Dried Venison question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried Venison question

I am going to use my dried beef recipe to make dried venison. I will be using individual muscles from the hind quarter and was wondering if it is possible to "bind" together individual muscles in a ham sack to make a larger piece. Is there a meat binder that will work for this?

Yea Rich had some meat binder that should work, don't know if he still has any. I think I got the last of it....and not givin it up!
    But it does exist, Rich can direct you.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Marks right. Rich has/had some of that "Meat Glue" LOL. Got a bit from him myself but have yet to use it......Shoot him a pm and see if he has any left.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Seems like I remember Gunslinger using it also, maybe to make bacon?
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I do have some left... altho it is "out of date". But I have kept it sealed and in the freezer. It should be fine still. Let me know if you want to try it.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Jimr,
            Hope you don't mind me asking, but;
            I'm just curious as to why you want to join the pieces to make a larger piece.

I'm not sure what your final product will be like.

All of my Dried Beef and Dried Venison ends up either chipped or sliced paper thin for Sammies and/or SOS.

Thanks,
            Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I use a high bloom gelatin as a "glue" for lack of better terminology. Rich's meat glue work fantastic. Remember, what they call binders are actually for moisture retention. That's why we use things like OATS (Alex's favorite), bread crumbs, crackers, soy protein, powdered milk, etc, etc.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                Remember, what they call binders are actually for moisture retention. That's why we use things like OATS (Alex's favorite), bread crumbs, crackers, soy protein, powdered milk, etc, etc.
                Yeah...that's kinda a misnomer eh...but it is what it is.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Hmm
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Are you looking to get really big sliced pieces? Personally the size you would get out of some of the hind quarters roasts would be exactly what I would want. But that's just me and that is the size I prefer. I can't wait to see this meat binder if you go that route.
                    Propane Smoke Shack
                    UDS
                    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                    sigpic

Comment

What I've got is some small muscles from the hind quarters of a small deer. My son shot a herd control critter and I broke the hinds down to clean them up. Now I want to put "Humpty Dumpty" back together again.

Comment

Why not just cut into chunks and smoke them on wire racks like these? And make a product similar to this.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X