Questions on Smoking Salmon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on Smoking Salmon

My neighbor had some salmon given to her which she does not want. She has it in her freezer and said I could have it all to smoke if I wanted it. Near as I can tell, there are 10 or 15 packages like this.

I did some poking around the forum and found this thread. I think I'm heading in the right direction with this post from Ross . . .

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
    I personally use a dry style rub which is a mix of salt and brown sugar. The fish sits in the brine for around 12 hours then its rinsed off and dried then I like to add a little bit of brown sugar, garlic powder and pepper flakes as it is drying. Then I throw it on the smoker at around 150 degrees until the internal temp reaches 145 degrees which is usually around 3-5 hours depending on how big and how thick your fillets are.

If your interested my rub/cure is 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup kosher salt.
    And some additional info from Erain . . .

Originally posted by erain View Post
    i generally smoke at temps of 150 or so for a few hours and then bump up to about 180 to finish them.

find a spot of med thickness and when they are just starting to flake at that point remove from heat. the thicker portions will continue to cook with residual heat and will turn out just right. also watch the skins of the fish, when you see droplets of liquid hanging from them you are at the point where the flesh is releasing the liquids. time to stop or you will end up with a dry end result...

tip... for salmon and trout, after the pellicle is formed, and yes i think it is important, sprinkle a little brown sugar on some before putting to the smoke...
    But I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a few things.

How long and where do you dry it prior to smoking?

What is this ''pellicle" that Erain speaks of?

How should salmon smoked this way be stored/eaten?

Is it kind of like Canadian bacon where it is cooked but must be refrigerated, is okay to be eaten cold, but should be frozen if not going to be used in a few days?

Thanks.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

You will need to brine OR cure the salmon..for a hot smoke brining is OK- for a cold/cool- curing obviously. Both processes draw much moisture out of the meat, a cure- a bit more, due to the 24 full hours in it. I have 4 hunks under vac pac and with brown sugar, onion powder CBP and Tenderquick sprinkled on. Huey does his in a rock salt deal... and I think he hot smokes his.

Either way the moisture contant as it comes out will be too high for unrefridgerated meat, but it will be firm and flaky for serving on crackers with capers and a paper thin onion slice... or, for our Kosher folk..on a bagel :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

here is some great info and recipes on smoking salmon

http://www.justsmokedsalmon.com/alderrecipes.htm

http://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43

http://www.gamefishin.com/community/...c.php?f=7&t=23

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Oh... and the pellicle...is the dried "skin" on the hunks you get by leaving them uncovered... if uncured- in the fridge...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Huey!

Comment

Nothin better than Alder on Salmon!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Okay, here's one I found that looks pretty straightforward and simple for the first time around.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....67&postcount=5

Dry Brine Mix

1 cup rock salt
              1 cup brown sugar
              1 tbsp garlic powder
              1 tlsp onion powder
              1 tbsp black pepper

Layer salmon, mix, salmon, etc. let brine for 24hours. Remove from brine and rinse of brine. Let stand on racks or in refigerator for 24hours so a glaze forms.

Then I'll smoke using Erain's temps and tips. Sound good?

I thought brines had water in them. Didn't know there was such a thing as a dry brine. But that's why I'm here. To learn.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

There is nothing better then smoked salmon. I smoke mine at the same temp that Aron does and it comes out perfect every time. There are so many different types of dry and wet brines out there and you just need to try a few until you find what you like. I need to try some other ones but we like the way I do it so well that I haven't had any reason to change. Best of luck to you and congrats on your salmon score.
                P.S. I smoke mine and then vacuum seal and freeze them. Its nice to be able to grab a package out of the freezer and have a good snack whenever you want.
                Propane Smoke Shack
                UDS
                Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                  Nothin better than Alder on Salmon!
                  I guess I'll have to round up some alder.

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                  P.S. I smoke mine and then vacuum seal and freeze them. Its nice to be able to grab a package out of the freezer and have a good snack whenever you want.

Dave
                  UDS 1.0
                  Afterburner
                  Weber Performer
                  Blue Thermapen
                  Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                  Auber Smoker Controller
                  -

Comment

I would suggest not going too strong/long on the smoke also Dave... With Alder you should be OK & other light ones like Apple. ....... Some in the medium+- range too long can be over powering & bitter from my experience. Dry Brines
                    sigpic

Comment

and then there is the Steve Raichlen rum smoked salmon... this stuff is awesome and always turns out moist... not really smoked but with what you got you could dedicate a cupla pieces for this method too. always do this a couple times a year...

