My fridge build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My fridge build

I have been working on this since last week pretty steadily. I removed all guts and have replaced all the plastic pieces with steel. My PID just arrived yesterday and I am still waiting on the element, ssr, and thermocouple. I really hope to have this thing fired up and seasoning by sunday afternoon. I will update with some more pics as I progress.
    Attached Files
    Can someone grab me a beer, I am busy watching the smoker!

What brand/kind of PID did you end up going with?
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Comment

A cheap one off of ebay. Myplin or something like that. They all work about the same, they use the same calculations so it should be ok.

Comment

Nice, what are you using for gasket material around the door?

Comment

5/8 stove rope, I was going to put it on last weekend but it needs to go over the screws that hold the inside to the outside. Since I didn't have the element yet and need to install it, I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to need to remove the inside liner before I spent $25 dollars on gasket material for nothing.

Wait, I could put it on the door, around the top of my metal that holes the inside door pan to the outside door skin. oh well, looks like I have something to do tonight.

Comment

Heres the smoke generator I made for it. 3"X3" tubing, 1" black pipe and some expanded metal grate for the chips and she's a smoking.
            Attached Files

Comment

What kind of heat source are you going with?
              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

1500 watt Brinkman replacement. This thing has a ton of insulation in it so it should maintain heat pretty well.

Comment

What did you go with for your air intake and exhaust? I am also building a fridge smoker and I still have not decided what I want to do about the exhaust and air intakes.
                  Propane Smoke Shack
                  UDS
                  sigpic

Comment

I won't have an intake since there is no combustion going on inside the unit other than the air being moved in from the smoke generator. I went with a 3" exhaust. I went to menards and bought a 3' piece of 3" gas appliance vent and a rain cap. I am going to install a 3" blast gate so I can tone it down a notch if it vent too quickly.

Comment

Not sure, but with no air intake, you might pull too much air thru your smoke generator, making it deplete / burn up too quick.
                      Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

I used a Brinkmann in my freezer conversion, it's been going strong for going on 5 years now. I've always thought I should have a spare on hand in case it craps out in the middle of a smoke, even though my Ace hardware has them readily avail. One caveat on the vent, I went with a 4 inch on mine (had a 6on my previous build) thinking it would help hold heat better, which it does. The down side of it though, is that if I am doing something with a lot of moisture that need removed, jerky for example, it takes forever to get it out. In retrospect I wish I would have gone with a 6 and a better damper system, instead of just the pie pan damper. Then I would have the best of both.
                        sigpic

Comment

Aight get after it! Uhh...Needz a better pic of that smoke gen! Dis Ol' Cat Daddy put his readin glasses on...thought I was blind!...Nooo...I ain't jacked into the Nattys!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Yea I'm not sure about the no air intake idea.
                            Propane Smoke Shack
                            UDS
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't have an intake as such on mine, and haven't found it to be a problem so far (going on five years). I think I have enough leaks, and with what gets drawn in from my smoke generator and its leaks I don't see a problem. No stale smoke, fairly even temps throughout, overall reasonably good air movement. However, if your smoker is real tight, I can see some potential problems.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X