No announcement yet.

Venison Summer Sausage (Ryteks tweeked)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Summer Sausage (Ryteks tweeked)

Took out a pack of frozen pork butts the other day as I wanted to make more sausage, namely, more Summer Sausage.

Started off by inspecting the butts and removing and string stuff/glands ect.
    While butts were still pretty frozen, I sliced off steaks and cut them into strips. In the end, I had 16# of cut up butt.

Ran all the meat thru a 3/8th plate.

Having all the spices pre measured, I added them to the meat. No liquid for this recipe so I had to mix dry. THIS IS WHERE I WISH I HAD INSLUATED GLOVES!!!!! Almost got frostbite. lol.

Ran thru grinder once more. Should have switched plates to my 3/16th but too lazy.
    Ok, I forgot, but it all came out good.

Once all mixed up, I set in porch to meld for a few hours.

A few hours later, brought back in the house and added the Citric Acid. Mixed up good and into the stuffer hopper.

Casing and strings soaking 30 minutes prior to this. First time using clear ones, I think I like em better. (aesthetically speaking of the final product). I find when you wet the stings, you get a much tighter knot than doing it dry.

Sliding casing onto stuffing tube. (brings back memories of my pre married days)

Cranking out the meat, trying to get just a bit over 1# in each casing as the addition of spices brings the total weight over 10#.

When all done, there is always a bit of meat left in the bottom, in the tube and on the plunger. I simply make a wad of napkins and stuff them in the push the meat into the casing with the handle of a wooden spoon. Just like cleaning the bore of a gun.

All stuffed and tied.

To hang, I take two chubs and slip the factory strings over each other and pull. The chubs are connected but not tied in a knot. Then I hang them on the rack of the “Big Chief” to dry a bit.

Smoke time.
    Into the Big Chief at 130 degrees for 4 hours. Raised temps to 171 degrees after than and held there until internal of 152. Removed and showered quickly with cold water, then set outside until internal temp dropped to 100. Brought inside and let sit for one hour to bloom.
    Back out onthe porch for the night.

Big Chief has no heat regulator on it. However, on it’s own, with it being cold as it is outside, it runs at 130-132 degrees. Slid a cardbord box on it, it holds at 165-167. Put another cardboard box on that one and temps hold at 169-173. Walla, adjustable thermostat lol.

After everything is said and done, this SS came out better I think than any other ones I have made and will for sure, without a doubt, be my “go to” recipe, unless I find a better one.
    Taste like a venison Summer Sausage should. No one ingredient/spice stood out or overpowered the others. A very good balance. This was Ryteks recipe and like most of his, are pretty good and set up so they appeal to most everyone. Made the way they are, they allow you to tweek them to your own tastes. This is the first time I made this particular one but I knew that the small amount of garlic he had in his would not appeal to me, thus I felt safe to bump it up a bit and will bump it up some more next round.

Blooming here, will go out on the porch overnight.

Next day, a sliced shot.

Another thing I will say is this. I have made fermented SS before thanks to Kingudaroads advice/recipe. Loved it, very tangy.
    I seen the citric acid in the store and decided to give a whirl. Not nearly the tang of fermented, but it was there, in the background. Don’t know much about the stuff and went with the recomended amounts. Will adding more boost the tanginess of sausage? Anyone know?

Ryteks recipe calls for the option of adding 1 tsp. of garlic powder. Well, I like garlic so I went with 1 Tbl. of granulated garlic powder. In fact, I really like garlic, so I added 2 additional Tbl of minced garlic. In the end, it could have used more, was not over powering in the least and will make it a even 1/4 C next time. The other changes I made were NO corn syrup solids AND I used the recommended amount of Citric Acid in place of Fermento. Also, added special meat binder AND........of couse, Mustard Seed. While I was mixing the stuff up, something didn’t look quite right and I said “Gadzooks” (I so seldom get to use that term in a sentence lol), no Mustard Seed. Love poppin them between my teeth.....

If you don’t have his book, here is the recipe I went with WITH my tweeks.

8# Lean venison
    2# Pork trimmins
    1 Tbl Ground Black Pepper
    5 Tbl Salt
    4 Tbl Powdered Dextrose
    1 Tbl Ground Coriander
    2 t Pink Cure Salt
    1 tsp Ground Ginger
    1 tsp Ground Mustard
    1 Tbl Granulated Garlic
    2 Tbl Minced Garlic
    20 g. Special Meat Binder
    33 g. Citric Acid

Anyhow, that’s all for this round, thanks for lookin
    Last edited by Meat Hunter; 02-01-2012, 01:38 PM. Reason: added black pepper....oooops
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

hey hey - that's some great looking summer sausage, and great use of the big chief as well! i've got a little chief and a big chief, and to me, they are perfect fomr something like this.

ok, showin' my newbie card here - please explain the "bloom?"

thanks!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

You've been a busy guy, another great post! Might have to owe you some as this weekend has been brutal. Those look positively awesome.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Nice looking S.S,Todd.I have used more than called for on the E.C.A it does get Tangier.(If that's a word) On the use of Gadzooks in a sentence.Also a Catty use of the Big Chief.Have to catch ya on the points.
        sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Now That Is Awesome looking Venison SS !!!!

Thanks for the Great Thread !!!!

I'm gonna have to owe you some----->>

Gotta write it down on a post-it !!! (CRS)
          Done!

Bear
          Last edited by Bearcarver; 12-27-2011, 10:05 AM. Reason: Points added
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Looks great there Todd.

Tom

Comment

Looks great Todd. Nice improv with the big chief.

Just picked up some citric acid at Fleet Farm a few weeks ago. Wanted to try it out too. I'll keep what you said about the amount in mind. Thanks.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
                ok, showin' my newbie card here - please explain the "bloom?"
                After the cool down step, it's nothing more than letting them hang somewhere at room temp to dry out a bit and age. When they come out of the smoker, they will be darker as seen in the pics. Letting them hang for a couple hours, they will get darker and the color will be more even among them. I hope I said that right LOL.

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                Looks great Todd. Nice improv with the big chief.

Just picked up some citric acid at Fleet Farm a few weeks ago. Wanted to try it out too. I'll keep what you said about the amount in mind. Thanks.
                Cool beans Ray. I've almost got that Big Chief dialed in the various cardboard boxes and various slit cut in the top at strategic points
                https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Very nice looks great, love this time of year when the sausage starts showing up.

Comment

Working...
                  X