Strawberry-Vanilla Dutch Oven Cobbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry-Vanilla Dutch Oven Cobbler

My youngest son and I weren't doing much today, so I decided to try something based on an idea i read about in the downloadable recipe "book" from the website of the maker of my cast-iron Dutch oven:

http://www.campchef.com/index.php?di...chment_id=1419

I'm trying a spin on their "cobbler" recipe, which uses canned cherry pie filling, yellow cake mix and lemon-lime pop. :for my version i decided to try strawberries and a vanilla cake mix:

Pretty easy stuff - first, i melted and brushed a little butter around the inside of the Dutch oven over medium heat:

Then, after the butter finished melting, ?I spread out the cans of strawberries in the bottom of the Dutch oven:

Sprinkled out the cake mix, trying to get it evenly distributed:

Then, I measued out 12 ounces (1 can's worth) of the pop and gently added it all around on top of the cake mix.

The recipe calls for baking the cobbler in two stages, with coals on top during both stages, but heat on the bottom only during the first. I tried putting the Dutch oven in a pre-heated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. It didn't quit appear "done" after this, so I set the broiler (heat from the top only) to 400 degrees for 15 minutes. This seemed to do the trick, but it is possible that it was in the oven too long. Here's how it looked:

Not quite perfect, but since i was making about 85% of it up as I went along, I'd say not too bad.

It's cooling now - I plan on serving it at the end of a late lunch (some sort of hybrid shrimp and scallop scampi) when the beautiful Mrs. Tas gets home from work.

More later!
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 01-14-2012, 01:30 PM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Oh man it sure looks good to me!
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

Comment

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Originally posted by TasunkaWitko View Post
      Not quite perfect, but since i was making about 85% of it up as I went along, I'd say not too bad.
      He who improvises best, wins.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Scoop of cobbler scoop of Ice cream, scoop of Cobbler scoop of ice cream...and repeat!! yummy!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
          He who improvises best, wins.

Dave
          Isn't that the truth.

Looks great to me. Kind of a strawberry shortcake? Pass a plate this way. I'd eat it. Lol.
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Re:

Fine choice to take your youngest and show him the lore of Dutch Oven
            Cooking. I'd say from the looks of your desert he'll be wanting to do it again
            real soon.

Maybe you could get him cooking one while you take some pictures of him
            and get some other youngsters interested in learning.

Who knows, we may even get a "Youth Chapter" of Smoked-Meat organized.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
              Fine choice to take your youngest and show him the lore of Dutch Oven
              Cooking. I'd say from the looks of your desert he'll be wanting to do it again
              real soon.

Maybe you could get him cooking one while you take some pictures of him
              and get some other youngsters interested in learning.

Who knows, we may even get a "Youth Chapter" of Smoked-Meat organized.
              That's a great idea. When I first read this it reminded of cooking with my nephew this past summer. He's 16 and in Boy Scouts. Practically begged me to bring my dutch oven to their cabin this last summer. Kinda had to after all that whining. Lol.

I let him do it on his own and only added my .02 when asked. And made sure he didn't burn himself up in the process. He's a natural. The best meals were the bear stew and the breakfast quiche kinda thing. Every thing but the kitchen sink in it. We didn't have enough of any one thing to make breakfast, except eggs, so we just kept throwing stuff in. Funny as hell, but turned out great.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Looks good already, but I'm putting my mark on it, so it doesn't slip by me when it's completed!!
                I hate when that happens!!!

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

forgot to post results on this project - it turned out pretty well!

great tastes involved here, and the preparation is easy as can be:

since this one, i've made it with yellow cake and have tried cherriies, blueberries - the possibilities are endless. next time, i might try black cherries and devil's food chocolate!
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Love the sounds of this! Thanks for sharing!
                    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                    Weber Smokey Joe
                    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                    Pink Thermapen
                    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Looks Great Ron!!!!

Bears love this stuff, when the Park Ranger isn't looking!!!

Thought you snuck it by me, eh?!?!

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

thanks guys!

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                        Looks Great Ron!!!!

Bears love this stuff, when the Park Ranger isn't looking!!!

Thought you snuck it by me, eh?!?!

Bear
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

That cobbler looks great
                          Andy
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X