Firearms question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firearms question

Got a firearm question for anybody here that might have some insight. In our family we have a lot of firearms and we all do a pretty good job with them. But over the weekend my son boght a Ruger 10-22 at Cabella's in Kansas city, KS. This was our first exposure to the Ruger line of rimfire .22's. All of the others are Marlin tube feds. Anyhow, he brought it to my house to do some .22 competition with me, you know Marlin vs Ruger. Anyhow we took it out of the box and went to clean it prior to the first fire. This is the problem. We could not get the charging handle to move. We tried the little release button on the trigger guard by the magazine release but that didn't help. We thought maybe the screws on top of the receiver might be tightened down and might be in the way of the bolt and removed them but that didn't help. So we are stumped. Any ideas before this rifle goes back to Cabella's?
    sigpic

Not familiar with that model, but perhaps the mag must be in place to free the bolt? Saftey on/off?
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

The bolt release can be tricky if ya ain't never operated a 10-22.
      Ya got to pull the bolt back to releive pressure and push up on the bottem of the little lever/button, it should have a "tit" and resesed on both sides, push up on the bottom resesed area.

Let me go play with mine and see if i can make a decent pick if ya still can't get it.
      My food WAS a vegaterian!!
      Death Row Outfitters

Comment

Sounds like you have checked everything out screws ect. is the wood rubbing the race area for the bolt and rod?
        I have several 10/22s. race guns they are. and tack drivers. highly modified.

you might take the mag out if you have not already done it. there might be pressure from it, pushing from the top of the mag on to the bottom of the bolt.

might just need a good cleaning get all the shop dust and crud off of her. and a good lube back on board.

good luck..
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Push up and in towards tthe trigger gaurd, it kinds rocks in. While holding the bolt back a little

My food WAS a vegaterian!!
          Death Row Outfitters

Comment

The release on the fore front of the trigger gaurd is for locking and unlocking the action from the open position. designed that way for cleaning. This should work smoothly.
            The action itself should slide easily, loaded or unloaded, saftey on or off, even when in the loaded fire position.
            Since it is brand new i would return it to where it was purchased for hopefully an exchange unless the salesperson can show you it is operator error and not a problem with the gun.
            10/22's are great little .22's, mine has allready gotten a blackbird at approx. 70 yards this morning. Mine sits right beside our back garage door, ready.
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

The rifle is definitely headed back to Cabella's. My son called them and they told him to bring it back. If their on-site gunsmith can't get it fixed they'll get it back to Ruger or give him credit on another firearm. Now he is thinking another Mini-14 might be in order. If so, that will be three of them for him. His other 2, one is just your regular run of the mill Mini-14 with wood stock and nothing special. The other one he got at auction and has a match barrel. If he gets another one he said he is going to max it out on acessories. Must be rough to be young like that and love toys. Well he paid his dues, 3 times Iraq, 1 time Afghanistan and 25+ years now of me.
              sigpic

Comment

Gotta love those Mini-14s. I had a shot at a beauty a long time back but as a young married LEO I couldn't scrape the extra cash together. It was stainless with a stainless folding stock, all finished in a chemical matte black finish. Just a little something extra to keep next to the Mossberg in the patrol car.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwerks View Post
                  Gotta love those Mini-14s. I had a shot at a beauty a long time back but as a young married LEO I couldn't scrape the extra cash together. It was stainless with a stainless folding stock, all finished in a chemical matte black finish. Just a little something extra to keep next to the Mossberg in the patrol car.

You know when I retired that was the debate then. Our shotgun just wasn't getting it anymore, we wanted a rifle and preferably a .308 Back then depts could get really good M-14's for very little money from the feds. But, budget crunch killed that idea. So the only ones with relly good toys remained with the tac officers and Deputies. But that was before 9-11 and everything that has happened since. Now the SO I was on and the city cops have rifles in the car along side their shotguns. The plan when they adopted was the SO and city PD didn't have the money for the rifles, but if individual Deputies and
                  City Officers wanted they could buy there own and if they qualified at the range they could put them in their patrol car. A few took them up on the offer and the next year money was found for every car to get an AR-15.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X