Some Bambi jerky...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Bambi jerky...

A friend that I used to work with brought me about 45# of venison to make him some jerky and burger. After slicing and trimming about 30#, I got 15# of 85/15 burger and 15# of 1/4" sliced for jerky.

Here is the jerky out of the brine and draining over the sink.
    drain.jpg

Here it is all racked up and dusted with ground garlic and some with black pepper.
    racked.jpg

All tucked in the smoker ready for about 8 hours of pecan smoke.
    smokeer.jpg

Here I have the burger all ground up ready for bagging while the smoker does it's thing
    ground.jpg

And the finished product before bagging.
    finished.jpg

I get to do the jerky thing all over again tomorrow with another 15# resting in the brine now.
    Don..

2 of me best buds ever! R.I.P guys

That looks like some great jerky, Don. I'd even have a burger for lunch made with the ground venison.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Thanks Bassman, I'll have another 50# to do in a couple more weeks. Jerky and summer sausage that time.
      Don..

Comment

Couple of questions if you don't mind. What are you brining with and for how long? Also, at 8 hours of smoke you don't get any complaints of over smoked meat? Just curious. I can actually see that working. I think mine usually go for about 5 hours and I guess they aren't that smokey. Sounds killer though! I want some deer jerky!
        I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Looks Excellent Merrell
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
            Couple of questions if you don't mind. What are you brining with and for how long? Also, at 8 hours of smoke you don't get any complaints of over smoked meat? Just curious. I can actually see that working. I think mine usually go for about 5 hours and I guess they aren't that smokey. Sounds killer though! I want some deer jerky!
            This is my basic brine recipe...
            BRINE RECIPE

1/2 GAL SOY SAUCE ---> Kikkoman is best <$5.00 @ sam's club
            1/2 GAL WATER
            2/3 C BROWN SUGAR
            1/3 C TENDERQUICK
            2 TBS EACH GARLIC, ONION, BLACK PEPPER

Sometimes I will sub some of the water for apple juice. The original recipe called for 2 cups red wine. I never have used wine.
            I will make this by the gallon and use what I need to cover whatever meat I am using. I brine for 36-48 hours in 36-40 degree fridge. Drain in colander or on one of my jerky racks for an hour. I always lay flat on racks instead of hang. After on rack I will dust with more garlic or black pepper or jalapeno or habenero powder for the heat lovers. Put in smoker for an hour with door cracked at 130*, then go 150* with smoke for 2 -3 hours and finish at 175 - 180 however many more hours till I am satisfied with the dryness. I feel laying it flat takes longer, but I don't get all the flavor dripping off all over the bottom and loosing that much flavor. Been doing it this way for 20+ years. I do try and keep the smoke light for the whole smoke and it is not over smoked. This last batch actually smoked for about 6 1/2 hours in my homegrown pellet smoker. Out of 15# of venison it will yield 6 - 7# finished. Beef will yield closer to 50%. Now that I have given the world my secret recipe, I'll be out of business. Really it pretty much came from the Luhr Jensen recipe book. Hope that answers yer questions. Enjoy.
            Last edited by merrell; 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM.
            Don..

Comment

I do like me jerky but venison is a premium around here lately.. So No way I'm wasting it on jerky.. But I digress..

I bet it was some goood chit too...
              Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

when do you start adding your smoke in,soon as you add the jerky in or an hour or so later?
                i love to Smoke....Smoke meat that is..

Comment

Originally posted by megastevie View Post
                  when do you start adding your smoke in,soon as you add the jerky in or an hour or so later?
                  I have done it both ways. I think it helps to let it dry a little for the first hour and then smoke.
                  Don..

Comment

thanks.ive got a rack in tonight..and thats what i plan on doing about a hour of drying then a LIL smoke...maybe 1 hour of smoke a small pans worth..then just finish till dry..

Comment

Keep after it. If it doesn't suit you, keep playing with it. We are here if we can answer any questions.
                      Don..

Comment

Hey Don, thanks for explaining and for posting your brine. I have little doubt that a personal touch still separates your jerky from the next. The little nuances often take the good to great
                        I haven't had any good venison jerky in decades. My buddy was supposed to be bringing me some elk to work with but I haven't heard from him. guess I'll have to give him a call.......
                        I rub it every chance I get!

QUOTE = Meat Hunter

Granted, all this is just in my head. Until I win the lotto, or my career as a stripper pays off, I'm forced to use the kitchen counter....

Comment

Originally posted by someAZdude View Post
                          Hey Don, thanks for explaining and for posting your brine. I have little doubt that a personal touch still separates your jerky from the next. The little nuances often take the good to great
                          I haven't had any good venison jerky in decades. My buddy was supposed to be bringing me some elk to work with but I haven't heard from him. guess I'll have to give him a call.......
                          I have used this same recipe / method on deer, elk, caribou, black bear, turkey, goose and pork loin. Worth tryin'
                          Don..

Comment

Originally posted by megastevie View Post
                            thanks.ive got a rack in tonight..and thats what i plan on doing about a hour of drying then a LIL smoke...maybe 1 hour of smoke a small pans worth..then just finish till dry..
                            How did yours turn out there Megastevie???
                            Don..

Comment

Originally posted by merrell View Post
                              How did yours turn out there Megastevie???
                              turned out exellent...let dry a lil over a hour..then lite smoke for 1 hour.then dried for 6 more..took a total of 8 hours.i think letting it dry a lil first is the way to go...thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                              X