Deejay's Intrepration of Parrano Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deejay's Intrepration of Parrano Cheese

I actually made this cheese back in February. This cheese is a gouda with lipase which make's it Dutch with a little Italian mixed in. Has a sweet nutty flavor with an aged parmesan back flavor. I really like it alot. Melts well and goes good by itself or a nice accent for pizza. I tried this last winter and got a pot holder and free block of cheese for telling them I used it on pizza. Turned out real simple to make as I said it's a gouda with lipase!

Here's the cheese out of the press

and here it is 7 months later going to work with a smoked bologna for snacks.

and here's my recipe ...

Deejay's Parrano Recipe – Netherlands

Parrano is a pasteurised cow's milk cheese with a mild and nutty taste, combining salty and sweet flavours. It has a semi-firm texture and a smooth, golden interior. It is produced in 10 kg wheels and is matured for 5 months.

Combining the flavour of aged Parmesan with a pliant texture, Parrano is marketed as an Italian-style cheese. Taglines have included "The Dutch cheese that thinks it’s Italian" and "Sort of Italian." However, Parrano is technically Gouda although its flavour is more pronounced than that of traditional Gouda.

Uniekaas is the exclusive producer of Parrano, a trademarked brand.

This is my interpretation came out perfectly it is really good aged and greated as well.

Ingredients:
    7 Gallon Raw Whole Milk
    1/2 tsp. MM100 Culture
    1/4 flora danica
    1/4 teaspoon Kid Lipases
    12 drops of Annatto mixed in ¼ cup distilled water (optional)
    Calcium Chloride if using pasteurized milk
    Rennet per manuactures recommendations

Process:
    Heat milk to 86°F.
    Add annatto and mix well.
    Sprinkle cultures over milk and wait for about 5 minutes to rehydrate cultures - then mix well.
    Ripen for 5 minutes.
    Desolve lipase in 1/4 cup water and allow it to rehydrate for 5 minutes.
    Mix rennet in 1/4 cup of water and add to milk - stir for 2 minutes.
    Check for flocculation using a multiplier of 2.5 to 3 to determine time to cut curds.
    Check for clean break then cut curds to about 3/8 inche pieces.
    Let curds heal for 5 minutes.
    Gently stir curds while waiting for the pH to fall between 6.40 and 6.45.
    While waiting for the target pH - Heat a pot of water to 130°F.
    Once the target pH is reached you can begin washing the curds.
    The whey temperature by the third wash will be about 100 to 103°F.
    Drain 1/3 of the whey and replace with equal amount of 130°F water. Whey should not exceed 103°F.
    Stir curds for another 5 minutes.
    Drain 1/3 of the whey and replace again with 130°F water. Whey should not exceed 103°F.
    Stir curds for another 5 minutes.
    Drain 1/3 of the whey and replace again with 130°F water. Whey should be 100 to 103°F.
    If the curds have not yet reached 100 to 103°F heat the curds until they reach the proper temperature.
    Cook the curds for 20 minutes stirring occasionaly, then allow curds to settle on the bottom for 5 minutes.
    Drain the whey to within about an inch of the curd mass.
    Press curds in the vat under the whey for about 10 minutes with about 8 pounds of weight.
    Drain the whey from the curds.
    Break up curds and pack them into cloth lined molds.
    Press with about 5 pounds of weight for 15 minutes.
    Flip cheese in the mold press again for 15 minutes with 5 pounds of weight.
    Flip cheese in the mold press again for 15 minutes with 5 pounds of weight.
    Flip cheese in the mold press again for 15 minutes with 10 pounds of weight.
    Flip cheese in the mold press again for 3 hours with 15 pounds of weight.
    Submerge cheese in plain water for about 1 hour.
    Remove from mold and brine for 16 hours in a saturated brine solution.
    Age cheese for 3 to 5 months.

Whey pH should be about 5.6 to 5.7. Curd pH should be about 5.4 – 5.5.

Parrano Originale aged 5 months
    Parrano Robusto aged 9 months
    "Parrano Olifesta Parrano Olifesta is a wonderfully creamy 50+ dairy product prepared with olive oil. Glorious little sun-ripened tomatoes and Italian herbs are added to this dairy product.
    "
    Smokers:
    ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
    SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
    River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

WOW! I was just trying to figure out the whole bread making thing, and this pops up

It looks really cool and you explain it like its a walk in the park.

Comment

Very,Very nice...thanks for sharing.......

Comment

Beautiful cheese, Debi. Now you know why I don't make my own cheese.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Great post Deb, thanks so much! I have Annatto seeds, not sure why I bought them, one of my drunken internet shopping sprees I suppose. I really need to get some molds and press. I've only done mozzarella, cream cheese, goat and yogurt. I enjoy the art of cheese making. I would love nothing more than to serve my guests cheese, bread and sausage that I made meself.

Comment

Nice post!!!!
            Tour the New Rig Here!

Sgt. USMC '79-'85

S-M inmate number 12

RIP ronP

Comment

That looks fantastic . It on my to-do list

Comment

Looks and sounds great Deb. Gotta get on this cheese thing soon. The brewing bug got ahold of me a few weeks back so I have to nurture that for a while lol
                https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Very nice Deb! On my "someday" list!!!
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Awesome Deb!! One of these years I will get along further than the mozzarella I've made a few times. I think next I want to do a ricotta, which I know is as easy as mozz, I want to do a homemade lasagna with everything being made by me, except the parm. Some day maybe!!!

Mustang electric smoker
                    King Kooker vertical gasser
                    Charbroil silver smoker
                    Earnhardt Jr smoker
                    Brinkman smoke n' grill
                    a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Really cool. I need to grt back to the cheese thing again. I suppose I told you when I made cheddar once, I built the press from some sheet stainless I had laying around. But I used pine as a watchyamacallit and my cheese tasted like pine. Live and learn. That looks fantastic............ and thanks

Comment

There's a great place for molds and a good basic mold for cheap is Glengarry Cheese or Dairy Connections

http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/

I have spoken with Margarette Morris on the phone many times and she is a real sweetheart. I would like to meet and work with her one day. She has a book she published on cheese making and it is very good. My only complaint is there is no index but still well worth the money.

http://www.dairyconnection.com/

I have visited with the folks at Dairy Connections in Wisconson and they too are wonderful people. I was going to buy a tome mold while I was there and he said "You know you can buy one from Margarette less - that's where I get them!" was so impressed with this I bought not only the mold but about $100 worth of cultures as well. Probably saved on shipping anyway but I has a blast there.
                        Smokers:
                        ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
                        SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
                        River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Comment

Working...
                        X