Hillbilly Drum Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillbilly Drum Build

Well got a fair start on the drum taday. Got here burnt out with a 5 million btu turbo torch, ifin there was a linin in there, it sure didn't survive that! Burnt the paint offin the outside to.

After burnin it off I then gave it a good wash out with the powerwasher. Then hit everthin with a 4 inch wire wheel on my angle grinder.

It's sittin over in the small garage with a fresh coat a primer. Tammarraw I will start layout an drillin holes.

Post more pics as it progresses.
    sigpic

looking good dude........looking good...........did anyone get a pic of you inSIDE that barrel with that 4 inch wire wheel?

THAT would of been a grin !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Nope, no photo ops givin here!
      sigpic

Comment

Tip, the liner is still there.

Your drum . . .

Originally posted by travcoman45 View Post
        My first lined drum . . .

Same drum after HOURS with the wire cup on the angle grinder before I gave up and got a different drum.

It should be shiny bare metal.

That liner is TOUGH. People have gotten them out but it is a royal PIA!! I have heard that a 40 grit sanding disc will work as well as a hard rubber paint stripper wheel made for epoxy. I did not try either of these though.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Perty much all gone after the wire brush. Gave it another hot burn an it was all but gone. Ain't nough left now ta bother much. Don't smell none after the blow torch test. It sure can't be harmfull after makin that drum glow red! It will never get that hot again. Any hotter an I wouldn't a had a drum left!
          Last edited by travcoman45; 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Don't smell none after the blow torch test. It sure can't be harmfull after makin that drum glow red! It will never get that hot again. Any hotter an I wouldn't a had a drum left!
            I would tend to agree. Read a lot about "off gassing" and such from the epoxy liner from other folks but never really saw any definitive sources. Just people's opinions, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.

If you;re good with it, build on, brother.

Can't wait to see the finished pics. Sounds like you got a cool color scheme and decals in the works.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Here's be the drum with a coat a high temp ceramic primer. Got the layout lines on an ready ta start some drillin. I found a seamstress tape measure, one the cloth ones works real well fer measurin on that drum!

Here it be with the rack supports in, I use 1/4 inch x 3/4 inch x 2 1/2 inch u bolts fer the rack supports. Damper nipples er all installed an lock nutted an the meat temp gauge port is installed. Got a lid I'm gonna use fer now, came offin a george foreman electric grill. Will fit inside the rim a the original lid, so can make it work till I find me a weber lid.

Next is ta get the charcoal basket built an the shelf made fer it, then paint an some wheels an she be ready ta go.
              sigpic

Comment

good start...........but where's the pics of the insides.........these u bolts?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Perty much all gone after the wire brush. Gave it another hot burn an it was all but gone. Ain't nough left now ta bother much. Don't smell none after the blow torch test. It sure can't be harmfull after makin that drum glow red! It will never get that hot again. Any hotter an I wouldn't a had a drum left!
                  i would think, no hotter than that drum will get........250-350, that you will get off gassing..........specailly if Tip got it glowing red............doubt he will EVER get that drum THAT hot again, smoking meats..........

Comment

I'll post em when I take the next batch a pics, 2nd coat a primer was still wet.
                    sigpic

Comment

Update

Well been super busy with yard work an some shop repairs, ain't worked on the drum as much as I'd liked ta. Got shelf brackets mounted taday an the shelf cut. I did some wood burnin on it an then a nice coat a maple stain an the first coat a poly.

Try an post some pics tammarraw!
                      sigpic

Comment

I can see the beginning of a PDS ...(Pretty Drum Smoker) ...

Comment

Lookin good! I'm gettin stuff lined up to build one.
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

The Shelf

Still givin it coats a clear, but here be a qview.

The one ta the left is my intials, made that up years ago, the one ta the right er the initals fer Hillbilly Vittles, our caterin company.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X