View Full Version : Masterbuilt model

AvengerSS
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi looking at getting a Masterbuilt digital smoker does any one knows the difference from the model Lowe's sells 20070511 and model 20070910

gmotoman
01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
I know Masterbuilt makes 2.
One is standard black box
One is silver with a window.

The silver also comes in 30" or 40"
http://masterbuilt.com/prod-smokers-digital-black.html
http://masterbuilt.com/prod-smokers-digital.html

SmokinOutBack
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I have the black 30 incher, the cheap one. :lol: Works like a charm. :thumb:

Doug S.
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
:welcome::banana_smiley::welcome:

AvengerSS
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
The model at Lowe's the 511 has a meat probe, the 910 on there website doesn't say anything about a probe,,, maybe the 511 is a older model, Lowe's price $149--- Amazon $179 well thanks all for the info

nickelmore
01-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Cant find it on the lowes website. Sounds like a good deal. Maybe a year end deal.

L20A
01-07-2012, 08:24 AM
I have the 30" MES with the stainless door & window. The best thing about the MES is the digital controls. The meat probe & computer & remote are awesome. Pretty much "set it & forget it". If not for those features I would not own it. The ability to add wood without opening the door is a plus as well. JMHO.

Squirrel
01-07-2012, 08:54 AM
I have the 40" with the window. I could do without the window though. I also don't use the probe. I use my own. I recently upgraded the wood chip box and like the bigger one. Be sure and do that, it's free.

Mossy
01-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I have the 40" with the window. I could do without the window though. I also don't use the probe. I use my own. I recently upgraded the wood chip box and like the bigger one. Be sure and do that, it's free.

I ended up emailing them with my model and serial #'s, with the same problem with smoke under 180 and this is what they said..

Thank you for contacting us. Please try the steps below to correct the issue. Happy holidays!

Step 1: Preheat unit to 275 degrees
Step 2: Load food and chips
Step 3: Allow unit to cycle and smoke thru chips (approximately 30-40 minutes)

Step 4: Add more chips as desired and repeat step 3

Step 5: Lower Temperature to 200-225 degrees for remainder of cooking time.

Maybe my question was too hard for them? :noidea:

MossyMO
01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
I have the 40".

You wish...:pot:

Squirrel
01-14-2012, 06:55 PM
I ended up emailing them with my model and serial #'s, with the same problem with smoke under 180 and this is what they said..

Thank you for contacting us. Please try the steps below to correct the issue. Happy holidays!

There's a thread on here that has the phone number, I tried to do a search for it, but no luck. Hopefully someone will chime in with the number. I called and gave her some info, I think model or serial number from the back of the unit. A few weeks later I got it, installed it, and love it! I'll keep looking for that phone number for you.

Squirrel
01-14-2012, 06:57 PM

There's a thread on here that has the phone number, I tried to do a search for it, but no luck. Hopefully someone will chime in with the number. I called and gave her some info, I think model or serial number from the back of the unit. A few weeks later I got it, installed it, and love it! I'll keep looking for that phone number for you.

You wish...:pot:

Heheheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Um, no, no I do not. :sausage:

Chukha-Trok
02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
I just picked up a MES at my Lowe's today, what a deal!!!

I got the 20070511 model not sure if it helps with the difference with the 20070510 model, bit the 11 has the temp probe. Also it looks like it has the retro fitted smoke box already installed as I compared to what the different boxes look like on the video in the MasterBuilt web site. BTW the number is 1.800.489.1581. you will need your model and serial number to get the free retrofit kit.

Anyway the deal I got, watched it go on clearance a few weeks ago from normal of $179 to $149, started doing research here and else where, decided to go make the buy today. Clearance further marked down to $129, then got the display model for another 10% off. Plus had a $75 in gift cards.

I bought 4 bags of chips, a heavy gauge extension cord and the MES and walked out with only putting $53 on the card.

Already broke it in with the 3 hour burn-in.

Tomorrow, experimenting time. Top to bottom

Rack 1 - Macaroni and Cheese with Gouda, Havarti and sharp Cheddar
Rack 2 - Garlic powder, whole peppercorns and Paprika
Rack 3 - Asparagus and Mushrooms
Rack 4 - Pork loins that have been brineing since late afternoon today.

Debian Dog
09-11-2012, 05:07 AM
I bought one when they first came out in 40" in 2007 and went though 2 of them.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k6RMz7b3otY/TdZ5zhf1gII/AAAAAAAAADU/iXHWqUj2EDs/s800/Smoker2007-09-02_4327.jpg

I mean Masterbuilt was nice enough and sent me another free of charge but I always seemed to have electrical issues. Also, if you ever take them apart (I have. Drilling out 40 or so rivets will open the back) the wiring is minimal. I am no electrician, but the size wires it uses has to be the bare minimum for the amount of amps it drives. Wiring connections were horrible and through continued use I had corrosion issues. This year the damn thing electrocuted me and I pitched it.

I would say I got my $200 out of it and goodness knows how many 100's of pounds of pig went though that thing but, I could not bring myself to buy another one.

