Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH brined pheasant with Cumberland Sauce - from feather to fork: Part Two

Part One

So following the skinning. Which I have to say I really got a kick out of and can't wait to do the same to the next dead game bird that crosses the threshhold. Probably a pigeon.

Anyway, made up a quart of Mad Hunky brine, added a wee dash of cure #1 and into the fridge for about 36 hours.

Decided to wrap in pancetta. Took two small chunks - about 2 oz each - and sliced them wafer thin. (well about 1.5 mm anyway).
    IT's amazing how far such a small piece of 'bacon' will go if you slice it thin enough :-)
    Oh and the pancetta was smoked - so that's allright then

Roasted low and slow till the general temp was aroud 70c and the bacon was crispy. Convert it yourself, I've currently got my lightning fast grey, made in england, thermopen set to centigrade - get over it

I was aiming for a cold platter, so left the birds to cool and then dismembered them.
    Almost no waste on a pheasant.

Final arrangement was with the crispiest bits of pancetta and some devilled eggs :-)

And yes you're right - there should have been 4 legs. But I did have to taste something :-)

The pheasant was served with baked potatos, coleslaw and cumberland sauce

And here's the fork...

Simple, but hands down one of the best meals I've made in a long while. Everything just worked together.
    The pheasant was moist, the brine added a great savoury flavour. I can see why rich is shifting so much
    Two smallish pheasants will feed 3 hungry people.

Oh yeah, the leftovers.

And I can state with confidence that the plate was empty by the time I got round to washing it up

Kept dessert simple. Fresh fruit tropical salad, with a little mincemeat (I will post it up soon - honest) and some vanilla and strawberry icecream.

All in all a really great meal.

Learnt some new stuff and will now do research into brine mixes :-)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Deviled eggs and smoked pheasant. Wow... with bacon and ice cream involved. :{)

The brine is really applicable to wild, as well as farm birds. All benefit from the savory lite sweet of the flavor profile.

Dang..those are some good lookin' birds. You got handed some top notch fixins there Alex.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

smoked pancetta - oven cooked pheasant, it's got a smoked component, so would have been good for a comp entry :-)
      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Awesome Mate!!!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
          smoked pancetta - oven cooked pheasant, it's got a smoked component, so would have been good for a comp entry :-)
          Except for the oven part. Unless it's charcoal/wood fired. I'd call it a friday nite before trimming the butts/brisky meal. Or a 2 AM big meats are in snack!
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Alex...Points for the bird work...negative points for the deviled eggs...

OK just kidding...

Awww damn...busted again...damn points cops...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Looks damn good. I did some pheasant breast, and now I tell people I made pheasant jerky

Comment

ya did well lad thats a plate worthy of points
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Sorry Alex I totally missed this one.....Great minds think alike

Great looking dinner...I'll pass you a plate of for this one

Comment

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
                    Sorry Alex I totally missed this one.....Great minds think alike

Great looking dinner...I'll pass you a plate of for this one
                    Ditto... damn fine looking meal sir Alex!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                    X