UDS exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UDS exhaust question

The lid on my drum has no holes in it yet and I'm trying to decide what I want to do for the exhaust. I don't know if I want to do the 8 1/2 in holes evenly spaced or a 2 in hole like the bung. Thoughts?

I think that will probably be more your preference...just I would make sure that whatever you choose is enough exhaust but not soo big that you lose it too fast. Maybe some of the guys with more knowledge can chime in. Personally I would probably do the 1 hole that way its easier to cover up (unless you have a cover for the smoker) for weather issues.

Comment

I'd find a Weber lid.
      sigpic

GOSM/propane
      UDS (Cam)/lump
      22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
      Weber Genesis/propane
      Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Started of with the flat cover with just the 2" hole. Draw was fine and I never noticed the hot spot near the exhaust some talk about. What I did find though was that moisture condensed on the inside of the cover, picked up smoke particles and dripped back down onto the meat. NOT tasty! I now use a Weber top. Plenty of draw, more vertical space, better fit and whatever moisture condenses then rolls down the top to the edges and harmlessly down the sides of the drum.
        Last edited by Smokin' Dick; 01-19-2012, 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Originally posted by Smokin' Dick View Post
          Started of with the flat cover with just the 2" hole. Draw was fine and I never noticed the hot spot near the exhaust some talk about. What I did find though was that moisture condensed on the inside of the cover, picked up smoke particles and dripped back down onto the meat. NOT tasty! I now use a Weber top. Plenty of draw, more vertical space, better fit and whatever moisture condenses then rolls down the top to the edges and harmlessly down the sides of the drum.

Yup thats what I did also. I heard the reports of people having condensation issues, so before I ever used mine I found me a Weber lid..
          sigpic

Comment

I am currently looking for a weber lid...but using my flat top for now with just one of the big screw on caps for my exhaust.

Comment

I have a 2" and a 1/2" to 1" (not sure which one) which were the bung holes on the lid and I have had good luck with mine. I also have a charbroil dome lid which I use if I need more room on the top lid. My bun holes have threads on them and I have been meaning to install little smoke stacks but I don't know if it will effect the performance at all or not.
              Propane Smoke Shack
              UDS
              Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'll just go with the 2 inch hole for now. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
                  I am currently looking for a weber lid...but using my flat top for now with just one of the big screw on caps for my exhaust.

Check your local dollar store when they put the weber knock-offs back out this spring. You can get a weber knock-off grill for half the weber price. Either that, watch driveways on trash day, garage sales and Craigs list. Heck, it don't hurt to scan the shouldres of the highway either, somebody out this way is always losing q grills of one kind or another on their way to the lake.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                    Check your local dollar store when they put the weber knock-offs back out this spring. You can get a weber knock-off grill for half the weber price. Either that, watch driveways on trash day, garage sales and Craigs list. Heck, it don't hurt to scan the shouldres of the highway either, somebody out this way is always losing q grills of one kind or another on their way to the lake.
                    Agree with this and what SmokinDick said. I have the condensation going on but will scrape it off or run it 'hot' for a bit to take care of it. I have the knock-off domes just no gumption to get my welder friends to fix them up.
                    Glen
                    Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
                    KCBS CBJ
                    Blue Thermopen
                    Profile:
                    http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Working...
                    X