fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel

This is my first time bldg uds and smoking in general. I assume I can use charcoal as a heat source and I sprinkle wood chunks on top of the charcoal? If so how much? Also can I just use hardwood like applewood ad heat source and for flavor?

Charcoal and wood chunks for a UDS.

One of the benefits of a UDS is that they will go for long times without any firebox maintenance...some of that benefit comes from the strategic fire placement (Lit pieces of charcoal) in the fire basket of unlit charcoal. As the fire progresses, lit pieces will ignite neighboring pieces and the fire will spread across the fire basket, and will provide heat and smoke for a much longer period of time. This is commonly referred to as the minion method.

Do some reading on the minion method for a more clear understanding.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

And by "wood chunks" we mean CHUNKS....like fist-sized chunks, mixed in with the charcoal. Either briquettes or lump charcoal will work fine.... the lump tends to burn a little hotter, but can be controlled with air flow.

3 or 4 chunks usually provide plenty of smoke for most cooks.

L8r,
      Eric

Comment

I prefer lump wood in my UDS but many people use charcoal briquettes and they prefer that method. Either will work just fine. I put a handful of wood chips and then 2-4 nice size chunks of wood in my UDS when I run mine.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

Now I'm really lost. Here is how I thought the process went...

Fill charcoal basket up kingsford charcoal and light, then add wood chunks to the charcoal.

If that is correct how much wood do I add? If it is not corrcect what is the process?

Comment

check out this link. You can go your route, but I bet it would result in a smoker temp that is too high, and would not last for very long. The wood chunks that you put in would all go at once, and then there would be a very long period of no smoke.

The reason you want the fire to go gradualy, is it will release smoke from the wood chunks for an extended period of time since they are all not burning up at the same time.

In my insulated cabinet I frequently load up the fire basket with charcoal, and start a fire in one corner of the square basket. That fire will then spread across the pan as the cook progresses as I let air in for it to happen, and the fire will last for up to 10 hours or so.

I have even seen some people load up their fire baskets with a small coffee can in the center (with the bottom cut out too)...then they start 15-20 briquettes and put into the coffee can and then remove the cylindrical can. This leaves lit coals touching unlit coals and the minion method has started.

Bottom line is that you need to learn fire control on your rig...This will take some experimentation and some tweaks until you find what works for you. If you study up on the options that you can take, it makes this process easier...but none the less, you get to eat your experiments!

Good luck.
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
            X