Makin Fresh Mozzarella with some cute helpers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makin Fresh Mozzarella with some cute helpers

We have become good friends with one of our 4H families and their girls love to come cook with us. I decided to make some cheese today so I called and two of the three were available

Here they are heating up the milk

Curds are starting to form

Removing the curds so we can form the cheese

You can see the cheese in the bowl cooling while they made some bread with Mrs Scar - this one really gets into her work

This is the only shot I got of the cheese. They went thru it so fast it was almost gone before I could save some for their parents

Thanks for looking
    Scarbelly

Always good when ya got someone to help out. I really want to get on this cheese gig and I think, from what I read anyhow, Mozzarella is one of the best ones to start with. Love Mozzarella cheese. Ya done did good Scar.
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
      Always good when ya got someone to help out. I really want to get on this cheese gig and I think, from what I read anyhow, Mozzarella is one of the best ones to start with. Love Mozzarella cheese. Ya done did good Scar.
      It is a no brainer - one of the easiest things I have ever made and damn tasty too
      Scarbelly

Comment

Originally posted by Meat Hunter View Post
        I really want to get on this cheese gig and I think, from what I read anyhow, Mozzarella is one of the best ones to start with.
        Ricotta is supposedly simple too... some homemade cheeses, sauce and even pasta. That would make a fantastic lasagna!

Cheese looked like it came out great, I may not be that cute but would be more than happy to come over and snack on some fresh homemade cheese
        There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Nicely done sir!!! And cute li'l helpers ta' boot!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

way to pay it forward boss.

Its up to each and every one of us to teach the younger generations what food is, and how to make it. Otherwise they will learn to settle for questionable enhanced meats, Oscar Mayer, & Kraft for their food choices.
              Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

awesome, gary - always nice to see some good, old-fashioned wisdom (in the form of DIY how-to and self-reliance) going from one generation down to the next - it provides hope for the future!

i'm out of points for now, but will try to remember on the re-load!
                Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
                Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Originally posted by chisoxjim View Post
                  way to pay it forward boss.

Its up to each and every one of us to teach the younger generations what food is, and how to make it. Otherwise they will learn to settle for questionable enhanced meats, Oscar Mayer, & Kraft for their food choices.
                  Well said sir. Me sweet little Brianna is coming for spring break and wants to make cheese. That's awesome Gary what you and the missus do for the 4-H kids. We talked about this once before, but I think I would like to get involved in the way of food. Got any ideas? Guess I could contact the local 4-H folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                    Well said sir. Me sweet little Brianna is coming for spring break and wants to make cheese. That's awesome Gary what you and the missus do for the 4-H kids. We talked about this once before, but I think I would like to get involved in the way of food. Got any ideas? Guess I could contact the local 4-H folks.
                    I would contact the local 4H group and see what they have going in the cooking area. Most of them have a really basic program where they teach them how to make one thing at a time like a meatloaf or something real generic. We take the kids that come out of that program and run them thru ours. We only do the class once a month so it does not interfere with their other activities and we stop when the start showing the animals in May.
                    Let me know if I can help - I have the recipes we have tested with the kids and have used for several years. I would take your classes in a heartbeat!
                    Scarbelly

Comment

I know that people who make cheese will say to buy I think rennet or there is a way to do one of them with vinegar I think, but when I first tried doing the mozz, I bought this kit. I'm sure it's more expensive than just buying the rennet, but I felt safer going this route...

http://www.cheesemaking.com/30-Minut...cotta-Kit.html
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

nice

actually that kit's very good value for money:
                        Kit contains enough ingredients to make Mozzarella 30 times using our own easy recipe! The whole process takes ±30 minutes!!! For those of you who have goat's milk, this recipe works like a charm. Our Mozzarella recipe may also be made with powdered milk (recipe included)! To see the actual recipe, click on the 'More Information" tab above. Recipe booklet also includes recipe for quick and easy Ricotta, as well as a small variety of recipes using these two cheeses.

CONTENTS: Dairy Thermometer (E3), Butter Muslin (U2), Citric Acid (C13), Vegetable Rennet Tablets (R4), Cheese Salt (S1) and Recipe Booklet
                        $24.95 for 30 batches of cheese, just add milk - works for me :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by shellbellc View Post
                          I know that people who make cheese will say to buy I think rennet or there is a way to do one of them with vinegar I think, but when I first tried doing the mozz, I bought this kit. I'm sure it's more expensive than just buying the rennet, but I felt safer going this route...

http://www.cheesemaking.com/30-Minut...cotta-Kit.html
                          I also bought a kit and the reason I did is so we can send all the 4H kids home with enough to make one batch at home. I think the kit I got makes 36 batches
                          Scarbelly

Comment

Dude. That is cool. Points for sharing & points for showing the younger generation how to make outstanding from scratch food.
                            Chris
                            UDS - Buckeye 1
                            Charcoal Grill - Panther 1
                            GOSM Wide Body
                            Cabela's Masterbuilt 7-1 Electric
                            2 Dutch Ovens
                            Cabelas Grinder
                            Cabelas Jerky Blaster
                            Maverick ET-73 Thermometer
                            Maverick ET-7 Thermometer

Comment

Great pics and story, the best part is helping and teaching the kids. Great job all around!
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X