Yoder YS640 Review - U20 Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoder YS640 Review - U20 Firmware

Hi all, I just got done with the install and testing of the Yoder U20 firmware for the Yoder YS640. It's cool to see a manufacturer that keeps improving its product and sending out the updates. Other companies sell you a new controller. Below is a test with the pit set to 240 burning BBQr's Delight Hickory. The temp outside was 44 degrees. The duration of the test was about 7 hours. Outside of this test I cooked Thanksgiving Day Turkey and 16 Chicken breasts and in both cases the quality of the food was excellent with great smoke penetration. In fact, I believe the U20 produces more smoke then the last several firmware revisions. It looks like Yoder has got this thing really dialed in.

Here's the chart from my test. The test was performed using a BBQ Guru II.

Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
    Yoder Wichita
    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Very Cool Rob!
    How's the upgrade work?
    Do you need a computer to do it?

Todd
    - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
    - 40" MES
    - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
    - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
    - Gander #12 Grinder
    - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
    - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

Man...that is impressive. Up to temp in 30 mins is cool too. Set and forget defined there.

Might wanna adjust your pict size tho..it's a bit big.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I want one... I've been pretty good Santa... At least better than AXL this year.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          Man...that is impressive. Up to temp in 30 mins is cool too. Set and forget defined there.
          And only 10° overshoot.

Pretty impressive.

Dave
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by TJohnson View Post
            Very Cool Rob!
            How's the upgrade work?
            Do you need a computer to do it?

Todd
            Todd, This video demostrates the entire process. The upgrade takes about 20 minutes.

Rich, I reduced the size of the pic. :-)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1dV3eW7dyc[/yt]
            Last edited by Wingman; 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM. Reason: Yoder, YS640, firmware, howto, how to rpgrade, video

Rob
            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
            Yoder Wichita

Comment

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
              Todd, This video demostrates the entire process. The upgrade takes about 20 minutes.
              Great video, Rob.

But as to the process . . . YIKES!!

I get the feeling that Yoder doesn't want the average backyard BBQ guy to do these upgrades on their own? Do they normally have to be taken to a dealer to be upgraded?

I'm a tech guy so the process seems okay, but they certainly could make it easier by doing a couple of things:

--Provide the 6 pin connector accessible on the outside of the unit with a rubber plug or cover to keep dirt/dust out.
              --Make a 6 pin connector that ONLY GOES ON ONE WAY so that folks don't accidentally turn their controller into a paperweight.

Just thinking out loud.

Dave
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                Great video, Rob.

But as to the process . . . YIKES!!

I get the feeling that Yoder doesn't want the average backyard BBQ guy to do these upgrades on their own? Do they normally have to be taken to a dealer to be upgraded?

I'm a tech guy so the process seems okay, but they certainly could make it easier by doing a couple of things:

--Provide the 6 pin connector accessible on the outside of the unit with a rubber plug or cover to keep dirt/dust out.
                --Make a 6 pin connector that ONLY GOES ON ONE WAY so that folks don't accidentally turn their controller into a paperweight

Just thinking out loud.

Dave
                Started thinking its time for another smoker (got my BDS and Kettle), and I'm playing with the idea of the YS 640. I watched the video of the installation and had a few questions, but Dave asked the exact questions I had. But I got one more.

-- If you get a new YS, does the most recent software come installed?
                sigpic

Comment

I got my YS 640 on Monday. Current firmware is U21. Heat up temps were pretty quick. It was 40 degrees out so it was cool to start out and got to 400 in about 30 minutes, got as low as 375 and then as high as 415 but that was at the start. Once running held 400 within a few degrees. Cooked a little bacon at 240 toady and a few ABTs today to season a little more. Marathon cook coming on Friday! Butts, fatties, chicken, and a mess of ABTs. Will keep you all posted.

Brian
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
                    -- If you get a new YS, does the most recent software come installed?
                    Yes, they ship with the latest firmware. They have also been sending out the updat device to flash the controller and update to the latest firmware for those who wish to run the latest and greatest.

I'm cooking 4 butt's on mine tonight in 29 degree temps. The cooker was frost covered and the thing was at 240 degrees temp in 30 minutes. It also has a quick recovery after the door is opened.

I'm really pleased with the latest firmware rev. U20 I have not received U21 yet.

Rob
                    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                    Yoder Wichita

Comment

Working...
                    X