Mods on my Brinkmann Offset Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods on my Brinkmann Offset Smoker

I've had this old Brinkmann smoker in my back yard for at least 20 years. It was never used for anything other than grilling.

I recently decided it was time to use that old smoker the way it was intended to be used. My first smoke was a beer can chicken.

It was by far the best chicken I had ever eaten and I was hooked on smoking meat. I had a terrible time maintaining temperature and it was obvious that my old smoker needed some work to make it more efficient, and easier to use. While researching I discovered this forum and found many ideas to improve my smoker.

As I said, this smoker is at least 20 years old and very well made. The lids fit tight and don't leak. It is made out of 1/4" material and is very heavy. The first thing I did was to replace the old 4" steel wheels with 8" rubber wheels.

This made a big difference, however it is so heavy it is still very difficult to move around. The next mod I will do is add wheels to the other two legs.

Next was to work on the heat control. I added this elbow to the stack to move it closer to grill level. It comes down to about 1" above the grill.

I also lined the bottom with fireplace bricks, and those heat retaining briquette things.

I don't know how well this will work, but for the tuning plates I used some old ceramic tile I had left over from a kitchen remodel. I just cut it to the size I needed with the ceramic tile saw I bought for the remodel. Each piece is 4" wide x 13" long. Before I smoke meat I will cover each piece with aluminum foil.

I have no doubt that steel plates would work much better, but I had this on hand and thought it was worth a try. When I burned it in I had about a 15 degree difference from the firebox side to the smokestack side. For my first smoke (tomorrow) I will place a water pan on the firebox side. We'll see if that helps at all.

When I smoked the beer can chicken, I used charcoal. As I said, I had a terrible time maintaining temperature for many reasons. I decided it would be a little easier if I could use propane rather than charcoal. I discovered the Afterburner - H at www.gassmoke.com. This makes it very easy to convert a charcoal smoker to propane. It's not a permanent conversion and can be taken out easily when I want to use charcoal.

It seems to be very well made and worked quite well when I burned it in. I did have to cut the expanded steel around one corner in order to get it into the firebox. I still need to do some work to the butterfly on the intank of the fire box to keep it adjustable.

Notice the cutout on the right side of the burner. This is to accomodate a 46 ounce juice can which holds the wood for smoke. I put one large chunk of wood in the can with foil covering the open end. I punched a few holes in the foil and it produced smoke for about an hour.

The last mod I've made so far is to add temperature guages to the lid at grill level.

I know two would have been sufficient, but I added three. Is there such a thing as too much information?

Future mods, in addition to two more wheels, will be to add a temperature probe grommet to the front of the smoker below the lid. I also already have the expanded steel to make a charcoal basket for the firebox. I'm sure I'll prefer to use charcoal as opposed to propane when the weather gets warmer. Then maybe I can find time to get some of the rust off of that poor old smoker and make it happy with some fresh paint.

I'll be testing the mods with a slab of ribs tomorrow.

Get you some Winfield Viking blue (I only know this cuz I grew up in Derby) high temp paint and give her a nice shiny outside and it'll be looking great! Nice work so far on the mods, although I'd way prefer coal to propane! I think you'd get a better smoke if you kept it coal. Maybe some new air intakes or something to better regulate the temp????
    Don

Humphrey's Pint
    Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
    Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
    Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
    Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
    Anova One Sous Vide
    AMPS
    Purple Thermapen
    Maverick ET-733
    DigIQ DX2
    Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Looks good.

I have the Afterburner for my SnP too. Don't block too much of the cook chamber with tuning plates or the Afterburner won't have enough airflow to keep the flame lit. Also keep the intake pretty much open when using the Afterburner. I had a problem with mine snuffing out when I had too many tuning plates in and not enough airflow.

A charcoal basket helps immensely when you're trying to fire it with charcoal.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Great resurrection of a quality smoker you have done and nice work on the mods, very well done!
        --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
          Get you some Winfield Viking blue (I only know this cuz I grew up in Derby) high temp paint and give her a nice shiny outside and it'll be looking great! Nice work so far on the mods, although I'd way prefer coal to propane! I think you'd get a better smoke if you kept it coal. Maybe some new air intakes or something to better regulate the temp????
          Yeah, I go through Derby pretty often. I spend a lot of time in Lowes, lol.

I agree about preferring charcoal to propane, but I just finished my first smoke after the mods, and it was amazingly less difficult to control the heat today. I don't know whether it was the propane control, the mods, or a combination. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling keeping my smoker at about 225 degrees for six hours, with an average outside temperature of 50 degrees probably cost less money with propane than it would have with charcoal. I'm keeping track of how many hours I get with a tank of propane. Hopefully I will have a better idea after a few more smokes. I'm anxious to try charcoal again to see how well I can control the temperature since making the mods.

Here is my iGrill with the top probe on the firebox side, and the bottom probe on the smokestack side.

It only took a few adjustments of the propane regulator to get the temperature where I wanted it. I was surprised at how much a slight adjustment of the tuning plates affected the temp from one side to the other. I also discovered the tuning plates required different adjusment when the smoke can was in the firebox than when it was out of the firebox.

Here is the finished product. Baby back ribs, and man were they good!

Comment

Originally posted by Viking_Sun View Post
            I agree about preferring charcoal to propane, but I just finished my first smoke after the mods, and it was amazingly less difficult to control the heat today.
            If it wasn't for the Afterburner, I probably would have given up on smoking back in 2008.

Ribs look great.

Dave
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Working...
            X