• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear back strap?

A good friend gave me a bear back strap
    It's a sweeter wild game, and I know how to treat venison,
    BUT, this wonderful morsel, which is 3.5--4" in dia., do I
    treat it the same way as veny, strap--hot and fast?
    I've had bear roast, low and slow, pulled, but the strap is a
    special catch, and looking for ideas?
    Just asking!

Never had it but look forward to seeing what you end up doing with it. Make sure to post when you do
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I treated our bear just like venison and I would eat it over venison any day. It was the first bear that I had ever shot or eaten and my brother and I couldn't believe the great flavor as we had always heard bad stories about bear meat. Or favorite way to eat it in the fish house or hunting was to fry it in a pan for a few minutes and then dump a can of Bush's Grilling Beans in the pan and cook for a while. We butterflied all of our back straps but I bet they would be great cut into a roast and then stuffed and smoked.
      Propane Smoke Shack
      UDS
      Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
      sigpic

Comment

Dont have a recipe, but I would definitely make sure it is thoroughly cooked. No raw or pink. That being said, I would probably look for some sort of crockpot/slow cooking method. Cook it till its fork tender.

Reason I say this, bear is one of the wild animals that have trichinosis. With todays safety standards, trichinosis pretty much has been eliminated in domestic animals. Not so for wild game though.

Just something to keep in mind.
        sigpic

Comment

Missed this one. Yes treat it just like your venison. Anything you've done with a venison backstrap will translate the same. Just a little different taste.

Last fall my nephew shot one. In Rheinlander Wisc, btw. We butterflied out one strap for chops, and the other was cut in half and frozen. He cured and smoked one chunk, don't know what he decided for the other.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Working...
          X