My .02 cents

curious aardvark
09-11-2012, 05:44 AM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-k6RMz7b3otY/TdZ5zhf1gII/AAAAAAAAADU/iXHWqUj2EDs/s800/Smoker2007-09-02_4327.jpg

I mean Masterbuilt was nice enough and sent me another free of charge but I always seemed to have electrical issues. Also, if you ever take them apart (I have. Drilling out 40 or so rivets will open the back) the wiring is minimal. I am no electrician, but the size wires it uses has to be the bare minimum for the amount of amps it drives. Wiring connections were horrible and through continued use I had corrosion issues. This year the damn thing electrocuted me and I pitched it.

I would say I got my $200 out of it and goodness knows how many 100's of pounds of pig went though that thing but, I could not bring myself to buy another one.

My .02 cents

you know you could say that almost word for word about the original bradley smokers. Talk about junk electricals. And over here those things are bloody expensive.

So maybe we ought to have a list somewhere of quality electric smokers ?

Fishawn
09-11-2012, 08:15 AM
you know you could say that almost word for word about the original bradley smokers. Talk about junk electricals. And over here those things are bloody expensive.

So maybe we ought to have a list somewhere of quality electric smokers ?

Cookshack

The Smoke n it units look a lot (identical?) to the Cookshack units. They may be made by the same manufacturer, or from the same/similar plan? Cookshacks are made in the U S A. Or at least were.

They are excellent quality electric smokers. :thumb:

Bearcarver
09-11-2012, 08:28 AM

My .02 cents

Where did you get yours?
It seems most of the problem ones come from Sams Club.
I have an MES 30 and an MES 40 (window & remote) from Cabelas, and so far no problems, knock on wood. (tapping on my head now)

I really love my MES 40, with remote control.:thumb:

However they need the AMNS & AMNPS to get perfect smoke.

Bear

Debian Dog
09-11-2012, 10:08 AM
They actually shipped me a 30" for FREE in 2010 and I gave it to friend (as I repaired the 40") and his just died. They all come from the same place... CHINA.

I actually contacted Masterbuilt a few weeks ago when I was asking about the new 40"
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ftdZ2w9SL.jpg

but after seeing the initial review on BassPro I punted. (http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-40-Electric-Smokehouse-with-Viewing-Window/product/11090613460023/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=17kw3123388&SST=4787c9a8-779c-1d29-4a09-000013f2c9a0)

It is a good looking unit but like I said I just do not have the faith in the long term.

Bearcarver
09-11-2012, 12:50 PM
They actually shipped me a 30" for FREE in 2010 and I gave it to friend (as I repaired the 40") and his just died. They all come from the same place... CHINA.

I actually contacted Masterbuilt a few weeks ago when I was asking about the new 40"

but after seeing the initial review on BassPro I punted. (http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-40-Electric-Smokehouse-with-Viewing-Window/product/11090613460023/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&om_mmc=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=17kw3123388&SST=4787c9a8-779c-1d29-4a09-000013f2c9a0)

It is a good looking unit but like I said I just do not have the faith in the long term.

Sure they're all made in China, but rumor has it that Wally World gets their's made even cheaper, by the train load.
Old Wally could be making deals---Make some real cheap for us, and we'll buy 100,000 of them.

They even have their own model numbers.

I'm not sure of this, but I have had no problems with the ones I got from Cabelas, and so far I haven't heard of any Cabelas MES 40s with electrical problems.

Bear

Doug S.
09-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure of this, but I have had no problems with the ones I got from Cabelas, and so far I haven't heard of any Cabelas MES 40s with electrical problems.

Bear

Have not had any problems with mine :noidea:

Debian Dog
09-12-2012, 04:16 AM
Sure they're all made in China, but rumor has it that Wally World gets their's made even cheaper, by the train load.
Old Wally could be making deals---Make some real cheap for us, and we'll buy 100,000 of them.

They even have their own model numbers.

Bear

Walmart is WAY more evil than that!

http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores2.html

It is more like they know, to the penny, what you costs are and then will let companies bid for literally pennies over that cost. If you are still in business in the U.S. they will help you cost costs by getting you set up in China. They effectively put Rubbermaid out of business in the U.S. then had a company rebuild in China using the old auctioned off Rubbermaid equipment and name. If you can't cut your cost way down Wal-Mart won't deal with you. Period.

* end soapbox *

But back on topic as China builds some stuff as good or better than the U.S. can anymore. I would not doubt some of my parts on my smoker are manufactured there but Masterbuilt puts their name of it. Just like Ford. Does not matter where it was built. Walmart certainly could not have ordered without permission from Masterbuilt but I see your point.

dales133
09-12-2012, 04:56 AM
China build anything to any budget, now days they can make some top quality stuff. What realy shits me is all these big global companies that sold their work force down the toilet to manufacture cheaper in china and south east Asia in general.
It kinda pisses me off that the general consensus of the US govt is that china is anti competitive and halming the global economy, they didn't say shit when all those big brands went off shore and put millions out of work 10,15 years ago, they. Exploited china now they exploit us. Hard to take but it isn't Asia's fault, it's greedy corperations

Adsense Management by Losha