initial UDS start to temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• initial UDS start to temp

How long does it take you guys to get your uds up to the temps above 200* plus?

Too many variables in that question. Depends on outside temps, winds, amount of coal used to start. If I had to say, maybe 15 minutes.

Guess I never really timed it, but rather focused on what the temps were and backed the dampers down BEFORE the target temps were reached.

It's allot easier to bring the temps up vs. trying to bring em back down.....
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I was just wondering...im having a hard time getting it to ramp up today. It rained a lot lot the past few days here and today is very moist like in the air...wonder if that has a lot to do with it?

Comment

Not sure where you live, but if you have humidity, that can affect the charcoal. I have had lump charcoal that I had sitting on concrete last year that I swear just "felt" damp.

If that were the case with you, it should hot enough inside that drum to drive out and residual moister before too long.

Your therms accurate?

It's all a learning process. Every drum reacts a bit differently.
        Took me several smokes before I figured out how MY drum worked/reacted.
        https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

I hope they are accurate.. I need to test them...of course its the little 3" probe ones on the side of the drum ....they both read close to each other. The bottom grate reads a little lower (i am guessing cause heat rises).....i was using cheap grocery brand briquetts, but i went and got some kingsford blue and threw on top....temps started rising then. I think after that bag is used...i will try out some lump next time.

Comment

Where were you storing the charcoal?

From the time I dump the 10 or 12 lit briquettes on top of the unlit lump and lower the basket into the drum, it's hitting 200° AS MEASURED IN THE CENTER in about 20 minutes. At that time the side thermo will be reading 150° to 175°. It takes awhile for the entire drum to heat up for the side thermo to read 200° which is about 240° in the center -- probably 45 minutes. This is without a deflector.

BUT, I don't put any meat on until the smoke pretty much clears -- usually an hour or so after I light it.
            CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
            -
            "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
              Where were you storing the charcoal?

From the time I dump the 10 or 12 lit briquettes on top of the unlit lump and lower the basket into the drum, it's hitting 200° AS MEASURED IN THE CENTER in about 20 minutes. At that time the side thermo will be reading 150° to 175°. It takes awhile for the entire drum to heat up for the side thermo to read 200° which is about 240° in the center -- probably 45 minutes. This is without a deflector.

BUT, I don't put any meat on until the smoke pretty much clears -- usually an hour or so after I light it.
              What he said. 20 min average.
              Chris
              UDS - Buckeye 1
              Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
              GOSM Wide Body
              Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
              2 Dutch Ovens
              Cabelas Grinder
              Cabelas Jerky Blaster
              Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
              Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

I usually figure 30 minutes as I like to slowly bring my UDS up to temp. As was mentioned it is way easier to bring the UDS up in temp rather then down in temp. If I want to run at 225 I will usually try to get it to 200 and maintain that and then when I add the meat it will run up to around 225 when I open the lid.
                Propane Smoke Shack
                UDS
                Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                sigpic

Comment

I have a real basic uds, and use the minion method to start with about 10-12 fully lit briqs. It only takes about 10 minutes to reach 225, and I'm usually cooking on thin blue to invisible smoke within 30 minutes. I scratch my head when I hear people say they need an hour to pre heat their uds.
                  sigpic

Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump

Comment

Originally posted by El Ropo View Post
                    I have a real basic uds, and use the minion method to start with about 10-12 fully lit briqs. It only takes about 10 minutes to reach 225, and I'm usually cooking on thin blue to invisible smoke within 30 minutes. I scratch my head when I hear people say they need an hour to pre heat their uds.
                    I'm just guessing, but Austin is probably 65-75* during the day this time of year. I'm not sure where most of these responses come from but here in cheesehead country it's upper 20's average this time of year. Thus the longer warmup time.

Comment

Working...
                    X