Propane to Natural Gas Conversion Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane to Natural Gas Conversion Question

Had a friend recently ask me to recommend a smoker costing up to 200 and can it be converted to natural gas. My first thought was a small GOSM. Will the manufacturer set them up with a conversion kit? I'm a bit ignorant on this as all of my smokers are wood/coal burners. Any advise I can pass along to someone wanting to get started?

Dave

Originally posted by GratefulDave View Post
    Had a friend recently ask me to recommend a smoker costing up to 200 and can it be converted to natural gas. My first thought was a small GOSM. Will the manufacturer set them up with a conversion kit? I'm a bit ignorant on this as all of my smokers are wood/coal burners. Any advise I can pass along to someone wanting to get started?

Dave
    IF the manufactuer won't, the local propane company might be of some help. Needs a new regulator and orfice...
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

This place sells conversion kits for almost any smoker.

http://www.gassmoker.com/

I have the Afterburner H in my SnP and it works GREAT!!

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I believe if going from propane to natural gas all that needs to be done is to ream out the orifice and adjust flame. When we converted that's all the guy did to our appliances. Propane burns over 2 X hotter so requires a smaller orifice. Going the other way natural to propane would require a kit.

What he used was mini round hand drill/file. Not sure of the size but I'm sure if you google it that will return the size.

Comment

He may not need a regulator, depends on the system pressure of his local utility. When I converted my gas grill over all I did was drill the orifice holes larger and buy the quick connect gas hose from Lowes. It's SO nice not having to keep up with propane tank levels!
          ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Working...
          X