Making some jerky today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making some jerky today

So I trimmed up a 5# top round roast that I had sliced for me. The butcher was busy and so I think he was less than precise with his slices I asked for 1/4" thick and got some that way but much of it was thicker. I ended up with a bit over 4lbs. Here it is in the marinade.

2 days in the fridge. I have been doing 3 and I usually dry it on a rack in the fridge for a day but this one went in wet and only for two days because of timing issues. Here it is draining.

I dusted some of it with some pretty good heat and some of it with a sweet rub just to try it out and see what happens.

I use Stubbs and pack it tight. I used to try lighting a few briquettes in the chimney but it was very impractical and ended up getting the temp too high so now I use a torch to light just a few in the middle of the pile. It seems to work well. Brings the temp up slowly.

More pics as we go along and I'll post the recipe I am using. I am still modifying it a bit here and there to find something special but this version is working out pretty good thus far.
    I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Oh, sorry bout the pics. My cell phone isn't the greatest but it is the most convenient!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

looks good so far!
      Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
      Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Thanks! Here is the Sweet rub I put on the two racks so I can see what it does. Also is the Heat I added to two of the top racks. The very top rack I just added a bit more of Anthony's Az Hatch.

Recipe for 4lbs of beef.

2 Tbl - TenderQuick
        2 tsp - GBP
        4 tsp - Onion Powder
        2 tsp - Anthony's Arizona Hatch
        1 tsp - Anthony's Arizona Habenero
        4 tsp - Ginger Powder
        2 tsp - Garlic Powder
        4 tsp - Brown Sugar (packed)
        2 Tbl - Honey
        12oz - Pineapple Juice (2 small cans)
        1 1/2 C - Soy Sauce
        1/4 C - Worcestershire Sauce
        Top with Chicken Broth as needed to cover meat

I mix all dry ingredients separately. Set aside.
        Add liquid to bowl large enough to hold all meat and ingredients.
        Add honey and mix with a whisk.
        Add dry ingredients and whisk.
        Add meat.
        Add enough liquid (broth) to fully submerge meat.
        Cover and place in fridge for 2-4 days.

I have been doing things differently recently but the batches aren't done so I can't assess whether or no the changes are for the better.
        This time around I skipped the broth and used all Pineapple Juice. Also, in an attempt to get a more Teriyaki and sweeter jerky I used almost an 1/8 C of Honey and 2C of Soy. I have a friend who really likes Teriyaki Jerky so I am trying to find something that works for him.
        Last edited by someAZdude; 12-14-2011, 02:02 PM. Reason: LOL, I wrote asses instead of assesS

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Bet that is gonna be great.... Love the Pineapple juice with soy
          sigpic

Comment

Lookin' good, man! One thing that ALWAYS catches my eye tho...you mention "marinade" in the first post. One SHOULD mention CURING as well... actually yours is more a brine than a marinade- marinades are heavily acid based, brines are saline/phosphate based.

I just panic thinking someone might read and not catch the cure part.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good point Rich. I almost wrote it as marinade/cure but figured anyone reading it would see the tenderquick once I wrote the recipe. Also, I was unaware and still am LOL of the finer differences in things like Marinade VS. Brine. Well, that's why I am here and posting. To learn ;)

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                Well, that's why I am here and posting. To learn ;)
                And yer doin' a damned fine job of it too...we watch yanno! One of the biggest kicks I know I get (and others I'm sure too!) is watching someone go from trying to get a fire started to beautiful smoked and cured products
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Noted that TQ also. So technically, would it be considered "a cure" as posted? Seems to me it would be labeled as a marinade or brine with cure? Ears are open....
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                    Noted that TQ also. So technically, would it be considered "a cure" as posted? Seems to me it would be labeled as a marinade or brine with cure? Ears are open....
                    I would call it a curing brine.

Comment

Thank you Sir!
                      sigpic

Comment

Cool, Curing Brine it is LOL. Here is the finished product last night.

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

At'sa nice-a jerkey!

Comment

Hope mine turns out like that this weekend
                            Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
                            Weber 22.5" WSM
                            Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
                            Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            Pit Barrel Cooker
                            Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
                            6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
                            Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
                            The Vortex

Comment

I just got a Foodsaver and did my first vac seals with it on this jerky. Pretty cool. Going to send some to friends for Christmas!.......or New Years the way I procrastinate post office visits LOL!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Comment

Working...
                              X