Insulation Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulation Info

I was doing a little research on temp ranges of Fiberglass Batts vs. Rock Wool Insulation, and, and found this info.

I gotta figure out how to make this table work!

Hope This Helps!

Todd

Calcium Silicate Insulation

Non-asbestos Calcium Silicate insulation board and pipe insulation feature with light weight, low thermal conductivity, high temperature and chemical resistance.

Cellular Glass Insulation
    Cellular glass insulation is composed of crushed glass combined with a cellulating agent.

These components are mixed, placed in a mold, and then heated to a temperature of approximately 950°F. During the heating process, the crushed glass turns to a liquid. Decomposition of the cellulating agent will cause the mixture to expand and fill the mold. The mixture creates millions of connected, uniform, closed-cells and form at the end a rigid insulating material.

Cellulose Insulation
    Cellulose is made from shredded recycled paper, such as newsprint or cardboard. It's treated with chemicals to make it fire- and insect-resistant, and is applied as loose-fill or wet-sprayed through a machine.

Fiberglass Insulation
    Fiberglass is the most common type of insulation. It's made from molten glass spun into microfibers.

Mineral Wool Insulation

Mineral wool is made from molten glass, stone or slag that is spun into a fiber-like structure. Inorganic rock or slag are the main components (typically 98%) of stone wool. The remaining 2% organic content is generally a thermosetting resin binder (an adhesive) and a little oil.

Polyurethane insulation
    Polyurethane is an organic polymer formed by reacting a polyol (an alcohol with more than two reactive hydroxyl groups per molecule) with a diisocyanate or a polymeric isocyanate in the presence of suitable catalysts and additives.

Polyurethanes are flexible foams used in mattresses, chemical-resistant coatings, adhesives and sealants, insulation for buildings and technical applications like heat exchangers, cooling pipes and much more.

Polystyrene Insulation
    Polystyrene is an excellent insulator. It is manufactured in two ways:

Extrusion - which results in fine, closed cells, containing a mixture of air and refrigerant gas

Molded or expanded - which produces coarse, closed cells containing air

Extruded polystyrene, or XPS, is a closed-cell, thermal plastic material manufactured by a variety of extrusion processes. The main applications of extruded polystyrene insulation are in building insulation and construction in general.

Molded or expanded polystyrene is commonly called beadboard and has a lower R-value than extruded polystyrene.

Polyisocyanurate Insulation

Polyisocyanurate or polyiso is a thermosetting type of plastic, closed-cell foam that contains a low-conductivity gas (usually hydrochlorofluorocarbons or HCFC) in its cells.
    - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
    - 40" MES
    - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
    - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
    - Gander #12 Grinder
    - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
    - Gander Meat Mixer

Thanks Todd, I always wondered what the hi temp limit of foams were.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for fixing my table Rich!
      - http://www.AMAZENPRODUCTS.COM
      - 40" MES
      - Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Turkey Fryer
      - Stainless Steel BBQ Grill
      - Gander #12 Grinder
      - Cabelas 20# Stuffer
      - Gander Meat Mixer

Comment

Thanks, great info.

Comment

Hi All.
          So what is the yellow or tan stuff that looks like its been formed into the cavity at manufacture. Is this the shite that wont stand above average temps that I see Rich asking everyone about.
          I'm buggered if it is, as I remember when I trimmed my door insulation back it was hard foan stuff that I could slice and shape... So she's no good Rich for hot smoking U think..
          Cheers Spud.

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
            So she's no good Rich for hot smoking U think..
            Cheers Spud.
            She's no good, Spud... guess yer nackered. (is that correct?)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

shagged, stuffed, pooped, knack'd, knick-off, knackered ( U are right) & fornicated, all the above & each in turn and repeated if you have the energy.

Bugger should have asked this before I started. Boss Cocky was right.

Have spent what precious time I had on getting her ready.

Oh well back to drawing board...
              Looks like I wont be looking for Gas kit this trip to the states Ken...
              I'll just slip away over here and crawl into my little box.

Cheers Spud.
              Last edited by spud; 02-03-2012, 05:46 PM. Reason: not enough explanations LOL

Comment

insulation info

Hi again.
                Sitting here (Columbia) thinking of way forward and not wasting more time and money on something that just wont work.

Here is my plan, need some advice friom you experts here.
                I may depending on costs line the full inside of freezer I have with builders insulation paper and then fit heat resistant liner panels inside.

Dont know whats available local for me but the idea is pretty sound, gets me away from the bum deal insulation in the freezer and allows the further use of the thing instead of biffing it out.

How do you recognise a suitable fridge without having to tear her apart to see what insulation is installed.

So what do you experts think.

Cheers Spud

Comment

How do you recognise a suitable fridge without having to tear her apart to see what insulation is installed.
                  Great question, pondering that myself. Not sure what kind of fire panels you can get, recently there have been some builds posted using them to line the interior. I don't know what they are made of but they must be ok or the "red" light from the forum police would have went off.

I bought a warming cabinet figuring it should handle 250 degrees all day long. When I drilled through the side I found white foam board. According to Todds list, its not good, I just have to figure out if I should leave it or change it.

I am going to take a closer look to see how mine was assembled. If it was put together, you can take it apart.....then replace the insulation with something good.

I think i saw a picture somewhere of Rich standing next to a cabinet that looked like it was taken apart.

Comment

Working...
                  X