Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Canadian Bacon with a crap load of other stuff as well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Canadian Bacon with a crap load of other stuff as well.

I have been wanting to make some Canadian bacon for a while now and I actually had two loins in my fridge from last summer when they went on sale so I finally made time to try it. I followed Bearcarvers instructions and they turned out awesome. I won't bore you on the details since Bear has an awesome step by step post but basically they were cured with tender quick and brown sugar for 10 days and then rinsed and covered with garlic/onion powder and pepper over night in the fridge to dry and then I threw them on my buddies electric Bradley smoker and took them to 145-149 degrees. I will definitely be making this again.

The loins.

All bagged up with the tender quick and brown sugar for 10 days.

Soaking and the fry test. I had to soak them for around 2 hours.

All seasoned and ready to nap in the garage cooler for the night.

Here is my buddies smoker I was using for the day up at my brothers house. I had some real challenges maintaining temps. Good thing I had a thermometer as they temps were off by about 50 degrees according to his heat source controller.

All done and ready to sit over night in the cooler.

Slicing them up. I made some thin for Canadian Bacon, some a little thicker for breakfast bacon and some about an inch thick for smoked/cured pork chops for supper.

Here is my load of Canadian Bacon.

I was up at my brothers for Christmas and we both had Friday off so we fired up 4 smokers and smoked a crap load of stuff that day. Along with the Canadian Bacon here are a few shots of everything else.

Beef Ribs for supper.

Pastrami.

Pulled Pork.

And Salmon. (These two pieces were from my brothers, girlfriends, dad and they looked horrible but the end result was great. Oh well they were going back to him so we didn't care. My brother had 3 slabs from Sam's club that he did for his freezer.

I also tried out my new IQ 110 PID on my UDS. I still need some tinkering/learning with this unit to figure out where I need to run it to keep the temps I want.

And here is a shot of the smokers on the deck.

It was a fun and great way to spend a Friday before Xmas. Thanks for looking.
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Looks wonderful! Great job!!
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Damn Ross, you weren't kiddin were ya. You wuz busy....

Everything looks great. Some damn fine lookin CB I think are deserving of some , being it was your first time and all
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
        Damn Ross, you weren't kiddin were ya. You wuz busy....

Everything looks great. Some damn fine lookin CB I think are deserving of some , being it was your first time and all
        Yes it was a lot of work but it was fun. I'm just glad the weather has been so nice this year so far.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

Wow!!!
          You really were busy!!!

Everything looks Great.

I was drifting off a bit here, until I saw "BEEF RIBS" !!!!
          That always perks me up!!!!

Glad you like that CB & Boneless Smoked Pork Chops.

These---- ------are for doing such an Awesome job!!!

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Nice work Ross and everything looks great!
            --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Excellent job on everything, Ross.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Rockstar Ross! Sweeeet!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X