Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil drum used to build a vertical reverse flow...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil drum used to build a vertical reverse flow...

Alright guys...loading this bad boy up to take it home this weekend...

I need ideas!!! It'll be a super slow build but I'm excited!!
    Attached Files
    ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Did the tank come with the midget?

EDIT: I PM'd Dana, BBQ Engineer, a while back with the idea of doing the same thing. He couldn't really see a problem with my concept. I haven't attacked it as yet because because I found that one of the tanks I had was galvanized & was painted over. I haven't really searched for another tank yet. Here is the crude graphic I came up with...

The red is the fire chamber & the smoke chamber with the dark section being a vent from the fire chamber to the top portion of the smoke chamber & the blue being the smoke stack out.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by THE ICEMAN; 12-26-2011, 03:26 PM.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
    Paul

Comment

Dang...a vertical reverse flow cylindar....I am sure bbq engineer,bbally and the others will be along with some thoughts....I have only seen them horizontal from cylinders...

I do use couple backwoods in comps with black cat and thats basicaly what they are,but using a cabinet(rectangular) shell...

This should be neat build....

Comment

Thinking lazy Susan style racks with all "ducting" external.....need to get some spare time at work and I'm gonna create a 3D model...
        ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

A reverse flow lazy susan.....hmmmmmm. I like the concept.
          Doing some mental gymnastics on this now. I think if you do it right, it might be better than a basic rectangular cabinet design.
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by THE ICEMAN View Post
            Did the tank come with the midget?

EDIT: I PM'd Dana, BBQ Engineer, a while back with the idea of doing the same thing. He couldn't really see a problem with my concept. I haven't attacked it as yet because because I found that one of the tanks I had was galvanized & was painted over. I haven't really searched for another tank yet. Here is the crude graphic I came up with...

The red is the fire chamber & the smoke chamber with the dark section being a vent from the fire chamber to the top portion of the smoke chamber & the blue being the smoke stack out.

Hope that helps.
            That's exactly what I was thinking!!

And yes the midget came with it...;) only problem is he wont stop growing!!
            ~Phillip

Comment

Have you considered using that big tank just by itself for a reverse flow? Like a giant UDS but the flow characteristics of a backwoods smoker?

Comment

That's kinda the idea I'm having...turn it into a reverse flow UDS....I'll have some images tomorrow....
                ~Phillip

Comment

yeah that vertical design sounds cool. kinda like some we saw at the comp. i definitely want in on the burn out on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX
                    thing is....comp folk idioits....

KCBS is a joke...lookin go texas deal....MNB they have us...What Mikey run from goofball(california)....they run tacos on hour i hear....Masters...
                    Did someone hijack Alx account or did he have to much Christmas cheer????
                    www.nopigleftbehind.com
                    -----------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by gooose53 View Post
                      Did someone hijack Alx account or did he have to much Christmas cheer????
                      Looks like a fairly normal ALX post to me.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

Alright....below is a rough sketch of what I have in mind...

Will likely use round chimney duct in place of the square now..depends on what materials I can find....
                        Attached Files
                        ~Phillip

Comment

Good work up of your smoker 49

Personally, if it were me, and this is just my opinion, I would try to keep and sharp turns to a minimum to ensure smooth airflow. Just like a houses duct work, everytime one comes to a hard turn, like a 90 degree, the flow is restricted. Something to consider.

Comment

I like that design, might have to try one(like I need another project)

Comment

Just wait bd....I'm probably going to do a detailed model before I start cutting...:-D
                              ~Phillip

Comment

Working...
                              X