ground venison jerky?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ground venison jerky?

phew..season over..5 deer fillin the freezer. We strapped em out and boned out the rest. The straps are for the grill not wasted on jerky lol. SO..thinking about trying the ground jerky strips. I bought a "jerky shooter" (LEM brand)
    ..whats next? DO you use just venison or do you mix other meats in? Hardly seems worth adding any in for jerky. SO prob just need a nice recipe for some med heat jerky

For a ground product you might need to add some pork shoulder. Unless you've got some of the deer fat.

You need about 10-15% fat in most ground sausage. Plus pork is a moister meat as well. So will help with binding and texture.

So for jerky maybe go 70:30 venison to pork.
    Without a little fat the jerky could end up crumbly rather than chewey.
    Yes it's ground so won't be very chewey anyway. But you still don't want it too dry.

Far as recipes go just use standard snackstick or summer sausage seasonings.
    At the end of the day it's just flat dry snacksticks :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I usually us a 50/50 mix of venison and lean pork. You don't need that much pork but I like it with that much and I am using very lean stuff so I keep doing it that way. the 70/30 will probably treat you just right as mentioned above. Do NOT put the deer tallow into your mix. Make sure you remove all of the tallow as it is not like pork fat at all. I have been using the LEM Backwoods Hot jerky seasoning and I really like it. It is pretty hot though so maybe mix in a hot with a mild or something if you are doing several packages. I think one package is good for 4lbs of meat.
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

On second though you probably don't need to add much pork at all if any when you are doing jerky. I was thinking about hot sticks when I wrote my other post. Normally if I am making jerky I am just using straight venison. But I am usually slicing up some of the roasts but grinding it and using your jerky gun will work fine as well. I have done that with straight snow goose in my jerky gun and it was good. I just did up a bunch of straight Canada goose sliced last week and it was great.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

gunny makes some ground venison jerky here:

Ah so you don't use the deer fat then.
          Any particular reason ?
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I use straight ground venison, no fat at all. I have recently been using the Hi Mountain premixes after many strong recomendations from the folks here. I've been very pleased with all of them, but I think I like the original the best with hickory a close second. They have very thorough instructions for whatever type of process you opt for. Again, I'm using ground through a Cabelas (same as LEM) shooter, drying in my smoker on low heat, 110-125. I usually do about 50 lbs at a time, and the biggest issue I have is getting rid of the moisture. Lately, I've been leaving the door ajar to allow more to vent out, but still keep temps up.
            sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by mulepackin View Post
              I use straight ground venison, no fat at all. I have recently been using the Hi Mountain premixes after many strong recomendations from the folks here. I've been very pleased with all of them, but I think I like the original the best with hickory a close second. They have very thorough instructions for whatever type of process you opt for. Again, I'm using ground through a Cabelas (same as LEM) shooter, drying in my smoker on low heat, 110-125. I usually do about 50 lbs at a time, and the biggest issue I have is getting rid of the moisture. Lately, I've been leaving the door ajar to allow more to vent out, but still keep temps up.
              I'd agree. jerky needs no fat...nor would you want any. Fat will go rancid, whereas properly cured and dried lean will last years...

Mule... wanna sample of the MH jerky cure? Be my pleasure... PM address :{)
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                I'd agree. jerky needs no fat...nor would you want any. Fat will go rancid, whereas properly cured and dried lean will last years...

Mule... wanna sample of the MH jerky cure? Be my pleasure... PM address :{)
                I'm in this camp too. Only for jerky though.

Here is how I typically do it.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunnr View Post
                  phew..season over..5 deer fillin the freezer. We strapped em out and boned out the rest. The straps are for the grill not wasted on jerky lol. SO..thinking about trying the ground jerky strips. I bought a "jerky shooter" (LEM brand)
                  ..whats next? DO you use just venison or do you mix other meats in? Hardly seems worth adding any in for jerky. SO prob just need a nice recipe for some med heat jerky
                  I don't add any fat or pork in mine. Works fine without it. Not many home made recipes for the ground. Lots of pre-made mixes that work well. High Mountain, LEM, American Harvester and even Shore Lunch has gotten into it.

Using a dehydrator or the smoker?

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  Ah so you don't use the deer fat then.
                  Any particular reason ?
                  The fat or tallow is were the gamyness (SP??) comes from. It's not like beef or pork fat. We remove as much as we can.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                    The fat or tallow is were the gamyness (SP??) comes from. It's not like beef or pork fat. We remove as much as we can.
                    It's not 'good" fat CA... even the corn/hay fed deer don't have the fat you really want to use.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                    X