Cold Smoked, Honey Beef Candy Dehydrator Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Smoked, Honey Beef Candy Dehydrator Jerky

So in the continuing search to find a jerky that practically makes itself, I decided to make this batch this way round.

8 hours in the dehydrator at about 140 and then 5 hours cold oak smoke in the smoker.
    The dehydrator is on a timer switch, so that's set and forget.
    Loaded up two sections of the smoke-vark and once lit, that is also set and forget. 2 sections runs for around 7 hours.

No pics of the process up to taking it out of the dehydrator.
    Basically I slice it about 1/4 inch in big slabs, sprinkle the cure mix in a container, layer of meat, layer of cure mix, drizzle on honey or maple syrup (honey this time) and repeat.
    Leave overnight and give a good shake every now and then and leave for another day.

So out of the dehydrator and into the smoker

5 Hours later

Close up

I then chop it into bite sized bits for snackpacks.

IN this house where there's meat - there's phoenix

Snackpacks can be vacced 3 at a time

Nice big box of snackpacks :-)

Dropped some round to the usual suspects at the garage for market research.

General consensus good mild smokey flavour.
    Attached Files
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Jerky bits?? Over here we'd expect strips. But... OK. Interesting look for sure. Bet it's a good flavor..but spices AND meat stuck in teeth? GRIND THEM! Crazy Brits anyway
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Nicely done mate.....

Did your mate Dave get some to try?
      sigpic

Comment

So do you like the dehydrate first then smoke after process? I was curious how much smoke the jerky would take in after it has been dehydrated.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

I like the pieces if it's tough jerky. I don't feel like I'm going to jerk teeth out trying to rip it apart. And the spices? Oh yeah, I like crunchy bits.

Tom

Comment

Last edited by ALX; 12-04-2011, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Looks really good. Dogs and smoked meat......hehe

Comment

Imteresting. Would think you'd smoke first, then dehydrate. Whatever works.

Dad does that with any jerky I make. Cuts it into chunks. Says it's easier to chew up. May try it sometime.

Have a post around here somewhere......Cut the meat into chunks before dehydrating. (They sell it like that now) Everyone liked the texture, just not the marinade I used.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Now Ill bet that was good.Thats how I'll try my next batch
                  2-22.5'' weber
                  1-18'' weber
                  1 smokey joe
                  22.5'' wsm
                  24'' smoke vault
                  1-outhouse
                  Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                  Smoked meathead #135

Comment

That looks fantastic CA. Bite size pieces would be perfect for out canoe trips.
                    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Thanks for points :-)
                      (woohoo I got a silver star ! Just in time to put on top of the christmas tree )

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Jerky bits?? Over here we'd expect strips. But... OK. Interesting look for sure. Bet it's a good flavor..but spices AND meat stuck in teeth? GRIND THEM! Crazy Brits anyway
                      Believe it or not the spices are very well ground - the bits you can see are lemon grass (and the close up is VERY close up). Doesn't grind so well. But not really big enough to get stuck in teeth. Pretty sure I posted the beef candy spice mix up somewhere.
                      The whole layering with hiney or maple syrup process ensures that the spices stay with the meat. So you keep all the flavours, unlike most jerky where the spices end up left in the bag.

And I use cheap beef (well not by your standards) topside or top rump (never noticed any difference). It's very lean, but does not make tender dry cure jerky. It's tough, you have to kind of suck it for a few minutes before it's soft enough to chew. So small bits are much better. You'd lose teeth and dislocate your jaw trying to tear bits off a strip. And you get a lot more of the flavours this way.
                      I call it meat chewing gum :-)
                      Ground jerky I make in strips.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Nicely done mate.....

Did your mate Dave get some to try?
                      Damn, he was round today as well - he will :-)

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                      So do you like the dehydrate first then smoke after process? I was curious how much smoke the jerky would take in after it has been dehydrated.
                      I only dehydrate to 50-60% wet weight. So it's not crispy, still enough moisture to absorb the smoke.
                      Definitely a winner. Good smokey flavour and none of the hassle of having to tend the charcoal.

I'll try the same process on my next batch of snackstix.
                      Again the less I have to bugger about the better. I do most of my snackstix in the dehydrator anyway. This way they can be smoked as well :-)

Definitely the way round to do it ray. If you smoke and then dehydrate a lot of the smoke flavour is going to be lost in the dehydration process.
                      I tried that with a smoked biltong experiment a while back. Tried smoking at all different stages and the one that came out best was the one that was smoked nearest eating. (I either smoked after it was dried, or after it was vinegared and spiced, but still wet).
                      I smoked the meat, meat after vinegar and meat after vinegar and spices. And no it probably didn't adhere to the safety rules, but what the hell neither does biltong - and five million afrikaners can't be all wrong :-)
                      Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-03-2011, 04:46 PM.
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Kiss me rind.....

Comment

does anyone know what he's on about ?
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

If you ever figure it out, fill me in too.........

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                            does anyone know what he's on about ?

Comment

Nice looking run of jerky. I've seen jerky shredded and put in cans to appear like chewing tobacco. No hard and fast rules in this game. Good job!
                              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
                              X