Latvian Sprats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latvian Sprats

A couple of years ago, I received a great gift from a great friend: a tin of Baltic sprats, imported from Latvia:

Wikipedia gives some good information on these tasty little treats:

The Baltic sprat, Sprattus sprattus balticus, is a herring-like, marine fish in the family Clupeidae. It is found in northeast Atlantic Ocean and most of the Baltic Sea, excluding the Bothnian Bay and eastern Gulf of Finland. Its length is up to 16 cm.

Young sprats are commonly known as brisling.

Canned sprats (usually smoked) are available in many north European countries, including the Baltic States, Scandinavia, Germany, Poland and Russia. They are an important Latvian export.
    The research I had also indicated that sprats go well when served with another regional favourite:

I'd been meaning to try them for quite a long time, and even took them out a couple of times during some events when family got together, but it never happened until Chrsitmas Eve - this past weekend - when I took them out to my parents' place for an impromptu grazing fest. The sprats lent a nice contrast to the usual chips, dips, deli and reslish trays and other similar fare.

Eager to try them, I layed out some crackers and opened up the tin:

The can had had a hard life in our shelf. It had been knocked to the floor at least three times that I know of, and one day i came home from work to find the cat batting it around like a hockey puck; consequently, it looked like the sprats got a little beat up, but there was no denying the very nice, briny aroma they had, highlighted by a very sultry, smoky (smokey?) ambience that really made me want to try them.

My dad loaded one up on a cracker for the picture:

And then I prepared one for myself as well, to be accompanied by the chilled vodka.

We both decided that these Latvian goodies were really something extraordinary, and thoroughly enjoyed them. A couple of my older boys thought they were good too; however, the rest of the family, including my mother, sister, brother-in-law, the younger boys, my lovely young niece and the beautiful Mrs. Tas, did not try them. No worries ~ more for us!

These were really good, and I think a person who likes sardines, herring, and similar products would enjoy them very much. They are slightly stronger than sardines, but not nearly so much as anchovies - and the smokiness that is imparted into them really takes them to a great level.

My thanks to John for sending them, and sorry that it took so long to finally try them - but they were worth the wait! To those who have never tried them, but might life them, I say you need to give them a go ~ perhaps for New Year's Eve....
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

I, for one, KNOW I would like them.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Like SmokinOutBack---There is no question as to the fact that I would love that stuff!!!
      I would stake my supply of canned smoked oysters, sardines, and kippered snacks, in the cabinet, and the frozen sets of Shad Roe in my freezer on it!!!!

Bear
      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

yup...count me in. I eat anchovies (in OO only) like that :{) MMM!
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

yep, I eat lot of tinned fish
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
          X