Smoking Tips for Traeger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoking Tips for Traeger

My wife and I purchased a Traeger Texas grill for Christmas. If you can, buy them at Costco on a promotion and save hundreds. My wife wants to return it because the food does not taste smoky enough (compared to my Big Green Egg). We were hoping she could use this grill since the BGE can be more labor intensive.

I had readjusted the smokestack screw and set the cap far down. I adjusted it during cooking to get the most smoke on the smoke setting. There was a smoke ring to the pork butts and the ribs, the meat was flavorful, and moist, but it was more so (smokier taste as well) from the BGE (I did a head to head cook). To make sure it was not just us we gave pulled pork to neighbors, with one bag labelled "T"; the only instruction to state their preference (they were not told what the ""T" meant). This family also preferred the unlabeled (BGE pork) bag to the Traeger.

What am I doing wrong? These grills are expensive and I was hoping for results equal to or superior to my BGE.

What type of pellet were you using? there can be a big difference in the smoke flavor with the pellets you use.
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

You din't join here sooner.... ;{)

I ain't no pooper... but there's a few here. Hang in, and welcome to Smoked-Meat
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I used applewood. I smoked several racks of ribs earlier with hickory, and they seemed to be smokier. I did two pork butts as well, but they were not very smoky. I used applewood for the head to head cook on both smokers.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddinhead View Post
          I used applewood. I smoked several racks of ribs earlier with hickory, and they seemed to be smokier. I did two pork butts as well, but they were not very smoky. I used applewood for the head to head cook on both smokers.
          There is it. I assume you are using Traeger pellets...From what I understand those are 60% Alder and 40% Apple wood. Apple as a mild smoke flavor. If you can find some 100% hickory pellets and give that a try. i think you will be much happier with the results. there are more expensive but they do pack a punch.

If you want to use a combo look for the oak and flavor wood. Apple, peach, pecan woods are mild in the pellet world. I am finding combos of Hickory and cherry are pretty good.

The Alder wood just does not have the flavor you are looking for IMHO.

Good luck
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I have a Primo XL and a Traeger. I don't care what pellets you use you're not going to get the same flavor. It's pellets vs. wood chunks. With that said, I do like cooking certain things on my Traeger like large pieces of meat that take a while to cook. Say a Prime Rib for example. I have also baked bread on it. Perfect hint of smoke. I do kinda consider it a glorified outdoor oven with benefits. I love it at the holidays even if all I'm using it for is to keep things warm or cook my stuffing or bread in. I don't have any regrets, it has it's place amongst my smokers.

I also have a MES 40". I love doing ribs on it. Since I upgraded the wood chip box I'm getting much more smoke flavor. If you do take the Traeger back you might want to consider one of these for her. Good luck!!

I do agree with Bark's comment, you need to try the hickory pellets. Also, what temps have you been cooking at?

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
              There is it. I assume you are using Traeger pellets...From what I understand those are 60% Alder and 40% Apple wood. Apple as a mild smoke flavor. If you can find some 100% hickory pellets and give that a try. i think you will be much happier with the results. there are more expensive but they do pack a punch.

If you want to use a combo look for the oak and flavor wood. Apple, peach, pecan woods are mild in the pellet world. I am finding combos of Hickory and cherry are pretty good.

The Alder wood just does not have the flavor you are looking for IMHO.

Good luck
              NO guarantee, but http://www.barbecuewood.com/-strse-B...Categories.bok claim to be 100% hickory or pecan or apple ect. I ordered a 20# bag of pecan shipped for $25. So far I like them.
              Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

Comment

Thank you. I had read once that Traeger pellets may not be 100% the wood on the package label. I will try ordering the 100% wood pellets and use the stronger Traeger woods until they arrive. Is mesquite OK or too strong? Thanks to my BGE cousin Squirrel for his input

Comment

This post has good info as far as quality of and contents in a Traeger pellet - http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...raeger-pellets
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Puddinhead View Post
                    Thank you. I had read once that Traeger pellets may not be 100% the wood on the package label. I will try ordering the 100% wood pellets and use the stronger Traeger woods until they arrive. Is mesquite OK or too strong? Thanks to my BGE cousin Squirrel for his input
                    Post #8 in the following thread

