Homemade soft pretzels and pretzel rolls - a long and detailed thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade soft pretzels and pretzel rolls - a long and detailed thread

For many years I experimented with making bread, cookies, other basic baking staples but never attempted to make soft pretzels or pretzel rolls (both of which I love) because I just assumed they would be a real pain.
    Boy oh boy was I ever wrong. They are so simple and so delicious that once you try them you won't ever need to buy them from the store again!

Pretzel Rolls

Ingredients:

1 1/2C warm water
    1T sugar
    1 1/2t table salt
    2 1/4t yeast (or one pack .25 ounce) (or 7 grams)
    4 1/2C flour (scooped into measuring cup with a spoon and lightly tapped down then leveled off.
    2T butter, melted then cooled to room temperature

10C water
    2/3C baking soda

1 egg yolk beat with 1T filtered water
    Pretzel salt or kosher salt for topping

Pour warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer, add the salt and sugar and mix until dissolved. Sprinkle the yeast over top and allow to set 5 minutes until foamy.

After 10 minutes add flour and melted butter, mix on low until the dough just begins to come together

Crank the speed up to medium for 5 minutes or until dough is slightly shiny and easily pulls away from the side of the bowl.

Place dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat and cover with plastic wrap in a warm, draft free area for 55 minutes or until doubled in size.

Punch dough down and divide into 16 pieces on a lightly oiled surface (I did some pretzels and some rolls but recipe makes a total of 16-18 depending on desired size)

(also tried both on floured and oiled surface and oiled works the best.

Pull the sides up and pinch together at the top of each ball (this makes sure you have a smooth and round shape to your roll)

Turn over, cup your hand over each ball and roll into a round shape

Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or wax paper and oil but parchment works the best)

Cover with a light towel and let rise for 30 minutes. 15 minutes in start a large pot with the 10 cups water and baking soda over high heat until boiling.

Once rolls have risen and water is boiling drop in 2 at a time into the solution, top side down first and simmer for 30 seconds then flip over with a slotted spatula and simmer for another 30 seconds.

Allow to drain on a cooling rack for 3-4 minutes then brush with the beaten egg yolk and 1T water, sprinkle with salt and slide onto parchment lined baking sheet using the spatula then cut a small slit into the surface of each roll with sharp knife.

Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 12 minutes or until nice and brown. (If no parchment paper then brush the baking sheet with oil or crisco and lightly sprinkle with pretzel salt or cornmeal before baking)

Pretzels

*If doing just pretzels you can up the melted butter in the recipe to 4T for a richer and more buttery soft pretzel.

If making pretzels use the same recipe (with the additional butter if desired) and same mixing and first rising procedure, then divide the dough out on a lightly oiled surface into 16 pieces (never use flour because that can prevent the pretzel rope from sticking together) and roll each piece into a 24" rope.

(Pretzels only need to rise once and do not require a second rise like the rolls)

Twist into a pretzel shape (extremely easy once you try a few) - (sorry no pics of shaping it but was single handed)

*When joining the two ends to the bottom of the pretzel pinch tightly

Place onto parchment lined paper. (picking up by the bottom pinched ends seems to be the easiest.

Drop into boiling water and baking soda solution, top side down first, 30 seconds per side then onto a rack to dry for a few minutes, brush with the egg yolk and water then sprinkle with salt and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. 6-8 will fit depending on size, they don't rise too much while baking.

12 minutes at 425 until nice and brown

For the pretzel roll I topped with some loose Hungarian Bratwurst sausage slices.(smoked of course)

To store rolls place in an airtight container or bag.

Pretzels and pretzel rolls are best fresh from the oven or reheated.

They can also be tightly wrapped and frozen for up to 3 months.
    Last edited by Fire it up; 01-24-2012, 04:36 AM.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

That's Frickin awesome FIU. You make it sound to easy, I might have to give this a go.
    thanks for sharing the great tutorial.
    sigpic

Comment

Cool stuff, thanks for the pics, still working on my bread making skills. Your step by step and pictures will help my average.

Last edited by nickelmore; 01-28-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Neat stuff, FIU, thanks for posting it
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ok I am making these for the wifee...I will get major from her!!! Thanks man... oh yeah for you as well!!
          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
          Yoder YS640
          Weber Genesis
          Weber 18.5" Kettle
          Weber Performer
          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

FIU - WAY COOL.

The fam loves pretzels and I've never seen the step by step process.
            Off the hook, brother and going to the top of my to-do list!

Comment

Great Job FIU!

My DIL makes good soft pretzels.

She was experimenting with trying to keep them warm for a few hours.
              Nothing seemed to work too good. She even tried the Crock Pot on low.
              Don't remember what happened, but it wasn't good.

Anything you know of, other than letting them cool, and then reheating?

Thanks,
              Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I knew I'd been saving some for something, and this is definitely it! Excellent job and thanks for the recipe and tutorial.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

That is pure awesomeness sir!!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

That's great! Thanks, and here's some points.
                    Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Very nice work Jimmy!
                      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

nice man, way to set the bar high and knock it out of the park.

Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

I make sourdough pretzels a lot, but never pretzel rolls.
                          from me for sure. I'm going to try sourdough pretzels rolls today. Ironically, my wife just asked if I wanted her to take a starter out, since she was feeding them.

Tom

Comment

nice. made the list man! great to have you backposting your great postsman!

been a long time since i had a fresh real pretzel...
                            Last edited by erain; 01-24-2012, 01:27 PM.
                            Charbroil SFB
                            GOSM
                            MES
                            Dutch Ovens and other CI
                            Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                            Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Excellent post FIU! I have tried them once and .....didn't do so good. Now I know why!! Thank You, I'll have another go at them.
                              Mark
                              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                              Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Working...
                              X