Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I do with this 42 inch Northern ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do with this 42 inch Northern ?

Been telling the boy that I wanted some fish so I can try smoking some. I was thinking some bass or blue gills.

This is a picture of what he is bringing home tonight. Caught outside of Janesville WI

So the question is what would be the best way to smoke a northern? Or should I do something different?
    Attached Files

Uhh.. Can't see...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
      Uhh.. Can't see...
      Not much meat on that thing is there?

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
      Paul

Comment

Poor Man's Lobster
        Chunk up in bite size pieces, boil in Sprite, when they float they are done. To serve dip in butter like you would lobster. Besides the price, can you tell the difference...
        This is a simple no fail recipe, I highly suggest trying it!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

I'd at least take some of it and go the homemade pickled pike route. Check Erains post on that. Did it myself a few months back and yeah, it's good stuff

Heard about the Sprite things before. Mossy says ya can't go wrong, and at 42", theres enough meat on that to do a few different things
          https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Dang nice Northern. Got some family in Edgerton. Could that have possibly come out of Lake Koshkonong?
            Rudy

sigpic
            GOSM Big Block
            SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
            22.5" Weber Kettle
            Smokey Joe for the RV
            Assorted Digital Thermos
            and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Nice looking fish. Jeez. It's a biggun. So, does your boy by chance work for UPS?

Comment

You won't like it. Too many bones. Send it to me. Lol.

Don't smoke it. Not the right kind of fish. Too big for pickling too. Bones won't dissolve. You could use the tail sections.

Mossy's poor man's lobster is good stuff. Or treat it like cod. My mother was Swedish and she'd bake Torsk drowning in butter. Sort of a poor man's lobster. But she'd do the same thing with the big northerns.

I like to fry it in butter, sprinkled with garlic Mrs. Dash. No breading. Once it's cooked pluck the Y bones out and dig in.

Oh, almost forgot. Nice fish!
                S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                New Braunfels Bandera
                UniFlame Gas Grill
                Lil Chief

Comment

I think if I caught him up here, I'd have him mounted! Tempura batter works well with northern also. There is enough there, you could do a few different things.
                  sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Thanks all, E's pickled recipe was the first thing that came to mind. Wanted to try it a few years ago but the fish never came around.

Got some family in Edgerton. Could that have possibly come out of Lake Koshkonong?
                    Yes it did, this kid has fished that lake for a little over 25 years.

Comment

I would smoke half of it & fry up the other half. If the filets are thicker than 1" you can butterfly them in half. They will then smoke up just fine. Leave the skin on and put foil under the butterflied pieces, if you did that. The skin keeps the moisture in as will the foil. I just salt the fish fairly heavily & smoke it. Nothing more needed as the fish is excellent by itself. JMHO. I run my fish at 190* or so until it just firms up. Don't use a strong wood. I use maple or pecan or apple mixed with some oak. Good luck.
                      MES 30"
                      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                      Weber 22" kettle
                      E-Z-Que rotisserie
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Big Weber Gasser
                      Cracker Smoker
                      UDS

Comment

They make awesome wall mounts, just sayin
                        sigpic

Comment

I just had boiled northern for supper tonight except we don't to the Sprite thing like Mossy we boil them in water with spices and a few bay leafs. They also turn out really good in the microwave with some butter and onions. Also I love to make pickled norther out of them. I agree I don't really like smoking them but my dad does it all the time and he loves them that way.
                          Propane Smoke Shack
                          UDS
                          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                          sigpic

Comment

2 words: Beer Batter.
                            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

filet into large piece.

In a large pot bring water to a roaring boil with two large tomatoes a large onion and several habenero peppers. let boil for 45 minutes, turn off add room tempature butter 1/2 pound and fish filets let poach in water about 5 minutes are untill filets are done. remove filets and then remove peppers to a bowl. depending on your like for heat, I normal smash the peppers in the bowl and then remove them. then skim the butter off the water and put into the bowl with the peppers you can leave them there are remove. the ones I use are normally very hot and all I need for heat is the juice,
                              I will put a large filet over a bed of white rice then laddle some butter sauce over the fish and rice, and eat with a fresh garden salad and an ice cold beer.
                              of course a little black pepper and salt on top will work.
                              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Working...
                              X