      Maverick ET-733
                      DigIQ DX2
                      Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Nice job for the big crowd & for 2 cases of beer for a baptism that has not happened yet
                        sigpic

Comment

Just the workload alone gets from me. Good looking grub the people you feed should be very happy!

Comment

Great looking cook man, Mad Hunky rules!
                            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Great job. Sounds like a lot of work but it will be worth it when everyone raves about the pork and chicken.
                              Propane Smoke Shack
                              UDS
                              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X