Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Random Cooks Around New Years - Tuna, Dino's, Chuck Roast, Sausage

ONE NIGHT:
    I've finally got a KCBS card just so I can shop @ Restaurant Depot. So I decided to pick up some of this Sashimi Grade Ahi Tuna, and cook it. In his Harry Soo's class, he made a dish that was . so I attempted to recreate. Here's what it's supposed to look like:
    [IMG]http://i43.***********/2useao3.jpg[/IMG]

Here's the recipe:
    SYD Signature Seared Ahi Tuna w Maui Onion Dressing (see Bobby Flay audition video below on how to prepare this dish). Always a crowd favorite and our most requested catering appetizer

Ingredients
    Sashimi Grade Tuna
    SYD All Purpose Rub
    Extra virgin olive oil

Dressing
    1/4 cup light soy sauce
    1/4 cup Japanese rice wine vinegar
    1 tbs honey
    1 tsp Japanese Shichimi pepper blend (red chili pepper you see in all Japanese restaurants; use cayenne as substitute)
    dash of pepper
    pinch of Kosher salt
    1 Tbs Japanese sesame oil
    1/2 cup finely chopped Maui onions

Garnish
    Radish sprouts
    Black sesame seeds
    White sesame seed
    Soak tuna overnight in ziploc bag drizzled with extra virgin olive oil (this secret step will tenderize the tuna). Remove tuna from bag. Dust with medium sprinkling of SYD rub. Sear on hot saucepan 60 seconds each surface. Pour dressing on serving plate. Slice tuna about pencil thick and lay in circular pattern. Garnish with radish sprouts and sesame seeds.I dont have pics of the finished product. It looked great, but apparently using 1 TBS

Here's what I picked up

I don't have any pics of how it turned out....BECAUSE....as directions show "1 tsp Japanese Shichimi pepper blend (red chili pepper you see in all Japanese restaurants; use cayenne as substitute)", I couldn't find any Shichimi Pepper Blend, so I went w/ what I thought was 1 tsp of Cayenne. Anyhow...i think after a few Pendleton & waters, I grabbed a TBS of cayenne and threw it in the mix. Burned me up! I'm going to make it again tonight..so wish me luck. I hope to come back w/ a pic of mine that doesn't have me chewing tums from the burn. It was too hot for me and my wife to eat.

ANOTHER NIGHT:
    Leftover Tri-tip cut up into pieces for a Quesadilla

ANOTHER DAY
    The friday before New Years, we pulled out an old blue Weber Kettle and decided to have a little work potluck. Here's my quick contribution

Wrapped in Bacon

ANOTHER NIGHT
    Dino Bones! <$10. I knew it wouldn't result in much meat, but damn they can be good. UDS w/ Apple/Hickory

W/ a Plowboys Bovine Bold facelift

These things are great, but again, a lot of effort for a snackable amount of finished meat.

ANOTHER NIGHT
    Found a nicely marbled chuck at Fry's. Lookin to make a pulled chuckie. UDS w/ Applory errr Hickpple

This one got Willinghams Original, and Mad Hunked

Overnighted

Foiled

Sliced up

Chimis to be made soon.

Looks Awesome TD! Never sliced a chuckie b4. Gotta try that. Nicely done!n
    sigpic

Comment

Looks good! Tat chuckie almost looks like brisket. The a tuna.. with the extra Cayenne, send it on over here - be just right!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

OMG !!!
        I already gave you the points, to make sure I had them to give!!!! --->>

That is an awful lot of Great looking eats there, TD !!!

Especially those Dinos!!! I am such a sucker for some Great looking Dinos, and those you got are right up there with the best ever!!!!

Everything looks Great, but those Dinos shouldn't even be legal!!!!

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I am going to have to make some of those beef ribs. Those look great!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Wow TD! fer sure brutha! You did some mighty fine cooking. It all looks amazing (as always!)

Comment

Get up in the high groove! Man...Let's eat! Uhh...Natty me!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice TD!! Definitely earning yourself some !
                Don

Humphrey's Pint
                Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                Anova One Sous Vide
                AMPS
                Purple Thermapen
                Maverick ET-733
                DigIQ DX2
                Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Great post man, looks like you had a great Holiday.
                  Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

RE-LOADED....................
                    sigpic

Comment

great selection of foodstuffs - and, yep out of points :-(
                      But definitely worthy
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Damn TD, that's an awesome display of foodage!! for damn sure!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

AWSOME LOOKING TREATS RIGHT THERE TD!!!
                          I just put a post in the beef section looking for some tips on beef ribs.. would love to get a couple of pointer's from ya if you don't mind, I've seasoned them and they are in the fridge now... just looking for some times and temps, for cooking and smoking...
                          anything you can let me know would be great.. cause dem dar ribs look dang great!!!
                          www.facebook.com/butchcolquhoun _____________________________________________

sigpic

Comment

No prob. What kinda rub did you use?

I went w/ a modified 3-2-1.

I smoked until the rub was no longer coming off the ribs if I lightly scratched them. Then foiled for a good 1.5 hours w/ some beef stock, and other stuff. Then untented the foil, and let the bark firm up again on the smoker for awhile.

Send me a PM w/ any more questions. Good luck & take pics

Comment

That's some serious chow! definitely worthy
                              sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Working...
                              X