Dehydrating Peppers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrating Peppers

i have had these peppers in my freezer since last late summer and i want to dehydrate them and grind them....there is jap , cherry , thai , and misc peppers...question is they are wet because they have been frozen , and mushy , and wrinkley ..i would think they would be ok but you pepperheads out there what do you think....would they be ok or am i wasting my time....
    any advice....thanks

Mike
    Oklahoma City
    22.5 Generic (gettin ready to be dismantle for the Drum) Kettle Grill
    Weber 22.5 Performer
    GOSM 3405gw
    Boomer Sooner Drum
    Maverick ET-732
    Various Cast Iron Skillets and Dutch Ovens
    A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Put them in the dehydrator... when done split and spill the seeds ... your good to go for grinding..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I don't have have a dehydrator , but I put them in my warming oven on my smoker and they did fine, they dried out really nice. They were not mushy at all, matter of fact they still had a nice crunch to them, and then I ground them up for seasonings.
      20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
      36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
      22" webber
      several burners
      pool/spa (of course)
      sigpic

Comment

i have found, splitting em first, and deseeding werks best...........unless you are making crushed red pepper flakes.......then you dehydrate whole, you need the seeds........this is the stuff you put on pizza's

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

"i have had these peppers in my freezer since last late summer and i want to dehydrate them and grind them....there is jap , cherry , thai , and misc peppers...question is they are wet because they have been frozen , and mushy , and wrinkley ..i would think they would be ok but you pepperheads out there what do you think....would they be ok or am i wasting my time....
          any advice....thanks"

as others have said, you will be fine using them as you please. But you may want to start out by putting them on the smoker for a while that will give them a wonderfull smoke flavor. this will not fully dehydrate unless left on for a very long time. when I take them off the smoker I put them in a shallow metal or foil pan and set them in the sun to dry more.if left in the sun several days, you will not have to put them in the dehyderator. but if your in a hurry just plop em in the dehyderator and that should take care of it.
          sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
          nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

ok here they are....i went ahead and dehydrated them for about 24hrs....i think some of these could have gone longer were a little wet...but overall they came out nice ....packaged up twice so the humidity here wont affect it...now just to come up with some rubs or sauces or something so i can start using....any ideas

Mike
            Oklahoma City
            Weber 22.5 Performer
            GOSM 3405gw
            Boomer Sooner Drum
            Maverick ET-732
            A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
              ok here they are....i went ahead and dehydrated them for about 24hrs....i think some of these could have gone longer were a little wet...but overall they came out nice ....packaged up twice so the humidity here wont affect it...now just to come up with some rubs or sauces or something so i can start using....any ideas

Now that you have gone that far. I believe most folks make the peppers a lot finer for rubs, although I like seeing the seeds on meat. you might want to run them thru a coffee mill.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                Now that you have gone that far. I believe most folks make the peppers a lot finer for rubs, although I like seeing the seeds on meat. you might want to run them thru a coffee mill.
                yea i need to look into a coffee mill or spice grinder.....i planted about 20 pepper plants this year so i am planning to do more pepper rubs this summer...thanks for the heads up
                Mike
                Oklahoma City
                Weber 22.5 Performer
                GOSM 3405gw
                Boomer Sooner Drum
                Maverick ET-732
                A-MAZE-N 6X6 Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by doctor phreak View Post
                  yea i need to look into a coffee mill or spice grinder.....i planted about 20 pepper plants this year so i am planning to do more pepper rubs this summer...thanks for the heads up

Doc, some will say differnt, But when the peppers are dry, pop the stem off removing the top of the pepper and remove the seeds. I think they are bitter tasting when ground up, whole is differnt they just pass through you with out any real taste. But when you grind them up fine. I believe you will be able to taste a bitter flavor that I do taste and find it unepealing

Comment

I agree... fresh no problems.. But when they been smoked or dried.. They tend to taste bitter..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      I agree... fresh no problems.. But when they been smoked or dried.. They tend to taste bitter..
                      Ditto, ditto!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Doc. I put a bunch of habeneros, serranos and jalepenos on the smoker yesterday, they were off and on for 15 hours are better when I hit the hay last night I closed up the grill put a small piece pecan on and left the peppers there till this morning. the serranos were huge looked like chilis instead of the normal smaller serranos. when I checked on them this morning they of course were still moist. but full of smoke. so I put them on this big metal pan and out to the sun they went. I guess they will be there at least a week till dry. then to the grinder top make powder out of them.
                        there are four older mexicans working out side on the concrete forms.they speak no english. so I thought ..these guys have eaten hot peppers for years and I will see what they say about this. thumbs up all the way around. just have to rinse them off a little before grindin. they say to much work on the peppers just eat them lol. and it's wimen work not men's lol..(dryin peppers)

Comment

Working...
                        X