Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef question....

Well beef tongue at least...
    Has anyone ever smoke one? can you pull it for tacos? I know the lengua tacos are yummy.. so I thought perhaps smoked and pulled would be really yummy for tacos... any information will be appreciated, thanks in advance!!
    Kelly

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Hey Kelly, you know I have cattle. But I have never been able to cook or eat certain parts of them. I don't think you can pull a tongue, but I could be wrong. I think it might be a little to lean for that. But if ya can, it ought to pack quite a bit of meat in a small package. I know you can smoke them with great results, a guy I know does it all the time and loves it.
    sigpic

Comment

I think Wayside or Chef boy did one several months ago...
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

chef boy did one a couple of months ago....i do not know if it was here or the other site...as david says i think its too lean but you could chop it with good results....when i do a chuck roast i prefer to chop mine instead of pulling....i have heard tongue is really good but......eating tongue or even thinking about eating tongue kinda of gross me out...
        Mike
        Oklahoma City
        22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
        Weber 22.5 Performer
        GOSM 3405gw
        Boomer Sooner Drum
        Maverick ET-732
        Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
        A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

it was the other site.
          Can't remember the result.

I buy pressed tongue. great in sarnies with chutney :-)
          Not sure about pulling but it should smoke up a treat :-)

have to admit though that I'm disappointed - lots of double entendre's you could have had for a title ;-)
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-29-2009, 09:09 AM.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
            it was the other site.
            Can't remember the result.

I buy pressed tongue. great in sarnies with chutney :-)
            Not sure about pulling but it should smoke up a treat :-)

have to admit though that I'm disappointed - lots of double entendre's you could have had for a title ;-)
            LOL! I didn't want to get into trouble!

I am surprised about how many of my partners on here don't like tongue!

Thanks for all the input, I guess I am gonna pick one up and just punt eh? Its not that $$ and what the heck

David I am praying your weather lets up my friend!!

Comment

Thanks TH for the shout out but it wasnt me. Tongue tacos rule. Im sure it will pull. Its beef. My best buddy growing up was the son of the slaughter house owner. Ive eaten about every part of a steer possible. Liver is the only one that doesnt do it for me. Tongue is very good. You know, tastes like chicken. LOL. Go for it. Nothing to lose.
              SCOTT

Comment

Alright Scott if your going to go on encouraging the eaten part of this cow we might have to take a look t getting that laptop out of your hands. Tongue Taco's are not for me. You know, there is another part at the other end some people sem to like. I won't touch it either.

It is nice to have ya posting back here man.
                sigpic

Comment

Ain't happenin....I ain't that hungry!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by davidmcg View Post
                    Alright Scott if your going to go on encouraging the eaten part of this cow we might have to take a look t getting that laptop out of your hands. Tongue Taco's are not for me. You know, there is another part at the other end some people sem to like. I won't touch it either.

It is nice to have ya posting back here man.
                    Thank you Scott, I ditto Dave, its great to have you back!
                    LOL!! Dave!

I am in a part of the country where we have lots of "authentic" mexican food and tongue tacos are the normal.. I have tired them, and I do enjoy them, have tried the brains liked that also.. I have tried the rocky mtn oysters, don't like those, and well that other part your talking about, it could taste like pumpkin pie but I am never gonna know!

I just put it on the smoker and lets see what happens..
                    I just wanted to get it done before Cabana boy gets home so he has no idea what it is. I will tell him there are celibratory tacos for his Ducks winning... Pictures to follow, I will try to get one when he is eating the tacos and then when I tell him what he is eatin'...

I thought it was a lean piece of meat but it says on the computer it is 75% fat? so It seems to me that is enough fat to break down to a pull stage??
                    I am using the mesquite that Ryan gave me..

Wish me luck!!!

Comment

Us ol' boys out here in the flatlands actually throw parties where only mountain oysters are the main staple and we deep fried them. Of course the beer flows. Nuts and beer is a fantastic party. I know there are lots of folks who request the nuts. Yummy. can you imagine what cowgirl could do with a batch. Gourmet mountain oysters. Probably start a food chain.
                      SCOTT

Comment

Like I answered on the OTHER site once, tongue is great. But I've only had it a few ways. My mother would boil the heck out of beef tongue or heart, dice it and put it in gravy. Kinda like giblets. Dad takes the deer heart and tongue and makes an awesome shepherds pie. But again, boiled first.

It is one tough piece of meat. Just not sure how you're going to smoke it and make it edible. If I suggest boiling it first, Bubba might hunt me down. Lol.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Up for some tongue?

I went on line and learned that beef tongue is about 75% fat.. read a lot about boiling it, but thought what the heck?

So here it is rubbed... strange looking piece of meat, and the butcher told me to leave the "skin" on, next time I will take it off, it was some hard bark to get off after smoked...

smoked it at 250* with mesquite, pulled it at 190* while the smaller tongue side was a little tough, the bigger side was pullable for sure.. strange piece of meat..

I chopped most of it here...

here are the insides of Cabana boy's burrito

Here are the kids eating, Cabana boy had finished his first burrito then I told him what he was eating, he said its good and it's meat I'm eating it, but on the other hand, Gigi, was then done! LOL!

Thanks for joining in this new adventure!! It was really good, try it ya never know! I would like to say it was an inexpensive piece of meat but it was $3.99 lb, I thought it would be cheaper...

Happy Smokes!

Comment

Sister, Points for being tough. No tongue for this guy! It does look good.
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Was mouthwash the drink with the meal ? ... ...

Comment

Working...
                              X