Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So - I hear you ask - whatever happened to the sloe gin ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So - I hear you ask - whatever happened to the sloe gin ?

Well I was just running behind this year so the sloe gin only got decanted the day before christmas eve !

Used an elastic band to fix double layers of muslin over a jug, and filtered the bits from the sloe gin.

Now I was going to order some little 150ml bottles. But instead I found these mini-mason jars in a local shop. about $.75 each.

Just thought they looked neat :-)

So from the first lot of gin (made with berries pre-frost) I got this little lot

It's good stuff

I also filled a jar with the sloes and gave them to my next door neighbour.
    He has non-conventional tastebuds. I put it down to a lifetime of eating chillis (he's indian) and smoking.
    Basically he's the only person I've ever met who can eat sloes straight from the hedge.
    So the sweetened gin soaked ones should be right up his street :-)

Christmas gift bags this year consisted of: 4 types of smoked cheese, 2 kinds of smoked almonds, 24hour cold smoked garlic and a couple of jars of sloe gin or a mini-bottle :-)
    Made a nice solid package.

I've still got a couple of bottles of gin made with post frost berries. That I'm going to leave for another month or so before decanting.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM.
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Really cool stuff mate
    sigpic

Comment

Very cool Alex. Was just looking online on how this stuff is made. Pretty interesting. Apparently, the spent berries can be used to make jelly as well.
      https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

That even looks good to me!!!

And I'm a Beer Drinking kind of a guy.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Neat. I love those jars!!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
            Very cool Alex. Was just looking online on how this stuff is made. Pretty interesting. Apparently, the spent berries can be used to make jelly as well.
            lol you can if you like. They are still extremely dry and most of the flavour has gone into the gin (I did eat one).
            Like I said sloes are not palatable unless you're the sort of person who eats pickled chillis for breakfast and smokes cigarettes :-)
            Hmm, guess I should send some to rich when I decant the next batch

The sloe gin itself is smooth, sweet, fruity and warming. Very nice stuff - I;m glad I made so much as after filling up little jars and bottles for other people I've only got half a bottle left for myself :-)
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
            X