ButterKase with Almonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ButterKase with Almonds

I had 3 gallons of milk left over and 1 quart of heavy cream. I decided to make a quick and easy cheese - Butterkase. Butterkäse has a buttery taste and a creamy texture that melts in your mouth. It makes a great snack cheese and goes well with beer. I melts well and is wonderful in a mac n Cheese or a carmelized onion, mushroom and bacon cheeseburger! It generally comes in the shape of a loaf but I used my mini 450 gram kadova molds.

I often have the urge to eat almonds with this cheese so I decided to add them to the cheese.

Smokers:
    ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)
    SunJoy horizontal with left side firebox (aka - Lefty Lucy)
    River Grille - Black Ceramic Egg (aka Black Egg)

Smoke preference:Combination of Charcoal, Hickory, Apple, Cherry & Pecan wood.

Very nice again......I too like cheese and nuts with beer etc.......Neat way to put it together.......

Comment

They look and sound great!! I like the sound of that with a couple beeeers.
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Ok Deb, now that I've cleaned of the dribble (and had a beer), any chance of a recipe for this?????? Huh, maybe please, purty please?
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

OPPS! Sorry!

ButterKase - German

Butterkäse is a loaf-shaped cheese made from pasteurized cow's milk with golden natural rind. It is a creamery, semi-soft cheese made both in Germany and Austria.

Our Butterkäse is German-made. As the name says, it has a buttery taste and color and melts in your mouth. It is very good with a glass of beer as it is spicy and pungent."
          Butterkase is a semi-soft cheese with a 50 percent fat content.

4 gallons whole milk
          1 quart heavy cream
          1/2 teaspoon Thermophilic Type B starter
          Calves Rennet

Warm milk to 96°F
          Add starter stir and allow to ripen for 30 minutes.
          Raise heat to 107°F
          mix rennet with 1/4 cup of pure water
          check for clean break then cut curd into 1/2 inch cubes.
          Allow curds to rest for 5 minutes then stir gently for 15 minutes.
          Allow curds to settle to the bottom then remove 1/3 of the whey.
          Replace whey with equal volume of water at 140°F.
          Stir curds for about 45 minutes then drain into cloth line mold.
          Press lightly with 10 pounds of weight
          Soak in plain water for about 20 minutes then brine in 1/2 gallon water and 2 cups of salt for 2 hours.
          "Air dry and age at 50°F and RH of 80% for 1 to 2 months or more.
          "
          Smokers:
          ECB -The Brinkman All-In-One Bullet type Water smoker aka -Baby Bink)Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24 Inch propane smoke (aka -Black Beauty)

Comment

Thank You!!!!!
            Mark
            sigpic

Comment

Your most welcome!
              Smokers:

Comment

Working...
              X