DO Chicken with Potatoes & Carrots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO Chicken with Potatoes & Carrots

Had a chicken I needed to do something with. As I was getting it from the freezer, I spied my 14" DO. With all the latest posts about Cast Iron , I decided to use it ...
    Attached Files

A pot of goodness! Think I need to break the DO out...
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

looks great!!! i hope it tasted as good as it looks.
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Sure looks wonderful. I have never cooked on DO but it sure looks like it would be fun and very tasty.
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
        sigpic

Comment

Looks fantastic, Tim!!
          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
          Weber Smokey Joe
          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
          Pink Thermapen
          Purple Thermapen

Comment

A spur of the moment decision ... the wind and cold called for more briquets and a little longer time. The chicken fell apart removing it, so the veggies could cook a bit longer. Next time I will plan ahead and brine the chicken. This one was just salt & pepper. Also, couldn't find my trivet, so I used the carrots as a trivet so the bird wouldn't burn on the bottom. In all, the meal was great, just forgot how challanging it would be with the weather. I figured about 2 hours, ended up at 2 1/2 hours.

Comment

Re:

Cajun_1 wrote:

With all the latest posts about Cast Iron , I decided to use it ...

It's my understanding that when William Rogers Clark and Meriweather Lewis returned from the Louisiana Purchase Expedition Thomas Jefferson had commissioned, Jefferson and others were eager to see what they had found in terms of resources in that area. In those discussions someone asked what was the most valuable thing they took out there with them aside from the firearms etc. The answer was the Dutch Ovens. I believe the source on that comes from Stephen Ambrose book "Undaunted Courage" which was about the Louis & Clark Expedition.

And by the way, that's some fine looking grub there ! I'm sure it was good.

I was asked during the holidays by a friend who is a Gun Smith to bring my DO's and join in some of the Civil War Reenactments as a cook. He tells me he can't bear watching the guys sitting around the camps eating burgers from McDonalds or Pizza from Little Caesar's while the public walks
              around with their kids. It's just not authentic so they are always looking
              for cooks who have their own iron.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                Cajun_1 wrote:

It's my understanding that when William Rogers Clark and Meriweather Lewis returned from the Louisiana Purchase Expedition Thomas Jefferson had commissioned, Jefferson and others were eager to see what they had found in terms of resources in that area. In those discussions someone asked what was the most valuable thing they took out there with them aside from the firearms etc. The answer was the Dutch Ovens. I believe the source on that comes from Stephen Ambrose book "Undaunted Courage" which was about the Louis & Clark Expedition.

And by the way, that's some fine looking grub there ! I'm sure it was good.

I was asked during the holidays by a friend who is a Gun Smith to bring my DO's and join in some of the Civil War Reenactments as a cook. He tells me he can't bear watching the guys sitting around the camps eating burgers from McDonalds or Pizza from Little Caesar's while the public walks
                around with their kids. It's just not authentic so they are always looking

Great words ...

Funny though ... the 14" happens to be a Camp Chef Lewis & Clark

Comment

Originally posted by cajun_1 View Post
                  With all the latest posts about Cast Iron , I decided to use it ...
                  I'm loving all the DO post lately!

Originally posted by eDJ View Post
                  I was asked during the holidays by a friend who is a Gun Smith to bring my DO's and join in some of the Civil War Reenactments as a cook. He tells me he can't bear watching the guys sitting around the camps eating burgers from McDonalds or Pizza from Little Caesar's while the public walks around with their kids. It's just not authentic so they are always looking
                  That would really be something cool to participate in!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Working...