I use a weber kettle to make this so depending what you use you will have to make cooking adj per your unit. If using a kettle you can pretty much use this and follow to a tee and have perfect results time after time. Here goes:

Rum Soaked Salmon

Salmon fillet, 2-4 lbs (or bigger, increase ingred and cooking as needed) I leave skin on
                      1 C dark rum (I am not a rum fan but I use Appleton estates)
                      1 C packed brown sugar, dark
                      ½ C salt, kosher or sea (a coarse grain. Not table salt)
                      2 T freshly ground black pepper
                      1 T ground coriander

Clean fillet and blot dry, in glass baking dish lay fillet. Add rum and cover with plastic wrap and frig it. You want this to marinate in the rum for half hour or so, turning several times, have skin side down aprox 2/3 the time so it will have a chance to pull some rum thru skin.

While fish is marinating, you can make rub. Take rest of ingred and in a bowl mix with fingers, breaking any lumps in brown sugar and mix well.

When done marinating fish drain fish and blot dry with paper towels, wipe out baking dish. Put 1/3 of the rub mix in pan and spread into shape of fillet, lay fillet skin side down on top of this and then cover fillet with remaining mix, kind of make a cast around it. Cover with wrap and frig it for 4-6 hours, I usually let mine go the full 6 as I like the salt/sugar the fish pulls in. when done you will notice some liquid in the pan, this is juices which have been pulled from the fillet.

When done curing, rinse fillet well under cold water, blot dry with paper towels again. Now to the smoker/grill, as I said this is a hot smoke and I make an indirect setup with coals on each side with a drip pan in center. On top of these coals place some small pieces of wood of choice. With salmon I use almost exclusively apple, alder wood is also excellent. Something mild so as to not overpower the natural flavor of the fish. You should end up with a med to med-hi heat. Oil grate and when you have smoke from wood happening put fillet skin side down on grate. Cover and smoke cook for about 20 min(usually comes out perfect). To ck for done press on fillet and it should feel firm and if pushed a little harder should flake. You should end up with a nice mahogany colored fillet which still is moist inside. I let I rest for 10-15 min and serve. Put on a platter with a spatula or spatulas and just slide portions off from the skin to plate. It is great served right from the smoke or even if you happen to have some left you can have it cold.

salmon fillet setting in rum

after the soak in the cure and frig

after 6 hours

wash off cure and dry, pellicle will form...

after 20 min smoke on weber

not your traditional smoked, but some great stuff...
                      Charbroil SFB
                      GOSM
                      MES
                      Dutch Ovens and other CI
                      Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                      Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                        Thanks, guys.

Okay, here's one I found ...
                        [I]Dry Brine Mix

1 cup rock salt
                        I'd steer away from the rock salt.. had some batches of salmon come out "metallic" tasting from impurities in rock salt. Use kosher salt instead.
                        Mike
                        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                          I'd steer away from the rock salt.. had some batches of salmon come out "metallic" tasting from impurities in rock salt. Use kosher salt instead.
                          Would the quantity be the same?

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

as long as the grains are of similar size, it's a direct conversion.
                            Mike
                            Life In Pit Row

Comment

you could always try some gravad lax or lox (cold smoked salmon)

And as far as nitrite curing goes. I think rich is the only one who uses it on fish.
                              It's certainly never been used in the uk on any fish I've come across.

Traditionally fish were always preserved in salt - sea salt for preference which does have trace nitrates.
                              But it's mainly the dehydration effect on fish that is the preservative.

So that's cold smoked salmon or just cold cured salmon.

For hot smoking I don't think you can beat maple glazed salmon.

Stolen from
                              Maple Glaze for Salmon

1 cup pure maple syrup
                              2 tablespoons finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
                              4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
                              3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
                              1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
                              1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
                              Fresh ground pepper to taste

In a small heavy saucepan simmer maple syrup, gingerroot, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, lemon zest and pepper to taste until reduced to about 1 cup, about 30 minutes, and let cool. (Maple glaze may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring maple glaze to room temperature before proceeding.)

In another small saucepan heat half of glaze over low heat until heated through to use as a sauce. Stir in remaining tablespoon lemon juice. Remove pan from heat and keep sauce warm, covered.

NOTE: If you simmer the glaze for the full 30 minutes it will be more of a basting sauce. To use as a mop, divide the glaze into two equal portions after simmering for 5 - 10 minutes (long enough for the flavors to meld together). Simmer the second portion for the remaining 20 minutes and then add the last teaspoon of lemon juice. Serve as a side sauce.

The original recipe listed "Salt to taste". Since this recipe also contains soy sauce I omitted the salt altogether and replace the soy sauce with a "Low Sodium" Soy sauce.

If you choose to "spray" your mop, strain the sauce through some cheese cloth or pour though a fine mesh strainer to remove the garlic, ginger root and lemon zest.
                              Now what I do is just take the ingredients and blitz them in my magic bullet. nuke that for a couple of minutes in the microwave and use it like that. I cut back on the maple syrup too.

But you've got enough salmon there to have a real play :-)
                              So try one of everything

I'll generally do a side of maple glazed and break it into 4oz vac packs for sandwiches. Can't beat it
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-21-2011, 03:58 PM.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X