Kitchen sink jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen sink jerky

Well, once again my best laid plans got foiled, though in all this turned out alright.

I had a hankering to make some jerky a couple weeks ago, so I stopped by the store on the way home from work and bought a 4-ish pound top round roast. Snag #1, turns out that what I grabbed wasn't the best piece of meat. It was a nice strip of lean beef wrapped around a complete hunk of junk. I ended up using just the thin piece that was wrapped around the outside, the inside was too much gristle and fat to be useful. Make good stew though. Dunno, never bought a top round before, so maybe that's normal. So I cut it up into pieces about the width of my finger. I like the bigger jerky nuggets. Came out with just shy of 2 lbs of useable meat after trimming the fat and silver skin.

So on to snag #2. I had planned on using some Hi Mountain jerky seasoning that I'd had sitting in the cupboard for a while. Got the cure packet out, weighed it and coated the meat with it. No problem there. Pulled the spice packet out and apparently it had been sitting in the cupboard way too long. It had melted into what had the consistency of saltwater taffy. Guess the sugar in it got too hot and melted? Dunno. Anyway thought for a while about heating it up in some water to make a marinade with, but decided that in the shape it was in I wasn't going to chance. So the meat with the cure sat in the fridge a couple days to cure.

Now to the 'kitchen sink' part. Since I didn't have the spice mix I figured I'd just make my own outta whatever looked good. I don't quite recall everything, but there was some red wine, garlic, cayenne, brown sugar, sweet chili sauce, A1 sauce I think a little black pepper, and probably some other stuff too. Mixed it up real well and threw it in the fridge again to marinate.

Snag #3. I had planned on making this last weekend, but Saturday morning we got a call that my mother-in-law was being admitted to the hospital. Blood pressure was somewhere around 240/130. Not sure how she avoided a stroke or heart attack. Anyway rushed up to the hospital and spent the entire three-day weekend there. Finally got her BP down to normal, but she still has pulmonary hypertension and low blood oxygen. They sent her home on thursday with meds and oxygen.

Anyway, I finally got to get the jerky going Sunday morning. I skewered about 6 pieces each on bamboo skewers and hung them from the racks in the bandera, fired up the A-maze-n smoker with hickory and added a couple briquettes of kingsford blue. Smoked it at about 80 degrees for 6 hours. Then I took them out of the smoker and put them on jerky racks and into the convection oven at 100 degrees for another 8 hours. Some of the real thick pieces still have a little chew to them, but most of it is just right. Pretty good flavor too. Starts off with a nice red wine flavor, then gets a little bit of sweet, and finishes off with a touch of heat. Pretty good for just throwing the kitchen sink at it.

Hunk o' meat:

Marinating in the bag

After marinating, draining a little on the jerky racks before getting skewered

Smoking away

After 6 hours of smoke

All done. They show up a lot darker in the pics than they actually are. They're a nice mahogany color.

Thanks for looking
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Sounds good, especially the bit of heat at the end.
    Glad it came out, though if you market the idea I don't know if kitchen sink is what you want to call them
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Eye of round works a bit better IMO.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Looks like it came out great
        Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
        Weber 22.5" WSM
        Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
        Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
        Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
        Weber Smokey Joe
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Pit Barrel Cooker
        Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
        6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
        Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
        The Vortex

Comment

Hope your Mother in Law is doing better

Jerky's Looking good

Comment

OUch dude! That Top round was expensive. Right now, Safeway over here has London Broil family packs for 2.39 lb or something. I have a couple in the freezer but I am going to pick up another today exactly for the reason that when I get the urge, I don't want to have to pay 5 bucks a lb for that stuff. Jerky looks good though. Kitchen sink is where it's at :D I like the thick strips you made too. I am going to have to make some more jerky next week!
            I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
              Sounds good, especially the bit of heat at the end.
              Glad it came out, though if you market the idea I don't know if kitchen sink is what you want to call them
              Thanks FIU, I can't stop eating them so they must be good! lol, I will have to re-think the name if I go to market with them

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
              Eye of round works a bit better IMO.
              Yeah that was the other cut I was looking for, but they didn't have any so I just grabbed the top round. Next time I'll make sure I find an Eye. Thanks!

Originally posted by Doug S. View Post
              Looks like it came out great
              Thanks Doug!

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
              Hope your Mother in Law is doing better

Jerky's Looking good
              Thank you. She's doing better with the oxygen but still not out of the woods yet. Plus she pretty much refuses to wear the oxygen outside the house. Crotchety old lady. lol.

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
              OUch dude! That Top round was expensive. Right now, Safeway over here has London Broil family packs for 2.39 lb or something. I have a couple in the freezer but I am going to pick up another today exactly for the reason that when I get the urge, I don't want to have to pay 5 bucks a lb for that stuff. Jerky looks good though. Kitchen sink is where it's at :D I like the thick strips you made too. I am going to have to make some more jerky next week!
              Seems like meat is hella expensive over here no matter what the cut is. It's not uncommon to pay upwards of $8/lb for brisket flats. Dunno why but they seem to think meat is golden around here. I try to stock up when I can, but lately even the sales haven't been that good. Shoot our local safeway has pork loins "on sale" for like $4.99/lb. I see others on here get 'em for as low as $2/lb.
              Mike
              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                Seems like meat is hella expensive over here no matter what the cut is. It's not uncommon to pay upwards of $8/lb for brisket flats. Dunno why but they seem to think meat is golden around here. I try to stock up when I can, but lately even the sales haven't been that good. Shoot our local safeway has pork loins "on sale" for like $4.99/lb. I see others on here get 'em for as low as $2/lb.
                Mike, the jerky looks great!

Is there a Cash & Carry near you? or Restraunt Depot? ..... They have great prices on meat..... Our local Safeway in Olympia does have some good sales from time to time also & the BOGO
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X