A birthday and a few cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A birthday and a few cakes

Yesterday was my youngest daughter's (Arial) birthday. We celebrated it today, so we could invite some family and friends, and also so I could make here a cake. She insisted on having a butterfly cake.
    The original plan was to make several cakes, and cut out wings and a body and fit them all together to form the bug. Unfortunately, I got busy and time slipped away and I ended up with this:

Now usually I take a little more pride in my cakes, but I had to whip this baby out quick. I still had to get the burgers and grill ready. So the wife baked the cake and rather than de-molding it, I iced it in the pan. Now what about the damn butterfly? Ever hand painted a cake? First time for me. I've never even heard of doing it, but it works. I've seen airbrushed cakes, but never brush painted. Oh well, she loved it and that's all that mattered to me.

Well here are a few more that I did early in my learning stages. My technique has come a long ways since these, and I do a whole lot better at lettering. Probably THEE hardest part of cake decorating. And yes, I make the flowers. They're not purchased that way.

This is the first one I ever did. I did this for my wifes 40th and wanted all black roses. But I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I went with one. Anyway, we used to have a pro, that we go to church with, do our cakes, but for some reason she started snubbing us, so I decided to learn to do it myself. She USED to do all the cakes for church members too. Notice, "USED to?"

I made this one with the red, white and blue theme for my brother when he returned from Iraq.

Here's one for my mother's birthday.

Here's the cake I did for my son's 13th. He wanted those stupid stars on the right side. I don't know.

And Arial's cake from last April. It's supposed to be a castle. I don't see it, but everyone else does.

And my middle daughter's (Mercedes) 9th Bday.

You can see from todays cake how much better my lettering is. Lettering is the hardest part of it. It's kinda gay, but decorating cakes is a good way to pass the time.
    Last edited by Gunslinger; 04-25-2009, 09:45 PM.

Tom

nice...i wish i was that good..i never would have to buy a cake again...thats a nice talent to have....cakes look awesome...
    Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Thanks Doc.
      I remember when I used to complain about the cost of a professionally made cake. Not that I'm am even close to pro caliber, but now I know why they cost so much.

Tom

Comment

I'd PAY to see a vid of this... A big ole burly guy, scrunched up, tongue firmly between teeth decorating a cake

Nice work, Tom! A Monarch if I'm not mistaken?
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I'd PAY to see a vid of this... A big ole burly guy, scrunched up, tongue firmly between teeth decorating a cake

Nice work, Tom! A Monarch if I'm not mistaken?
          Like I said, kinda gay. I bet that would be a funny sight.

Tom

Comment

my aunt was a cake decorator, and i remember her working on big wedding cakes... very demanding as far as concentration and patience... looks like you got both cause you have made some real nice looking cakes. kudos to you!!! awesome job!!!
            Charbroil SFB
            GOSM
            MES
            Dutch Ovens and other CI
            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
              my aunt was a cake decorator, and i remember her working on big wedding cakes... very demanding as far as concentration and patience... looks like you got both cause you have made some real nice looking cakes. kudos to you!!! awesome job!!!
              I get to do my second wedding cake for a couple we know, in June. I'll take some pics.
              I only do this for fun. Same reason I have the FFL, just for fun.

Tom

Comment

The cakes look almost too good to eat!!! Nice job, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Arial!!!

Comment

Great job on the cakes Gunny!!
                  Makin some ones eyes light up when they see one of your cakes aint at all gay!!!
                  Gene

sigpic

The Farm...
                  http://gardenofeatn-rhf.blogspot.com/

Comment

I dont see gay here ... Duff Goldman not gay and he has some really cool cakes on Ace Of Cakes..

Good job on yours.. I know I have tried and failed many times..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      I dont see gay here ... Duff Goldman not gay and he has some really cool cakes on Ace Of Cakes..

Good job on yours.. I know I have tried and failed many times..
                      I suppose you're right. Not like I've never seen a straight guy decorating cakes. But here's the thing. I drive a truck, farm, hunt, fish, weld, etc. Well, I'm not even going to finish, since I know girls that do all that stuff too. And probably better.

Tom

Comment

Your just getting in touch with your sensitive side... Women love that..lol

But if you start taking love stories or romance movies... Your man card just might get pulled...
                        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                          Your just getting in touch with your sensitive side... Women love that..lol

But if you start taking love stories or romance movies... You man card just might get pulled...
                          No way man. Full Metal Jacket, Tombstone, Animal House, only dude movies for me. Is it OK to sew though?

Tom

Comment

All I can say is it's a good thing I cant make cakes, I'm fat enough.

Great stuff gunslinger.

Comment

Dang, Gunny,

Those look awesome!!

Originally posted by grothe View Post
                              Makin some ones eyes light up when they see one of your cakes aint at all gay!!!
                              Amen to that, brother.

Dave
                              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                              UDS 1.0
                              Afterburner
                              Weber Performer
                              Blue Thermapen
                              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                              Auber Smoker Controller
                              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                              -
                              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
                              X