New Dutch Oven and ?s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dutch Oven and ?s

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas! Santa Brought me a couple of Dutch ovens I have always had an interest in them, but have never used one. They are preseason, but someone told me I should reseason them anyway. Is this correct? also, can anyone suggest a good book with the basic how-to's and recipes for a new DO owner? Probably pretty dumb questions but I have no experience here.
    Thanks

Got something for ya in a exe file! PM coming!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I use the PAM Method and it has yet to fail me.. LINK
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I bought one of these to cook over an open fire.

Comment

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-cooking.shtml

Try this Site Squirrel....lots of good information here
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
            Got something for ya in a exe file! PM coming!
            Hey Mike, is that exe file the one I posted a couple of years ago (cast iron cookbook)? I still have it but can't figure out how to forward it and the site no longer exists.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
              Hey Mike, is that exe file the one I posted a couple of years ago (cast iron cookbook)? I still have it but can't figure out how to forward it and the site no longer exists.
              Yes Sir...I can't post it...but i'll send it to ya or others...
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                Yes Sir...I can't post it...but i'll send it to ya or others...

I thought I had set the parameters up so the size file would be OK??
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I got ya Mike. Here's a few I have saved.
                  Attached Files
                  S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                  CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                    I have the same one. From Castirontrader.com? Can't forward it either.
                    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                    New Braunfels Bandera
                    UniFlame Gas Grill
                    Lil Chief

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!
                      I had no idea there was so many extra toys to buy to go along with these things... guessing the wife will be thinking twice now... hahaha

Mike i cant open that exe file...

I sure do appreciate all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                        I thought I had set the parameters up so the size file would be OK??
                        I'll send it to ya & see if it works...
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                          I use the PAM Method and it has yet to fail me.. LINK
                          This is the same method I use. Works great.

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                          I bought one of these to cook over an open fire.

We went to a Pioneer Descendants Gathering at Gentryville Missouri last summer and my Dad bought one of those from a black smith. We got to watch him build it right there. It was cool.

Tom

Comment

Re:

You can learn a lot from the Boy Scouts of America here:

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/

I am using Flax seed oil on mine nowdays. Some people still use bacon fat
                            but it's a matter of what you want to try. Flax is an edible oil and works good with cast iron. You can find it at drug stores....just look for the food grade stuff.

After you've gottem seasoned you may want to make one of these lid lifters. If you have a 3 1/2 piece of 3/8 rebar you can heat the end with a torch and bend a hook. From the other end cut a 4" piece to weld behind the hook. Then you can wrap the end you hold with whatever you think would be comfortable. It won't get that hot.

These are quite helpful if you're going to be cooking on a campfire.

If you want, you can buy or build a DO Table like this:

This can save your back some aches and pains if that's a problem.

You may want to check out your local Public Library as there
                            are often DO cookbooks there. Again Boy Scouts and Scout
                            Masters check them out rather often as they work on their
                            cooking requirements for advancement and merit badges.

Harbor Freight sells a Cen Tech non contact Laser targeting thermometer,
                            Pistol shaped with digital read out and often on sale. Just point and read
                            the temp on the side of your DO.

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-con...ter-96451.html

If you got questions, just ask.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

I bought a couple of the Lodge pre-seasoned DO's several years ago and used them right out of the box. They worked fine, no sticking. I do use the pam method for seasoning when needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X