Electric build question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric build question?

I am working on an insulated cabinet type smoker and with the scrapes I want to build a small electric insulated cabinet style smoker. Something smaller ( I think my other build is going to be a bit big for what I need now) for when I just want to smoke a slab or two of ribs or some chicken thighs for the wife and I.

Would I still want to do the reverse flow type for electric too? I know I will go with more insulation and probably use too heavy of gauge steel (.100) since I am going to try to use up my cut-offs. I have to buy one more sheet for my build this weekend and was thinking of getting it big enough to build an electric too.

Does it make sense to do the reverse flow type smoker?

Intake and exhaust vents, are they needed? Don't need air for combustion but it would seem like I would want some air movement just to keep the smoke moving.

Water pan? I was planing on not having one.

Thanks
    Todd

I have built several watt burners, fresh air on all of them with
    no or little exhaust. I usually have some small leaks on doors
    & that's plenty.Water pan a must for me as most are vertical
    & doubles as catch pan. Do not need extra moisture on all cooks.
    I have 1 horizontal watt burner and I used baffles to even out
    temp so no revere flow. just my 2 Penny's
    If you do decide to go with rev.Flo keep us posted on the build
    with lots of picks please.
    Terry here
    Still have Christene

Comment

I have a 1500 watt element in mine. I use the same box as a gasser and Lump so I have intake and exhaust.

I have experimented with a small fan just to keep smoke moving.

Comment

I have owned Big and Little Chiefs, MES and currently a CookShack. MES came with a water pan (that I never used) and the Chiefs and CookShack did not. All models have exhaust of dome sort. For your small build, take a look at the CookShack Smokette. Good size for 2 folks and can do a fair amount if needed.
        sigpic

Comment

All of my electric builds have been refer/freezer conversions. As such they were all a vertical style, so I couldn't speak to the reverse flow question. I would think you wouldn't get the same degree of air flow with elec. heat that you would with actual fire; logs, briquets, chips. You still need airflow of some sort, as you believe, to allow smoke to move, and you don't want smoke to get stale or develop creosote. Although you don't have the same degree of combustion you would get with a wood burner, if you are smoldering chips or sawdust you still have some degree of combustion going on and require some airflow. You also will need some degree of venting to allow moisture to escape, esp. if you ever do sausage, jerky, etc. in it. I have always allowed the possibility of a water pan in mine, or I can simply use it as a drip pan.
          sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
          X