Relleno poppers in the Man Skillet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relleno poppers in the Man Skillet

Tried a new process for rellenos that turned out pretty good - figured I would share with you fine people!

Started out with cleaned and split chilies, loaded them with onion and sharp cheddar.

New process: Pepper - once stuffed, lay on on plastic wrap and freeze. These went over night.
    Coating - I approached these like the onion ring recipe I've been using. Dipped them in an egg and milk wash, then into a dry breading which was Bisquick, flour, some blended corn chips (hate those damn crumbs that I always get stuck with at the bottom of the bag!), and some seasonings.

On the coating - if you keep one hand for wet, one hand for dry, it goes pretty good! Had to borrow the oldest daughter to capture the pictures after I splugged the camera on the first try!

Once they were all breaded, I broke out the man skillet. If you've ever batter fried rellenos before, I'm guessing you've experienced the cheese melt volcano, grease splatter, hell-fire pain in the ass that can be! This process basically eliminated all of that. I placed them in hot oil, kinda seared the top side, flipped them very quickly to do the same for the other side while they were still semi-frozen. I let the second side go to a good golden brown, then back to the first side for the same. This created a little cheese and onion tomb that held all of the gue - they ended up much like Jap poppers.

Like the onion rings, these sat in the fridge for a good hour before I was ready with the man skillet, so they could be prepared a bit ahead of time though I think still being partially frozen helps get them in the pan.

Ended frying only half of them today. I placed the breaded rellenos back in the freezer for a quick snack another day.

Next was brunch! Relleno poppers, smothered in the Mrs's secret green sauce and paired up with some huevos

Thanks for checking out my post - hope someone gives this a try.
    Tracey

Nice Job Tracey! Looks fantastic!
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Damn! I would have tried them, but didn't get the call. Looks like a good use of some home grown peppers, Tracey.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Fix another dozen there W That is gotta be tasty!
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I like it. I've always dipped them in the fluffy stiff peak egg white stuff. Never even thought about any other kind of batter. Will have to give this a try.

Tom

Comment

Damn, wish I had left but I know I don't. Well deserved, excellent post!!!
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

nice job man........

Comment

Man I love it any time you bust out that man skillet One of these days I'll get one put together...before spring for sure.

Love me some green chile on green chile, packed with cheese....gonna have to try the cream of chicken with the green chile as the topper.
                BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Got me scale clickin behind loaded!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

cant even say anything else
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Those look very tasty. Like your secret sauce too. Thanks for the ideas.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

Oh man! Those look amzing. Nicely done!
                        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                        Yoder Wichita
                        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I don't know enough about the food/process to comment... sadly. But I DO like the term "Man Skillet"

Carry on, soldier!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Wow. Killer snack.
                            SCOTT

Comment

green chilis are always great. good job and man skillet.sweet...
                              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                              X