Jumbo Jerky Works Ground Meat Jerky Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumbo Jerky Works Ground Meat Jerky Gun

Was doing some Christmas shopping online the other night & stumbled onto this. The Jumbo Jerky Works Jerky Gun.... $14.99 @ Amazon & eligible for free shipping. Came with 3 different tips, & cure & spice packets to cure & season 5 pounds of ground meat.

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-BJX-5-Am...4156712&sr=8-1

I chose beef, it says to use lean, but I had 80/20 on hand & figured I would try it out. The product works fine & did not fail me on a 4 pound batch, though seems kinda cheap & I do anticipate it breaking at some point, but it did its job today...... I did 2 racks straight, 1 rack with crushed red peppers, 1 rack with Bassmans Colorado buddies Jalapeno salt, & 1 rack with CBP & maple syrup....... Used up the remaining stuff & tested out the other tips on a couple of my smoker pans in the Cookshack ..... Those are getting Pecan @ 165* ..... See how they all turn out

sigpic

I have the attachment for my stuffer for this stuff...Gunny reviewed it to good results. I have yet to use it tho.

Actually..thinking on doggie treats with it, too.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Actually..thinking on doggie treats with it, too.
      ..... Should work just fine..... Love me some jerky..... Gives me a reason to crack a beer
      sigpic

Comment

Nice! About time. I started out with the original. What a pain to reload. Not sorry for buying it, it turned me on to the ground meat jerky. Good stuff. Looking forward to the finished pics and your opinions.

I make a pile of this stuff every year for deer hunting. Usually 15 or 20 pounds, and 3 or 4 kinds. The guys take handfuls in ziplocks out to the deer stands.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Gives me a reason to crack a beer
          What?..........You need a reason? You're awake, there's your reason.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Bought one of them just 4 months ago. The plunger-pusher (white part on end of shaft) Broke. Called them and the sent me a new handle and plunger end.
            Now the problem i have is it will pop of the threads both ends. Seems to alternate. Have to be real carefully to have plenty of moisture in the meat. Kinda like oat meal all most. Looking forward to the day i can buy one of them metal ones. But of course If one wants more one must pay more.
            Karl
            Last edited by ExhaustedSpark; 12-17-2011, 04:29 PM. Reason: Poor spelling
            Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
            Disabled
            Member American Legion
            Life Member NRA
            Life Member ARRL

Comment

Stupidity

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
              What?..........You need a reason? You're awake, there's your reason.
              Tell my broken hand that stupidity doesnt hurt. Dont slug the computer. It will get even.
              Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light.

www.wedlinydomowe.com/

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage...ure-calculator

ExhaustedSpark
              Disabled
              Member American Legion
              Life Member NRA
              Life Member ARRL

Comment

Originally posted by ExhaustedSpark View Post
                Bought one of them just 4 months ago. The plunger-pusher (white part on end of shaft) Broke. Called them and the sent me a new handle and plunger end.
                Now the problem i have is it will pop of the threads both ends. Seems to alternate. Have to be real carefully to have plenty of moisture in the meat. Kinda like oat meal all most. Looking forward to the day i can buy one of them metal ones. But of course If one wants more one must pay more.
                Karl
                Moisture is definitely a must, but you should also shoot the jerky just as soon as the meat is mixed, THEN cure for 24 hours. The meat mixture gets very stiff as it cures and dries up, so making jerky or filling snack stick casings first is a lot easier on your equipment.

Tom

Comment

Yeah, its funny the directions included say NOTHING about letting the ground meat cure.... Just mix well and dehydrater or oven.... I ran that by Rich outta curiosity and he stated ground meat will cure really fast, but give it a couple hours for the flavors to meld, so I did....

Just transfered most of it into the smoker.... See what happens??... Smells good.
                  sigpic

Comment

You are getting the cure incorporated into and on all of the meat, not just the surface like you would be with whole muscle jerky or large slabs of meat (like a ham or a corned beef) so curing is happening much more quickly. I usually figure the time I'm working with it, plus the time it takes to really start drying it out with the added moisture is ample to get good cure on it.
                    sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Looks like the same cheap POS I bought so many years ago...

It will do the job...for a while...

Now I need to crack a beer...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Pretty average on the flavor side really & the texture was as anticipated, so no big suprises. The Red peppers added a nice zing, the Jalapeno was a bit hot & the maple syrup & CBP got a slight burnt taste to it. Not too bad, but I could tell.... Decent stuff more or less

sigpic

Comment

I use that mix on 99% of my jerky whole meat and ground I bet I've made 500 lb over the years and my stuffer is still goingI only use the origanal and hot and spicy and I mix them together and its dang good.We'll have to ask Scar I sent him a bag for xmas love the stuff myself .I rarely ever let the ground meat sit overnight before smoking or dehydrating but since last year Rich convinced me to allways let the whole muscle sit over night.Thanks Rich.All in all good stuff
                          2-22.5'' weber
                          1-18'' weber
                          1 smokey joe
                          22.5'' wsm
                          24'' smoke vault
                          1-outhouse
                          Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

MEGA UPDATE!

After sitting 24+- hours in a zip lock bag in the fridge, these seemed to mellow out quite a bit & tasted even better.... The best, according to the beer drinking testers this afternoon & meself, were the strips finished with the red pepper flakes pushed into the top of them...... They were actually really good.... About the 8 outta 10 range+- ..... The red pepper flakes really made the difference..... Just an update.... I will make some more this week ...... And, the stuff that got smoked also got the nod over the straight dehydrator stuff.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X