Any Yoder YS480 owners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Yoder YS480 owners out there?

Hey gang. I gonna be ordering my Yoder pellet grill in about 2 months. I am leaning towards the YS640, but I am still researching the YS480. Any owners out there want to chime in on their likes/dislikes, wish it had this, this could be betters.

I guess owners of both sized units could chime in... I would like to know pellet usage too as well as real user experience.

Thanks folks.
    Mark

Homemade 22 year old "Pro-smoker"
    Yoder YS640
    Smoke daddy
    100% Lumberjack pellets

Well welcome to the club! soon at least!!. I have a 640 and from talking to Don the only difference is the square inches of cooking space. I have had mine for about a month and LOVE IT!! It has put out some of the best food I have ever cooked. I have not Direct grilled with it yet as I had some gas I needed to burn off first. In cooler weather it is going to use more pellets. I did cook Christmas Eve and had it fired up for 15.5 hours and went through about 22 lbs of pellets. but it was 34* out and I was running at 225 for most of the cook. In my mind the second shelf is a MUST it makes it so much more useable.

Only dislike is cleaning out.....but who like to clean? Not hard but the grates are heavy and heat plate is heavy... not a problem for me but if you are a smaller person then that could be an issue but since you are from Iowa you should be fine!!!

Wingman has put out some great items from the 640 as well. please visit his site at

http://www.smokingpit.com/default.htm

He has a video review of the 640 if you have not seen it. Send me a PM if you have other questions
    you do not want to ask in the link and I would be happy to give phone # and you can talk to me about it if you like.

In my mind you are heading down the right path.

Here are the links to a few of my cooks.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19133

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19225

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19238
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Hopefully Wingman will chime in here. He knows allllll about them.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I already subscribe to Rob's web site. In fact, it pushed me over the fence towards the Yoder after seeing his video on how the are made. But, he doesn't have ANY info on the YS480, and it's hard to find any information at all.
        It is only 3 people in my home, but we do have up to 4 guests at times. So, kinda wondering if the 640 is gonna be over kill or not. Also wondering about pellet usage too, how much less pellets the 480 runs.
        Mark

Yoder YS640
        Smoke daddy
        100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Then i would contact Don at ATBBQ. He will give you the info that you need. Sorry I could not help more.
          Brian

Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Chime! 480 gets hotter. YS640 has an adjustable damper and from my opinion with the second shelf you get more for your $'s but it really comes down to money and are you really going to use the extra cooking area.
            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
            Yoder Wichita
            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I hope my wife and I can provide more info after next weekend...
              --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
              www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                I did cook Christmas Eve and had it fired up for 15.5 hours and went through about 22 lbs of pellets. but it was 34* out and I was running at 225 for most of the cook. In my mind the second shelf is a MUST it makes it so much more useable.
                Heck, that isn't bad for that size of grill at 34*...just under 1.5 lbs per hour.Thanks B O B

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
                Chime! 480 gets hotter. YS640 has an adjustable damper and from my opinion with the second shelf you get more for your $'s but it really comes down to money and are you really going to use the extra cooking area.
                Rob, any info on pellet usage? I know it doesn't get bone chillin' cold where your at, but here in Iowa we usually get a 2 week spell every winter in the single digits or below.
                Hey, by the way, I'm the guy that sent you the recipe for "Whiskey Cake", did you ever try it?

Anyone else out there with some user experience?
                Mark

Yoder YS640
                Smoke daddy
                100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                  I hope my wife and I can provide more info after next weekend...
                  Cheers to you!
                  Mark

Yoder YS640
                  Smoke daddy
                  100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

I got the 640 and it's usually just my wife & I, but it's nice to have that extra room for larger cooks. I had some issues and was ready to send it back but Don sent out needed updates & so far so good. Controller set point and pit temp are now very close. I use a Maverick et732 to monitor temps. The heat diffuser that came with it was a major pita to pull out. They sent a new smaller one with the update kit so it's now easier to pull. Before the update it devoured pellets, now I am pretty pleased. You will use more with a 640 due to it's larger size but it really comes down to ambient conditions. I have used it in the 10-20 degree range and it works just fine. Supposed to finally get cold here in the next week so we will see how it operates in the single digits. I think one thing I would get is the grill grates. Remove the diffuser plate and grill over the fire. Will be ordering mine soon. I have the cover and it fits like a glove and very durable, best I have ever seen. Good luck with which ever one you get. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselr88 View Post
                      I think one thing I would get is the grill grates. Remove the diffuser plate and grill over the fire. Will be ordering mine soon. I have the cover and it fits like a glove and very durable, best I have ever seen. Good luck with which ever one you get. You won't be disappointed.
                      Thank you for your reply. The one thing I know I WON"T be getting is the grill grates system. I talked with Don a few months ago, just to be sure that I could get what I want. I am actually going to have them custom make all of the grates out of expanded 304 stainless steel. The grill looks like it will last quite a few years, and I want the racks to last even longer.
                      I was wondering if the cover was heavy built or not...thanks for that info.
                      Mark

Yoder YS640
                      Smoke daddy
                      100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

The cover is a canvass type material. Is it the heaviest material probably not but does it keep it dry yes. Fits nicely around all items. I will try to get a photo tonight have to run to work.

Brian
                        Brian

Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis
                        Weber 18.5" Kettle
                        Weber Performer
                        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                          The cover is a canvass type material. Is it the heaviest material probably not but does it keep it dry yes. Fits nicely around all items. I will try to get a photo tonight have to run to work.

Brian
                          Thank you Brian. Is the cover worth the $123? ...or maybe just get a nice tarp to cover it up?
                          Mark

Yoder YS640
                          Smoke daddy
                          100% Lumberjack pellets

Comment

Sorry i did not get pics tonight...mad snow when I came home and I ran inside...Will get some this weekend.
                            Is it worth $123? that might be a bit high....but I I knew the Mrs. would not just let me toss a tarp over top of it if you know what I mean..she likes things matching...anyway...It does fit nice and keeps it nice...I figures what is a nother 100 bones when you are making the investment. I will keep you posted
                            Brian

Yoder YS640
                            Weber Genesis
                            Weber 18.5" Kettle
                            Weber Performer
                            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gwapogorilla View Post
                              I already subscribe to Rob's web site. In fact, it pushed me over the fence towards the Yoder after seeing his video on how the are made. But, he doesn't have ANY info on the YS480, and it's hard to find any information at all.
                              It is only 3 people in my home, but we do have up to 4 guests at times. So, kinda wondering if the 640 is gonna be over kill or not. Also wondering about pellet usage too, how much less pellets the 480 runs.
                              While I do not own a Yoder, I can say with authority, that you will never complain about having too much grill space. I would venture to guess that the extra you may burn in pellets will be cheaper in the long run, than buying another unit. Just my pair of Lincolns.
                              Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Working...
                              X