Venison Jerky Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Jerky Recipes

Found these on the internet somewhere. Don't think it was here. Since it's that time of year, thought I'd share. This is for whole meat jerky. I have not tried any of them, and most have liquid smoke, but figured some of you might like to play around with them.

Also have some for beef that I'll post and should work with venison too.

Venison Jerky #1

1/4 cup cider vinegar
    4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 to 2 pounds raw lean venison strips

Partially freeze meat so it can be cut easily into 1/4
    inch strips. Dump remaining ingredients in bowl or big cake
    pan and mix well. Marinate meat in mixture covered in
    refrigerator for at least a day, turning now and then to coat
    meat evenly. Shake excess moisture from marinated strips.

If oven is clean and you want to keep it that way, line
    bottom with aluminum foil to catch drippings. Lay strips of
    meat over cake racks or directly on oven racks. Or, to
    accommodate more meat, use those spiked metal hooks used to
    hang curtains, spear a strand of meat on each hook and hang
    down from regular oven racks. (The more air that circulates
    around meat strips, the better.) Dry for 5 to 6 hours in 160-170
    degree oven.

Venison Jerky #2

Sugar Cured Venison Jerky

5 lb Venison roast
    1 oz Liquid smoke
    1 1/2 c Sugar
    2 ts Garlic
    1 ts Brown sugar
    3 ts Seasoning salt
    15 ts Salt
    1 ts Black pepper

Cut venison 1 to 2 inches wide and 1/4-inch thick, 6 to 10 inches long. Put in large mixing bowl and add sugar a little at a time. Be sure to mix well. Mix brown sugar and all other spices and mix all together. Put in refrigerator approximately 6 to 8 hours. Take out and put in oven on racks, lightly pepper. Cook at a maximum of 150F until completely dry. Approximately 8 hours.

Venison Jerky #3

5 lb Venison, boned
    1/2 c Light corn syrup
    3 ts Tender Quick
    1/2 ts Garlic salt or powder
    2 ts Black pepper
    1/2 ts Onion salt or powder
    1 ts Liquid smoke
    2 Pinches tarragon
    1/2 c Spicy brown mustard
    1 ts Worcestershire sauce

Cut venison into fairly thick slices. Mix remaining ingredients. Lay strips of venison on broiler pans. Coat with sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Flip, coat with sauce, pepper and salt again to taste. Bake approximately 6 hours at 150F. Flip and continue to bake another 4 hours. Allow to cool, then place in covered container or plastic bags. Flavor will "peak" in a day or two.

Venison Jerky #4

4 lb Venison
    1/2 ts Italian seasoning
    4 tb Onion powder
    1 c Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 ts Black pepper
    1 c Soy sauce
    1 1/2 ts Garlic powder
    1 ts Texas Pete
    2 Pinches salt

Cut venison into 1/3-inch strips or less, cutting with the grain. Combine rest of ingredients. Place meat in pan or dish and pour marinade over meat. Let stand 24 hours in refrigerator. Remove from refrigerator and place foil in bottom of oven to catch drippings. Insert toothpicks through one end of strip of meat and hang from over rack. Rack should be at highest setting. Bake at 150F for 4 hours or until dried to taste.

Venison Jerky #5

Smoked Spicy Venison Jerky

4 lb Venison roast
    1/2 ts Onion powder
    1/2 c Brown sugar
    1/2 ts Pepper
    1/4 c Salt
    1/2 ts Garlic powder
    1 c Water
    1/2 ts Tabasco sauce
    1 c Red wine

Trim fat from venison and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices. Place meat into the marinade made by combining the above ingredients in a glass or ceramic bowl. Marinate at least 8 hours in a cool place. Remove to a rack and allow to air dry until they become glazed. Do not rinse. Smoke for 12 to 16 hours depending on degree of desired dryness. Use approximately 3 pan fulls of hickory or cherry wood chips to add to flavor.

Venison Jerky #6

Smoked Oriental Venison Jerky

4 lb Venison roast
    2 oz Bourbon or brandy
    1/4 c Salt
    1/2 ts Onion powder
    1/4 c Brown sugar
    1/2 ts Garlic powder
    2 c Water
    1 ts Grated ginger
    1 c Apple cider/or cider vinegar
    1 ts Grated orange peel
    1/2 c Soy sauce
    6 White cloves (optional)

Trim fat from venison and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick slices. Place meat into the marinade made by combining the above ingredients in a glass or ceramic bowl. Marinate at least 8 hours in a cool place. Remove to a rack and allow to air dry until they become glazed. Do not rinse. Smoke for 12 to 16 hours depending on degree of desired dryness. Use approximately 3 pan fulls of hickory or cherry wood chips to add flavor.

