Mexican Produce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Produce

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've been thinking (which is always dangerous) :)

If the epicenter of this Swine Flu is Mexico, even if it's not, how safe is the fresh produce, vegetables and fruits etc that we get from Mexico?

If the flu has gone from swine to people and now it can go from person to person, and we ALL KNOW that sanitary conditions aren't exactly great in Mexico, what if an infected field worker is harvesting our vegetables. Can we get infected?

Should we soak our vegetables in a vinegar water bath? Would that even help?

I posed this question to the MN Dept of Health and they sent me (after 5 people) to an a person in Epidemeology and she is supposed to call me back.

I'll update if I hear from her but I thought it an interesting point.

I dont think you would need to worry to much.. Most of the farms are no where around Mexico City.. Most of the crops are grown in central a northern Mexico.. The bulk that is shipped here comes up through Nogales Mexico.

But anything could happen.. never know..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Watching the news last night there was a doctor on that was asked how the virus was transmitted. She said that you have to come in contact with "respiritory expulsion" from an infected person. In other words "da dude has to cough on ya"..... She said that once the moisture from the cough dries, the virus is no longer dangerous.

Don't let anyone cough on you!!!! This smiley seem way more appropriate for this application than something good to eat

Comment

Just heard back from the Dept of Health.
        The lady said excellent question and something they will have to add to their website.

Answer: NO you don't have to be concerned.

She said the virus is a very fragile virus and it can only sustain itself outside of the body for about 1-2 hours. She said the 1/2 day to full day it takes for fresh mexican produce to reach minnesota is more than enough time to kill any viable virus.

Perhaps I need to unplug my brain or reboot it! :)

Comment

well if you don't know - ask, nothing wrong with that :-)
          With something like this I'm not sure you can be too careful :-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

You're right, and with them shutting down schools and wiping everything down and sterilizing it makes one wonder.

Also, on the CDC website it said that the US Govt was telling ALL schools in America to be prepared to shut down for the year and start summer vacation early this year if the virus spreads.

Stuff like that gets your mind to spinning.

I don't give a crap if I get sick but my Wife and especially my Kids! NO WAY especially if I'm buyin all the fresh stuff to cook with.

I don't want it to be my fault especially if it's an easy fix like a vinegar wash or something. I could never forgive myself if I didn't wash a vegetable and something bad happened.

Comment

The elementary school they shut down in Richardson Tx is right behind my wife's work maybe 400 yards...
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Nothing wrong with being concerned or wanting to be educated, its alot better than spreading false rumors, or stirring panic needlessly. Thanks for giving us some facts.

If anyone gets a chance to read the CDC documents and comprehend them, you will find that this virus has been around many, many years, and very few people have died form it. It also states that alot of piugs have come in contact with it, yet have not contracted it or the symtoms.

I am not saying that it is being blown out of proportion, cuz it is serious business, but we know how the media works!

Its always a good thing to wash all vegetables if you possibly can, even if you grew them yourself.
                Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Makes me feel good about my first harvest from my garden.

Fresh Cilantro
                  Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                    Makes me feel good about my first harvest from my garden.

Fresh Cilantro
                    you should be SHOT !

LOLOL..........j/king

still close to another month before we can even PLANT

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
                    X