Herb Sausage & Leg Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb Sausage & Leg Bacon

Sliced bacon and stuffed sausage this morning - not worth posting two seperate threads :-)

This is my basic sausage recipe. Very simple, very tasty. One of those that everyone likes and no fancy ingredients or tricky stages.

Herb And beer Sausage

5 lb trimmed pork shoulder
    3 rounded tsp fine sea (kosher) salt
    4-5 heaped tsps dried herbs (I use the big tubs from costco - just use your favourite dried herb mix)
    1 tsp cbp
    1 tsp grated nutmeg
    1 bottle beer, whatever you like.
    1/2 cup oats

Chop pork and mix in beer, add herbs, salt and pepper and mix well, add nutmeg and mix. You should find that pretty much all the beer will have been absorbed by the pork. Add oats and mix (we don't want the oats soaking up the beer so add them last).
    Grind through coarse grid, leave overnight and stuff into sheep casings.

Guarenteed crowd pleaser and just good all round standby sausage.

Bone leg bacon.

I'd love to give you the cure recipe - but I didn't write it down and it was last week - so I can't :-)
    I think the main ingredient apart from cure salt and sugar was smoked paprika. The bacon has a slightly redder colour than usual and a very definite mild smokey flavour.

Now why is it variable sliced - and well you may ask :-)
    My slicer, since I've had it has had a tendency to start cutting a slice the thickness you want i and then get thicker towards the end of the slice.
    Finally got fed up with this halfway through slicing the first chunk and stopped to totally dismantle the slicer.
    Added a couple of thin plastic washers and finally got the blade rock solid.
    Sliced a bit more, wasn't slicing well - kept making horrible groaning noises.
    Took it apart again and removed one of the extra washers.
    NOW, it works extremely well.
    The next lot of smoked ham is going to be shop perfect :-)
    But this lot of bacon, while very tasty - ain't tidy :-)

The first chunk defrosted fully while I was buggering about as well - so that did not help lol

But once it's in a sandwich - who cares ?

Anyway here's today pics.
    Try the sausage recipe, it's a winner and dead simple.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

CA.. nothing wrong with those at all, good looking snausages, I'll be doing that recipe real soon.
    Know what you talking about with the slicer mine gives me a fit every time I use it. I like shaved......... it starts out fine and just like you said its thicker towards the end, so the spacer you used, behind the blade?
    20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
    36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
    22" webber
    several burners
    pool/spa (of course)
    sigpic

Comment

yep took it apart. The big cog that holds the blade was very loose. It sits inside the wheel that the drive band attaches to and a big silver disc screws on to hold the cog to the drive wheel and the blade screws onto the cog, seems unnecessarily complicated. Behind the big silver screw plate it had a thin black plastic washer and then clear, thick rubber washer. I hacked up a soda bottle and cut a couple of washers from the side of that the same size as the thin black one. 2 was too much, one did the job :-)
      Put the new washer between the black one and the rubber one.
      The hard bit was working out that the silver centre unscrewed clockwise lol
      It could still do with a more powerful motor - but the blade is rock solid and slices much cleaner and more even. In fact it made so much difference that you don't notice the lack of power so much.

hell the slicer only cost me $63 off ebay - I don't mind doing a few 'bodge-stylee' mods to get it running better ;-)

hang on I'll do a picture
      Attached Files
      Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-24-2009, 02:12 PM.
      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

It all looks great! Nice enginering on the slicer, but not enough duct tape
        Brian
        http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
        You can follow me on twitter at
        http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
        38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
        wally world kettle grill

Comment

I like the sausage recipe, very simple.. What size sheep casing did you use??
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

CA I got the grand dad version a that slicer, has sliced lots a cheese an summer sausage fer parties! It won't do the job my commercial one will, but don't take near as long ta clean it either! There a perty good little slicer fer what they are.
            sigpic

Comment

What size sheep casing did you use??
              not a clue.
              I buy them in tubs of 2 hanks (100 yards per hank) There is no sizing info on the tub.
              There is quite a variation within each hank.
              Some stuff as thick as smallish hog casing (like the ones on the top of the bowl - probably why you asked eh ?) and some are a lot thinner (like the ones you can't see at the botton of the bowl ;-)
              Fried some up for lunch today - really great sausage.

what I did do - simply because I ran out of time to stuff on thursday night was leave the ground mixture in the fridge for 1 1/2 days - went in wednesday night and got stuffed friday morning. It felt a lot softer than usual and cooks up almost like an emulsified sausage (as you can see from the nuked lump) Looks like the beer breaks down the meat proteins if you leave the mix a little longer then over night.
              And before rich says anything ;-) The pork was mostly frozen when I cut and ground it and stayed chilled untill vacpacked and refrozen and even the amount of alcohol in a bottle of beer will kill any surface bacteria before you grind. So it's a pretty sterile mix :-)

And no - refreezing meat isn't bad for you, like everything on this site it's a temperature thing.

And yeah - just couldn't see any way of using duct tape on the slicer (I even carry duct tape in my wallet) - but hey a washer made from a soda bottle is up there :-)
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Just was wondering if you were making them like breakfast links 18-22mm or more like hot dog / hot links 26-28mm.
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

18-22mm or more like hot dog / hot links 26-28mm.
                  no idea :-) But given that the casings are just a mixture I'd say: both :-)
                  It just makes a good size sausage. Cooks quick (harder to burn) and with my recipes there's no shrinkage, so no huge incentive to make a big sausage that cooks into a medium sized one.

I got 43 sausages from about 6 lb of mix. So about 2 1/4 ounce a sausage. Which is a good size for most things.
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                  X