Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy recipes please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Fried Steak with Gravy recipes please

watching the cubs game tonite, and there was a commercial for CHICKEN fried steak and country gravy from Boston Market...........i got a hankering.......i have a recipe, but would like to try one of yours, wether is cubed steak, bottom round steak, etc.

come on folks.........any brothers/sisters want to come off thier FAMILY recipes for this WONDERFUL dish? with a good peppered milk gravy with pan scrappings?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

I got one, I'll have ta try an dig it outa this mess I call a desk, organizin recipes, I'll never find em again!
    sigpic

Comment

We're having chicken fried steak, eggs, hashbrowns and sausage gravy in the morning.

Tom

Comment

DUDE! I just made CFS tonight...er last night. Simple recipe. I use cubed steak for mine. 1 part Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour, 1 part whole grain corn masa flour(reg corn flour works too, I get this stuff free from the mill I haul for) Dredge in flour mix, egg, back in flour, into oil over medium heat till done, and i use the recpe for white sauce on the back of the kentucky kernel flour box to make the gravy and just mix it with a lil of the pan drippings
        Brian
        http://www.youtube.com/user/btjohnson83
        You can follow me on twitter at
        http://www.twitter.com/btjohnson83

CGSP w/ mods
        38" Smoke Hollow/early fathers day gift, yay!
        wally world kettle grill

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
          watching the cubs game tonite,

I was watchin the Cardinals game last night! How'd your game turn out?
          Lang 84 Deluxe (sold it, broke my heart)
          Weber Performer
          Weber 22.5" OTG
          Weber Q Tabletop Gasser
          Bunch of Sausage Makin' Kit
          Big Azz BBQ Concession Trailer
          BBQ Food Truck

Comment

I ain't found it yet steve, but the basics of it are: Cubed steak, unbleached flour seasoned with black pepper, a shot a old bay seasonin, an some garlic powder.

Dust the steaks with flour, through some egg wash an back inta the flour, deep fat fry at 350* fer bout 4 minutes (ya might have ta adjust the time, just till there done), then inta the oven while ya make some gravy.

Gravy: White flour an butter in a pan, yall makin a rue. Let the rue just darken a tad, then add in milk till ya get it a bit thin, add in fresh cracked pepper ta taste. Bring it ta a boil an then back ta a simmer to the thickness ya like. Serve hot with a slice a fresh sourdough bread an honey butter.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
              I ain't found it yet steve, but the basics of it are: Cubed steak, unbleached flour seasoned with black pepper, a shot a old bay seasonin, an some garlic powder.

Dust the steaks with flour, through some egg wash an back inta the flour, deep fat fry at 350* fer bout 4 minutes (ya might have ta adjust the time, just till there done), then inta the oven while ya make some gravy.

Gravy: White flour an butter in a pan, yall makin a rue. Let the rue just darken a tad, then add in milk till ya get it a bit thin, add in fresh cracked pepper ta taste. Bring it ta a boil an then back ta a simmer to the thickness ya like. Serve hot with a slice a fresh sourdough bread an honey butter.

I don't care what my family has made (the same thing basically), but I want that fresh sourdough and honey butter...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post

you had me till the deep fat fried part.........no TRUE texan CFS is EVER deep fat fried..........how you going to get them nice crunchies, you get from pan frying in CAST IRON SKILLET for the white gravy............and this from a man, who brags about all his cast iron........SHAME SHAME TIP........llolololol

i guess we are going to use cube steak......but next time.....i will buy a bottom round steak, and have the grocery store tenderize it twice for me......

btw gunny..........thankx for your recipe for your cfs.......

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Sorry for not getting to you soon dude... Been down at the market all day and planting the front flower garden..

I have done it both ways.. Deep fried and pan fried.. Cube steak is the quick and easy way.. But good home style chicken fried steak does really come from round steak.. I hammer mine out with a hand tenderizer.. Keep it simple just flour, S&P... Dip in milk and pan fry in a good cast iron skillet.. When done cooking the steaks make you pan gravy with the drippings..

Not rocket science by no means but so many restaurants dip in batter and then deep fry.. Kinda looses the greatness of home style..
                  Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

BTW gunny..........thankx for your recipe for your cfs.......
                    I thought you'd like that, buddy.

Nothing special. Flour, black pepper, and garlic salt. Dredge in flour, then in eggs, then back to the flour, and PAN FRY only till brown (don't wanna over cook the steak). Deep fried? Can you say curly steaks.
                    This morning we used round that was tenderized at the processors.

Gravy goes like this. Fry pork sausage with fresh garlic and a little bit of bacon grease, add flour, make a roux, add milk, lots of black pepper, and a pinch of ground rosemary. And maybe a pinch of onion powder. All to taste of course. Sometimes, we'll add shrooms. Smother CFS, homemade hash-browns, and eggs (made by chickens) with gravy and enjoy.
                    Told ya, nothin' special.

Tom

Comment

Well, I cook lots a different ways, with cast an without, never had no complaints on my chicken fried steak yet. Mine don't curl up when I deep fry em, plus they don't tend ta soak up much oil that way either.

Hey ta each there own.
                      sigpic

Comment

Okay help me with a confusion here. I thought Country Fried Steak was beef and Chicken dried steak was chicken. I ordered chicken fried steak last night and i got chicken and at Chilis Country fried is with beef.
                        If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                        Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                          Okay help me with a confusion here. I thought Country Fried Steak was beef and Chicken dried steak was chicken. I ordered chicken fried steak last night and i got chicken and at Chilis Country fried is with beef.
                          Chicken has nothing to do with either one. It's beef.

Here's what I read years ago in a magazine at the doc's office.
                          Chicken fried steak-fried in shortening in a pan like chicken.
                          Country fried steak-fried with bacon grease.

Personally I think it's more regional than anything, because I've eaten both and more often than not, they are the same.

Edit: Also I think chicken fried steak usually comes with some type of white gravy made from the pan drippings (like chicken gravy), whereas country fried steak comes with a dark beef gravy.
                          Last edited by Gunslinger; 04-25-2009, 08:24 PM.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by JustSmoke2 View Post
                            LOLOLOLOL...........sorry couldn't help my self.........in SOME areas, country fried steak and chicken fried steak are the same..........but if it sez steak ANYWHERE in that menu, it better BE beef........

chicken fried steak is basically saying..........tenderrized beef fried up like you would chicken..........

Comment

LOLOLOLOL...........sorry couldn't help my self.........in SOME areas, country fried steak and chicken fried steak are the same..........but if it sez steak ANYWHERE in that menu, it better BE beef........

chicken fried steak is basically saying..........tenderrized beef fried up like you would chicken..........

.. Hope hes not confused now...
                              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Working...
                              X