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19385

has an excellent explanation of the differences in pellets.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Found this on Smokingmeatforums.com posted 01/12/2012.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...raeger-pellets

"I thought I would share what I recently learned about Traeger pellets. After getting my AMNPS I looked to find pellets in my local area. I wanted 100% flavor wood. Went to my local hardware store and was told the Traegar pellets were 100% of what they say on the bag, if they said apple they were 100% apple and so on. Got four 20lb bags of different flavors for $12.99 each and was out the door. A few weeks later from scanning the web I learned that no one it seemed was really sure what the make up of the Traegar pellets was! Some said they were 100% alder or oak with flavor oils, some said a mix, and on and on. I was told that if you call Traeger and ask they will tell you they don't know or if you send a email inquiring whats in the pellets then they reply that it is proprietary information. I live in Oregon about 15 minutes from Traeger offices so called them to get it straight from the horses mouth. Talked to a very nice rep Lisa. She did not know what the make up of the pellets was, and said that info only the pellet mill knows. hit.gif After some back and forth she said she would try and get me some info and took my #. I would have bet anyone 100 bucks that I never would hear back from her but today she called me and said she got a note from the mill with a breakdown of whats in the pellets.

The base wood if you are on the west coast is alder and the east coast is oak.

Mesquite or Hickory 100% base wood (alder or oak) with flavor oils no actual Mesquite or Hickory wood in the pellet.

Apple, Pecan or Cherry 70% base wood 30% Apple, Pecan or Cherry wood

Maple 100% Maple wood

Alder on the west coast is 100% Alder on east coast 70% oak 30% Alder

Oak on the east coast is 100% Oak on the west coast 70% Alder 30% Oak

So no more Traegar pellets for me. If your only use for pellets is a AMNPS your best bet is 100% flavor wood. Todd is the only person I found who sells a variety of 100% Flavor wood pellets. They are a little expensive with shipping but you get what you pay for and he only sells quality stuff. He currently gives you a sample of Oak pellets with your order of the AMNPS but I would suggest he change the sample to something like Hickory since so many pellets are Oak based so then people could really taste the difference of his pellets compared to others.

If I was using pellets for a pellet smoker instead of a AMNPS then I would get a Oak based blend with 30% flavor wood for more consistent heat output. The ones I see with the best reviews are BBQr's Delight

Since my only use for pellets is my AMNPS after all the research I went with a 100% flavor wood blend. Hickory, Cherry, Hard Maple and Apple from Cookingpellets.com called Perfect Mix. Was $54.00 including shipping for 40lbs. They also carry the AMNPS on their site and I believe Todd sells their Perfect mix pellets in smaller sizes on his."

Comment

I used Traeger pellets when I first got mine, and I'll never buy them again. I order mine online now and the flavor is MUCH better than the Traeger pellets. I recommend a switch. That being said, you will get more smoke flavor with a BGE, however, you also run more of a risk of oversmoking than you ever will with the Traeger. Good luck!
                        Don

Humphrey's Pint
                        Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                        Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                        Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                        Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                        Anova One Sous Vide
                        AMPS
                        Purple Thermapen
                        Maverick ET-733
                        DigIQ DX2
                        Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

I have a Traeger Texas 075 I bought when they were still made in Oregon and am not happy with Traeger pellets. I've been doing a lot of research and the brand I'll be getting from now on is BBQrs Delight. This place charges no shipping for orders over $40 within the continental USofA which is a great deal. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...s-charcoal/oak

Comment

As was mention before a pellet smoker producer a light cleaner smoke than you will get from charcoal or wood burners.

I have added the Smoke Daddy for when I want increased flavor.

I have since moved the outlet under the drip pan for more smoke dispersal.

I also use the A-MAZ-Smoker sometimes.

What I like about the Smoke Daddy and the A-MAZ-Smoker is I can use cherry or apple in those while feeding BBQr;s Delight Hickory or Oak.

Also, both are great for Cold Smoking
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X