Dehydrating Apples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrating Apples?

We eat a few apples around here, but not a ton. My father has been in the Lions Club for about 50 years & every year they sell boxes of apples from Yakima with the proceeds going to some charity. My 16 y/o helped box them & got a bunch of easy community hours for school.

So, they were a hot item at first, then everyone forgot about (aboot ) them more or less & a few started to turn. I thought of different ways to preserve them & decided on drying/dehydrating them, which I have never done before. So I did a little research & watched a couple of YouTube videos & ended up washing, taking core/seeds oot & slicing them 1/4" thick+- and they are in the dehydrator now...... Any other suggestions are far as what "dryness" I am looking for? etc? ..... I'm thinking a Mad Hunky & Apple chicken (or pork) sausage is in me future

Basically any comments in general regarding drying/dhydrating them, using them & or storage would be appreciated.....

sigpic

I've done it and covered them in lemon juice just so they don't brown prior to drying them.
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Tadowdaddy is on the right track...either some fruit-fresh, or a lemon juice and water bath will help keep them from browning. Usually the ones you get from the store are still kinda chewy, not crunchy.....I guess that's where I would prolly aim for dryness....

Don't forget about (aboot) some finish pics!!!

L8r,
      Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
        Tadowdaddy is on the right track...either some fruit-fresh, or a lemon juice and water bath will help keep them from browning. Usually the ones you get from the store are still kinda chewy, not crunchy.....I guess that's where I would prolly aim for dryness....

Don't forget about (aboot) some finish pics!!!

L8r,
        Eric
        Eric is right on the money here. Try some sprinkled with cinnamon sugar (while they're still moist) before you begin the drying process.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Some of the vids & recipes I read/watched did & did not have the lemon juice bath soak or spray on them ....... I was oot of lemon juice, so I opted to not run to the store just for that.... I will pick some up tomorrow & the next batch will get the lemon juice/water bath before hand.... Might make an interesting comparison on colour (CA) .......

RE: STORAGE????
          I see storage options all over the board..... I do have a foodsaver with a wide mouth lid attachment.... I was kinda favoring that in Quart jars.... Comments?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            Some of the vids & recipes I read/watched did & did not have the lemon juice bath soak or spray on them ....... I was oot of lemon juice, so I opted to not run to the store just for that.... I will pick some up tomorrow & the next batch will get the lemon juice/water bath before hand.... Might make an interesting comparison on colour (CA) .......

RE: STORAGE????
            I see storage options all over the board..... I do have a foodsaver with a wide mouth lid attachment.... I was kinda favoring that in Quart jars.... Comments?
            Everytime I have done some, they haven't lasted long enough to worry about long term storage. Me and the fam hit them pretty hard. Remember that your finished yield is a lot less than what you start with.
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Good stuff folks & thanks .... 3 trays got the cinnamon/sugar treatment...... Which lead to 2 rounds of whole wheat toast with butter & the cinnamon/sugar treatment for the kid & wife unit
              sigpic

Comment

You might think about doing some fruit leather with the Apple too,if you have the trays for it. I have some around here my parents made a month or so ago and its to die for. Tastes like cinnamon Apple sauce, but not nearly as messy when you're on the go.

sent from my super cool internet enabled pocket watch.
                Mike
                Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                  You might think about doing some fruit leather with the Apple too,if you have the trays for it. I have some around here my parents made a month or so ago and its to die for. Tastes like cinnamon Apple sauce, but not nearly as messy when you're on the go.

sent from my super cool internet enabled pocket watch.
                  That did cross my mind & yes I have 1 tray for it..... I'm not a fan of it, but me young one likes that stuff...... Thanks for the suggestion.... Maybe I will ask him, as he has been in charge of mixing & sprinkling the cinnamon/sugar on the apples & toast also
                  sigpic

Comment

I did my first dehydrated apples this fall and loved them, I took them to a dry chewy stage and thought they were perfect. I also made a apple and caramelized onion sausage that even the wife liked. (so it had too be good).
                    I did mine without any preservative and didn't mind the color being a touch brown.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sausage link Dan? I'm all ears/eyes, although I'm purty sure I seen it first round. Thanks for re-reminding me, that really sounds good!!
                      sigpic

Comment

We did our first dried apples this year as well
                        Liked them enough the better 1/2 bought one of those apple coring , peeling , slicing hand crank things.
                        Worked great till a stubborn apple folded the core / slicer blade over
                        She returned that one and got a " Back To Basics' brand and it is good quality . The company puts out a few other brand names as well , but all the same parts , you can get replacement parts easily online.
                        The foodsaver vac lid and quart jars seemed to work well for us , and the cin was good too
                        Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

I got nothing useful for ya, Fish. Never tried drying any fruit but I can't wait to see your results!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Sausage link Dan? I'm all ears/eyes, although I'm purty sure I seen it first round. Thanks for re-reminding me, that really sounds good!!
                            Sorry Fish Man, I've been lookin but have yet to find my recipe. Hell I can't even find the pics I took. I'm sure I didn't post it anywhere. I'm pretty sure I made it. Hmmm
                            Last edited by DanMcG; 01-04-2012, 02:40 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd take a bunch of them apples and make myself a big azz apple crisp...and double the brown sugar / oatmeal topping. prolly throw in a few carmels with the apples, and a touch of cider too. Serve that hot with some vanilla bean ice cream...DAYUM!!
                              BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                              Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                              I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Working...
                              X