Venison Jerky #7

Deer Jerky McDermott

1 x deer, sliced 1/8" thick
    2 T hickory smoked salt
    1 T garlic salt
    2 T monosodium glutamate
    4 T seasoned pepper
    2/3 c soy sauce
    1/3 c Worcester sauce smoked
    1 x Tabasco sauce to taste

Sprinkle meat with dry mixture, both sides. Drape on oven racks without touching while oven heats to 200 degrees. Place in oven with door open 2-3 inches. After one hour, baste with sauce, repeating every half-hour for the remaining two hours at 200 degrees. Now drop oven to 170 degrees and finish meat in 45 to 90 minutes.
    Last edited by RowdyRay; 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Again, only one shows any cure used, and that one is under-cured. Take these recipies you find out there with a grain of salt... or cure, as the case should be. Ask a pro if you don't know!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Not saying it is correct, but as you know, there are a million of them out there that just have soy sauce in the marinade, which would appear to be the only ingredient that would help in terms of preservation or storage at all.

Wonder why these are so popular & ya don't see cures in them?

I have not seen negative responses anywhere as far as folks getting sick, but I'm going to Google that right now & take a look if there's anything out there. Coffee kicked in
      sigpic

Comment

I will no longer make jerky without cure

sigpic

Comment

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

There's a can-o-worms..LOL!

Seriously... how much sodium is in a teaspoon of Cure 1 for 5 pounds? It is negligible. For me anyway. And why take a chance? Sooo, 48 times outta 50 it's fine... or 999 outta 1000- WTF?

CURE YOUR JERKY.
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I guess I been lucky so far. Some of "THEM" I read about were not so lucky, eating jerky made without cure. Some of the test results I read were pretty interesting & alarming to say the least . Damn bugs trying to get us any way they can.
              sigpic

Comment

Talkin about jerky here!
                I look at it the same as recipes that call for salt peter, I just disregard the SP and add the appropriate amount of cure. If it doesn't have cure, I just figure out the appropriate amount of cure and add it!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  There's a can-o-worms..LOL!

Seriously... how much sodium is in a teaspoon of Cure 1 for 5 pounds? It is negligible. For me anyway. And why take a chance? Sooo, 48 times outta 50 it's fine... or 999 outta 1000- WTF?

CURE YOUR JERKY.
                  Sorry for opening a can of worms Rich. Just thought the recipes sounded interesting and would give some folks an idea of where to start. Found them while going through some things and didn't notice the lack of cure.

Believe it or not, I made jerky like this years ago. But after discovering the forums, have gotten into the habit of adding the proper amount of cure. Not worth the risk. My grandkids eat the stuff I create!

I can edit it if you'd like or you can remove it too.
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

I remember the first jerky I ever made using sliced round steak, saltpeter and hung on paper clips in my ECB way back in the early 1980's. Never did eat it though, I fell asleep thinking it was gonna be an all nighter and it turned to charred strips of stone. yep yep yep, the good ol days.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                      I remember the first jerky I ever made using sliced round steak, saltpeter and hung on paper clips in my ECB way back in the early 1980's. Never did eat it though, I fell asleep thinking it was gonna be an all nighter and it turned to charred strips of stone. yep yep yep, the good ol days.
                      it's prolly still OK Lee

I tell ya the story of the hunk under my van seat?

Comment

Sounds familiar, you ate it didn't you ?

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                        it's prolly still OK Lee

I tell ya the story of the hunk under my van seat?

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
                          Sounds familiar, you ate it didn't you ?
                          A-yup :{)

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            Sorry for opening a can of worms Rich. Just thought the recipes sounded interesting and would give some folks an idea of where to start. Found them while going through some things and didn't notice the lack of cure.

Believe it or not, I made jerky like this years ago. But after discovering the forums, have gotten into the habit of adding the proper amount of cure. Not worth the risk. My grandkids eat the stuff I create!

I can edit it if you'd like or you can remove it too.

Rx2..... I won't answer for Rich (Oh Hell, maybe I will .... j/k)..... I appreciate you taking the time to post these for us to view...... I would have followed any one of them until I did some reading today..... I would still like to follow them, just including the proper amount of cure ..... See if this sounds familiar (AND THIS WOULD BE QUOTING MYSELF!!!) "I have made it without cure for years & never had a problem"..... I started doing some research on illness from beef jerky & found, for me anyway, the facts outweigh the odds..... During my 15+- minute Google search, I found just this month (11/2011) there was a commercial company in Texas that made jerky & a bunch of folks got E. Coli from it..... A COMMERCIAL PRODUCT!!.... So, if any of you folks are going to make jerky without cure, you might wanna do some research first....... I never did til now & got lucky I did not get sick myself, or even worse, get others sick.
                            Last edited by Fishawn; 11-30-2011, 07:33 AM. Reason: changed wording, sounded like I was directing it AT Ray, which not me intent. Thanks Ray
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X