Building a new smoker ,got questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a new smoker ,got questions

Just curious on this one and am looking for opinions.I'm going to build a smoke house somewhere on the lines of R bransters or Kicken asphalts.I'll have a dual heat source of coal and gas ,i pretty much got that figured out.but what I'm wondering is if it would be beneficial to lower the smoke stack down to the drip pan level.like a reverse flow kinda like got14you did in his. I'm wondering if that would create any problems like moisture building up on the inside roof and maybe dripping creosote from the roof.I'm open for opinions on this .
    thanks
    Bill
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Bill, I believe Dana's (bbq engineers) build a smoker with the exhaust like you describe. I think he built it for his brother? Maybe he will chime in if he sees this or shoot a pm.

I too want to do the very same thing on my fridge conversion (if i ever get to it). Figured it would keep even heat in the area where the meat is at.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Yeah Dana would be a good one
      2-22.5'' weber
      1-18'' weber
      1 smokey joe
      22.5'' wsm
      24'' smoke vault
      1-outhouse
      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I think there are a lot of factors on this one. First of I am not real sure what type of smoker you are going after, as I am not familiar with the two you mentioned. However if there is air flowing through at a higher rate then I think you would be fine, but your placement of your water pan and how big would also come in to play. My smoker has never had the problem you are referring to tho. But there is a substantial amount of pressure built up which makes there air move through faster. Can you try to get me a link or a drawing of what you are thinking of? good luck!
        Jerod
        GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
        sigpic

Comment

Here's a couple links to thiere smokers ,Just typical shack smokers about 6'high and 3'wide.I'm thinking though that there may be an advantage to piping out the smoke from just below the lowest rack.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12462
          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11663

Like I said I'm open to any and all input

Thanks
          Bill
          2-22.5'' weber
          1-18'' weber
          1 smokey joe
          22.5'' wsm
          24'' smoke vault
          1-outhouse
          Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Bump
            2-22.5'' weber
            1-18'' weber
            1 smokey joe
            22.5'' wsm
            24'' smoke vault
            1-outhouse
            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

I'm not sure but unless you do a true reverse flow, I don't think it will work real well.

My thought is it will not have enough air flow, and it may be difficult to adjust temperature.

Comment

I think you should go for it. Put the exhaust down low and if it doesn't work out you can always cut a hole in the top and plug the side.

You can extend the exhaust stack higher to help pull air through it.

I know it is a different type deal but the Fast Eddie by Cookshack which is their competition unit. Uses a side stack down low. They don't have to extend it cause of the fan pushing air into the chamber.

My next mod on my cabinet is to drop the outlet..

Here is the FEC 100

"Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Bill, have you seen this post by Dana?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...33&postcount=1

Granted, it's a bit smaller than either of the ones you posted links to, but the cabinet style is basically the same.

BBQ E was going after a stumps clone sorta on this one. As you see, he intended to incorporate a vertical reverse flow on this one, but opted not to in the end. Says it works just fine. As long as the flow coming in is unrestricted on its way out, shouldn't be a problem. One thing maybe to think about, especially up where your at, is to maybe have a doubled walled chimney or even insulate it the chimney so you get a good draft/pull of air?

Comment

I'm not sure if it will work very well having the exhaust lower or not. I guess I have never really thought about it. The two things I would be worried about would be the smoke just comes right off the burner/chip pan and then goes right out the exhaust and not really going throughout the whole smoker. Or the opposite of that the heat/smoke goes right to the top of the smoker and can't get out. I'm sure there are ways to make it work with deflectors and whatnot if a guy just tinkers around with it.
                    Propane Smoke Shack
                    UDS
                    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
                      Bill, have you seen this post by Dana?

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...33&postcount=1

Granted, it's a bit smaller than either of the ones you posted links to, but the cabinet style is basically the same.

BBQ E was going after a stumps clone sorta on this one. As you see, he intended to incorporate a vertical reverse flow on this one, but opted not to in the end. Says it works just fine. As long as the flow coming in is unrestricted on its way out, shouldn't be a problem. One thing maybe to think about, especially up where your at, is to maybe have a doubled walled chimney or even insulate it the chimney so you get a good draft/pull of air?
                      Yes I had seen this post and between his and Got1 4 you is where I got the idea.Are you saying that by keeping the air in the exhaust pipe hotter that will create more pull?

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                      I'm not sure if it will work very well having the exhaust lower or not. I guess I have never really thought about it. The two things I would be worried about would be the smoke just comes right off the burner/chip pan and then goes right out the exhaust and not really going throughout the whole smoker. Or the opposite of that the heat/smoke goes right to the top of the smoker and can't get out. I'm sure there are ways to make it work with deflectors and whatnot if a guy just tinkers around with it.
                      I never considerd that the smoke may go right out,Hummm I belive it would rise fast enough to fill the cabinet but I dont knowI plan on putting a bathroom fan in the top of the smoker pulling its air from the bottom of the smoker,inside just to keep air circulating and keeping the air tempeven through out the cabinet.

I like the responses please keep em comming
                      2-22.5'' weber
                      1-18'' weber
                      1 smokey joe
                      22.5'' wsm
                      24'' smoke vault
                      1-outhouse
                      Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by minnbill View Post
                        Are you saying that by keeping the air in the exhaust pipe hotter that will create more pull?
                        Yes, if a chimney is well insulated, it has a positive effect of on the draw.
                        Just like a home chimney, a well insulated one stays warm, thus helping in "drawing" the smoke/heat out.

As far as smoke running straight thru, I don't see that happening. If it were a straight shot from fire to flue, maybe, but there is going to be turbulence within. It wouldn't be any different that a non-reverse flow offset where folks use a dryer duct brought down to grate level. As long as you have good draw, I think your good to go.

Comment

these smokers wouldn't probably work for a reverse flow design, in my humble opinion. The smoke is channelled up on the sides in mine and Dana's smokers, so it enters the cooking chamber at the top and must roll down (remember smoke flows like water). I would think if you had a similar set-up like the links you provided you would be better off with an exhaust on top with a damper. But I could be way off, or you could come up with some crazy baffle system also.

on edit: remember your size of chimney will also create more flow or draw. (in most cases)
                          Jerod
                          GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                            these smokers wouldn't probably work for a reverse flow design, in my humble opinion. The smoke is channelled up on the sides in mine and Dana's smokers, so it enters the cooking chamber at the top and must roll down (remember smoke flows like water). I would think if you had a similar set-up like the links you provided you would be better off with an exhaust on top with a damper. But I could be way off, or you could come up with some crazy baffle system also.

on edit: remember your size of chimney will also create more flow or draw. (in most cases)
                            This is great you got me brain spinning,this could be one cool smoker
                            2-22.5'' weber
                            1-18'' weber
                            1 smokey joe
                            22.5'' wsm
                            24'' smoke vault
                            1-outhouse
                            Smoked meathead #135

Comment

hIPPY: I know it is a different type deal but the Fast Eddie by Cookshack which is their competition unit. Uses a side stack down low. They don't have to extend it cause of the fan pushing air into the chamber.
                              If you put a fan in to the build, it changes things a bit. sort of like a convection oven. Circulating smoke and heat is the key and if you use a fan to do it you can overcome the limitations of normal convection.

Depending on what material you are making it out of, give it a whirl. You can always patch a hole and make a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X