Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of smoker do you prefer for fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of smoker do you prefer for fish?

Hi guys,
    I see alot of guys have 3 or more smokers in thier back yards so im going to ask which heat source do you prefer to use to smoke fish? Wood, charcoal, propane, electric?

I have used electric just a hot plate with a pan full of Alder

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Weber Kettle. Ten briquettes on each side gives me about 180* - 200* for as long as it takes ( I go by the looks, not the temp). I add a small piece of apple and cherry.
      sigpic

Comment

I have always used electrics for fish, but I really like the sounds of CD's Weber method
        sigpic

Comment

For me it's any smoker that will run efficiently @ 165-175 degrees. I like an effiecient smoke that is not over powering and lower temps to very slowly dry the fish and do it right leaving some moisture behind.

Nothing worsee then choking on dry smoked slamon. Just my humble opinion.
          Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
          Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
          SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
          Yoder Wichita
          Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
          Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
          Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

little chief/big chief....
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
            Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I use my big offset with the IQue and choke it for fuel (small amount). With the IQue on it's lowest setting it will hold at about 165°. I tend to smoke a lot of fish at once and freeze. The Burning Barrel has 2'X 5' of grill space and it is really even in temp. If I was smoking a small amount I would use the Weber kettle. I have a bunch of mackerel to defrost and smoke, prolly tomorrow. I'll take pics. Gonna try mackerel gravlocks also, I'll start that today.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

It's the only reason I still have the lil chief around. Works great for fish. Last time I used a 1100 or1200 watt hot plate in the GOSM. In the winter on high it will create smoke and get around 165. Worked pretty good. Gonna try the Amazin' smoker and see how that does.

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                I use my big offset with the IQue and choke it for fuel (small amount). With the IQue on it's lowest setting it will hold at about 165°. I tend to smoke a lot of fish at once and freeze. The Burning Barrel has 2'X 5' of grill space and it is really even in temp. If I was smoking a small amount I would use the Weber kettle. I have a bunch of mackerel to defrost and smoke, prolly tomorrow. I'll take pics. Gonna try mackerel gravlocks also, I'll start that today.
                Not to highjack the thread.....Have you tried the gravlocks yet? Made some with salmon during my absence. It was really good but the smoke flavor didn't come through. Too warm out and afraid of cooking the fish. Think the Amazin' smoker will help next time. Hope you post it. Interested to see your recipe and method.
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                  It's the only reason I still have the lil chief around. Works great for fish. Last time I used a 1100 or1200 watt hot plate in the GOSM. In the winter on high it will create smoke and get around 165. Worked pretty good. Gonna try the Amazin' smoker and see how that does.

Not to highjack the thread.....Have you tried the gravlocks yet? Made some with salmon during my absence. It was really good but the smoke flavor didn't come through. Too warm out and afraid of cooking the fish. Think the Amazin' smoker will help next time. Hope you post it. Interested to see your recipe and method.
                  Not to hijack But yes I have with salmon using the AMPS, came out most excellent. I thought I posted it, lemme look. Nope I didn't. Still have some in the freezer. I used CA's recipe,
                  http://smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15826
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I use my offset its easy to control.My gasser like to run wild and I have to dik around with the door opening and well its the offset for me
                    sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                    members mark upright propane smoker
                    kingsford bbq
                    23"weber kettle

Comment

good gravlax information for anyone interested:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....topic1105.html

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....vian-specialty
                      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Big Chief...Use mainly Alder.
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                        X